Other > Off Topic

Want to make an LP of an Arcen title? Go right ahead!

(1/3) > >>

x4000:
Take screenshots, take video, monetize the video, put the LP that makes you money, whatever.  No issues with any of it, for any of our games!  You don't need to ask for our permission to talk about (in print or in video) our stuff.  Free speech FTW!

And when it comes to the monetization thing: heck, newpapers have always had advertizements while ALSO asking you to buy the print copy.  The subjects the papers were writing about didn't ever complain about this, I don't think.  (The second-order effects of sensationalism in the news and other ill effects when you're talking a business model about news as entertainment is very much a tangent and specific to news, I think.)

The obvious stuff about not claiming you made the game, or sharing ways to pirate or whatever, are all we ask you not do. 

Cheers!  And thanks for taking the time to want to talk about our stuff. :)

Draco18s:
Kind of relevant here.

Youtube is apparently changing its policy regarding videos with gameplay footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35P2-kVuHKI

Details seems scarce, but basically it looks like if you make a video review of some game, that video belongs to the published of that game and not to you and the publisher earns money from your work.

x4000:
Well, we certainly won't be accepting any money from other folks' videos.  Hopefully YT sorts all that out what with the clamoring of people who hate these changes.

I guess I can understand that for people who are publishing videos of TV shows or whatever... I mean, those are at least like mediums.  But taking a video of playing a game?  Give me a break!

Draco18s:

--- Quote from: x4000 on December 12, 2013, 09:13:15 am ---Well, we certainly won't be accepting any money from other folks' videos.  Hopefully YT sorts all that out what with the clamoring of people who hate these changes.

I guess I can understand that for people who are publishing videos of TV shows or whatever... I mean, those are at least like mediums.  But taking a video of playing a game?  Give me a break!

--- End quote ---

Just spreading the word. :)

And it appears that they're specifically targetting gameplay videos with this new change.

(Then I wonder: if someone makes a gameplay video of TerraFirmaCraft or BetterThanWolves...who gets the revenue?  Mojang because it's Minecraft, or the mod developer, because it's a total conversion and almost none of Minecraft's original content is left?  Including even large portions of the underlying codebase have been replaced wholesale.)

x4000:
I guess maybe in that case Youtube keeps the money? ;)

And yes, thanks for spreading the word -- it is good to have our position clarified in this post, anyway.  We also just today updated our Contact Us page to include a thing about this subject, too, because Josh had noticed it a few days ago also.  I forgot about this post, though, so great to have it here also.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version