Author Topic: The worst space game ever?  (Read 24382 times)

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
The worst space game ever?
« on: March 13, 2015, 10:17:33 am »
http://store.steampowered.com/app/265770/

Check out some of the reviews on this one.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
Re: The worst space game ever?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 11:07:16 am »
No, that would be Sid Meier's Starships: http://store.steampowered.com/app/282210/

Oh wait, it's evened out.

But I'm pretty sure there's a worse rated game than that one....just can't think of the name.
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 11:37:30 am »
Must be starcraft, there aren't even any stars! (/sarcasm)

More seriously I think of Sword of the Stars II
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 01:58:16 pm »
X Rebirth, that's another one that seems to get a lot of hate.
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 02:48:29 pm »

Ah yes that too. I think both that and SotS2 get so much hate is that because they are not only bad games, but come from games which were very great.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 01:29:23 pm »
X Rebirth is actually getting a lot of praise since a recent patch apparently. Sid Meyer's Starship was bad but I found some positive reviews. I can't find a single positive review for the one I posted. Actually I don't know another game on Steam that's rated that badly lol.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline WingedKagouti

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 02:07:44 pm »
The most positive words I've heard about Master of Orion 3 is that the engine isn't broken and there are mods that make it a not so terrible experience to play.

The only reason that game didn't fall into obscurity is the name.

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Y PzKpfw Tiger!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 06:05:16 pm »
I actually quite liked MoO3, and never got into the firs two parts. But I also started out with the third, so my experience is probably fundamentally different.

Star Drive is a nomination of mine, along with Distant Worlds.
But honestly now - there is such a tremendously, mountainously large pile of bad space games, it's very much harder to find a truly good one than to stumble into puddles of bad ones.

Edit: I just vomited up some pieces of Endless Space. F?ck that sh!t.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 06:08:19 pm by Shrugging Khan »
The beatings shall continue
until morale improves!

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 06:53:26 pm »

Thread over.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 06:59:56 pm »
But was that actually a space game? :P

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 07:23:33 pm »
...along with Distant Worlds...

What didn't you like about it?

(There IS a lot to not like, just curious which specifically you didn't.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 08:16:33 pm »

Ah yes that too. I think both that and SotS2 get so much hate is that because they are not only bad games, but come from games which were very great.

No SOTS2 gets the hate because the devs dropped it like a rock and scammed everyone when they offered refunds for a very limited period of time but promised they will patch the game to greatness and reward people that don't ask for refund, only to a month later drop support for the game entirely. People have not forgotten. I sure haven't.

Rebirth on the other hand will never be a good X game. But if you do a mindwipe it is in it's half-assed state barely acceptable ;)

Can't talk about Sid Meiers Space ships, but Beyond Earth was already bad, and so it doesn't surprise me Sid Meier lost touch completely as to what actually makes a game good. Or maybe his name is only attached to get sales.. After CIV BE and Starships SID MEIER name is likely tainted ;/
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline doctorfrog

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2015, 01:31:43 am »
Sid Meier's Starships as a title sure sounds like a return to form, something inventive, fun, maybe slightly brilliant, and ultimately approachable. I pictured designing star ships from the ground up, sending them out, conducting fun but intricately balanced battles.

But no, it's basically a dull amalgam of everything Firaxis did for the last 15 years.

On the other hand, I'm now going to fire up Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space.

To contribute a scorn-title, Dark Star One got a lot of hate for promising to revolutionize the universe and being merely decent and bland. Least, that's what I could tell since the copy I bought wouldn't run on my machine back then.

Beware of any review that starts out "we ____ gamers/enthusiasts," of course.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 01:36:48 am by doctorfrog »

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2015, 03:22:24 am »
Star Drive is a nomination of mine, along with Distant Worlds.

Hm, I'd heard that Distant Worlds: Universe was actually pretty good... is there some aspect of it that ended up being a problem?

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Y PzKpfw Tiger!
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2015, 09:45:48 am »
I might be about to step into that same old beehive again, so tell my family I love them if I don't make it out alive this time.

I really really don't like Distant Worlds. I tried hard to like it since there are some good ideas behind it (free market economy, non-involvement by the government, and above all the very important outsource-whatever-you-like-to-the-AI, which every game should have), but almost all other aspects and the execution are thoroughly off-putting to me.
It's been a year since I last touched it, so I won't be going into all the details.

Combat: All around horrible. Could just as well not exist or be entirely abstracted.
Writing: Clichés. Nothing but. I don't know whether it's laziness or aggressive, laborious intent to bore. Includes the races - sh!te.
Economy: Good idea, but the execution makes no economic or even logical sense.
Visuals: Ugly. And a suprisingly resource-intensive kind of ugly that won't even run on my notebook. Impressive for a 2D game.
Treatment of space: It could just as well not be set in space. Space is meaningless to the game.
AI: Unusually for games this large, it can actually handle all areas of the game. Sadly, it's not at all good at it.
Gameyness: Again, clichés lifted straight from any other game. Calling it GalCiv - Free Market Edition would not be far off.

Argh. I can't think straight about it.
The beatings shall continue
until morale improves!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk