Author Topic: The worst space game ever?  (Read 24375 times)

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
Re: The worst space game ever?
« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2016, 04:21:53 am »
So that's why this thread showed up again. I figured this was just a little too old to still be going on. Cool! Especially all the part in the middle about neurological disorders. Quite fascinating to read now, years later.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2016, 09:17:07 am »
I think this thread despite being old is still valid and worthy ;) Also

# Death Space 1 and 2 were awesome and 3 was totally meh, 3 completely squandered the entire potential (open world with dynamic infection, survival and cooperation with survivors on the station to escape) instead it was a stupid stompy stabby shooty game...

# Infinity Space 3 is.. not my thing.. although space

# Consortium .. will never *forget* my first experience with it, got stuck on literally the first door and couldn't proceed. How can you even.. contemplate releasing a game like THAT? Although I guess today it's kinda decent... and weird.. also not really space since it's a dimensional shuttle plane thing.. ;p

Also just to complete the reply, I think Get2Gether is one of the *worst* things that ever scratched game development. I already said it before but I consider game development by committee a really bad idea ,) And seems for Endless Space 2 they learned a few lessons.. http://forums.amplitude-studios.com/forumdisplay.php?59-Endless-Space-2

Also judging from the design documents they had a few similar ideas to Stellaris
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 10:45:51 am by eRe4s3r »
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #107 on: May 30, 2016, 10:13:17 am »
Also just to complete the reply, I think Get2Gether is one of the *worst* things that ever scratched game development.

Yes, yes it was.

Trendy is doing something similar with DD2.  I told them it was a terrible idea before it started, told them why it was a terrible idea, namely that having the vote totals visible at any point before the voting ends will produce skewed results.

Worst part of it has been the recent "which hero next" votes.
Why?
1) All of them will get added eventually so there's really no point in voting
2) It was a 3-way contest, top 2 "got added" and the third one went into a second round of 3-way.  The people who wanted the Barbarian had to spend twice as many points as anyone else (all other influence votes, the losing side was refunded the points).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 10:17:19 am by Draco18s »

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #108 on: May 30, 2016, 11:06:25 am »
Don't get me on DD2. They have fucked up so many times, I finally decided to deinstall the game.
The only reason why I kept up with this much crap was because I paid for the game (before it went free) and thought that I have to get my money worth of it.
Have I got it worth? In terms of gameplay time maybe (80h exactly) but int erms of fun? No. While the controls are a lot easier to handle, mainly because every hero has only a small portion of towers and abilities he had in DD1, the game itself reeks of "F2P". But not in the good way.
Can you have fun free to play? Yes, it is not pay to win (except you can for some reason buy bags only with gems instead of medals), so you don't have to throw your money at them. Their main income was cosmetics, some costing already 10$. I say "was" because their new income seems to be new heroes. They produce new heroes at a very fast pace instead of fixing old problems. They released Ayss Lord and a lot of people say he is probably the most op hero in the game. He is probably the "lazy" mode of DD2. He summons creatures, that have a big attack range, especially the skeleton archers which, when positioned right, can oversee an entire map. And then you can overclock them, so they are even stronger, mainly the archers attack not a single enem but everyone in sight. The Abyss Lord is also the first hero that has some sort of "super tower" that he can build only once but move freely around after that (with a small building duration).
After Abyss lord they released EV2, a new version of EV from DD1. I cannot say anythign about her because that's when I tapped out of the game.
The thing is, every new hero costs 12.000 medals, a new currency they introduces just for the heroes (but is now used on anything else to give the illuwwion they are useful for anything else). Before that we had the "Wyvern Tokens" which basically fullfilled the same role as the medals but are now worthless. You can still spend them but you cannot get them anymore, so basically they were removed fromt he game. Why do you do this, why do you remove a perfectly functional currency and replace it with soemthign else that does exactly the same but has a different name? And why, if you do that, do you not transfer the Tokens into the new currency? Because Trendy (the developers) want that you have to grind hardcore for the new heroes they release. And yif you cannot, you have to pay real money. A new hero costs slightly less than 15$ on release, 20$ if you want that shiny costume with him (of course). And when you finally scratched tigether every single coin you've foudn to buy it for free, the next hero is released. And they are already doing the next one and I tell you it will become ready next month. They release new heroes now every new month, each will cost the maximum amount of medals that you can hold (12.000) when they come out, they will drop this to 10.000 after the first 2 weeks.
Also, for some reason, the ability spheres of the new heroes (which give you some stat bonuses and special abilities) can only purchased for medals, not for gold (unlike the oney for the four standard heroes). So even if you get the new hero, you won't have medals to buy his ability spheres.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2016, 12:34:38 pm »
but int erms of fun? No. While the controls are a lot easier to handle, mainly because every hero has only a small portion of towers and abilities he had in DD1, the game itself reeks of "F2P". But not in the good way.

Preaching to the choir.

I will, however, point out that heroes went from 5 towers/2 abilities (total 7) to 4 towers/3 abilities (total 7).  So technically not a net-loss.

I haven't bought any costumes, I didn't agree with some of the pricing (fiery huntress my immediate response on seeing it was "THAT is a skin I'd pay $10 for" and then they wanted $30).  I also didn't like the cost on the abyss lord or the hard cap on medals being exactly the same as the cost for a new hero (12,000).  And yes, I disagree with the decision to phase out wyvern tokens, I thought that was dumb.  I think the reason they did it was so that people (by which I mean everybody) couldn't free-purchase the abyss lord day 1.

The abyss lord is the most OP hero in the game and I don't like it, but apparently that's the benchmark for the "new balance."  (Ignoring the strategy revamp, of course).  His "super tower" is the colossus.  And yes, you can only build 1 (per abyss lord you have in your collection; someone did some really silly stuff because of that).

EV2 I dislike in so many ways.  So many.  You have no idea how much I hate her kit.

Offline broilab

« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2016, 04:38:20 am »
Duke Nukem Forever
Plumbers Don't Wear Ties

They are the worst.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2016, 08:34:49 am »
Duke Nukem Forever
Plumbers Don't Wear Ties

They are the worst.

Uh not even close. Duke Nukem Forever may be a bland, run of the mill shooter, but it is in no way *bad*. It's an average shooter at best, but not bad in any way.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk