Author Topic: The Trump topic should be unlocked  (Read 5295 times)

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
The Trump topic should be unlocked
« on: February 02, 2017, 12:07:05 am »
The ignore button is not against the terms of service.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
Re: The Trump topic should be unlocked
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 12:11:11 am »
I think locking the thread was a little over the top but I can understand Miserys thought process in this.

Also, your attitude... is a little off. Misery has a different view of things than you. Actuzally, A LOT of people have that. But will you block every single one in your life because of that?
Maybe you should just... let go. It's easier that way.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 12:18:20 am »
The reason why I locked it is similar to why the gun topic got locked:  Eventually, there's a point when it just becomes clear that things are starting to go too far.  It's not about super-strictly following some terms of service agreement, that's not how moderation works; there's a point at which discretion must be applied, and in this case, I'm the one in the situation to have to apply it.  It's true, we didn't exactly have a screaming flamewar in there.  But it was still very clear that things were going south fast.  Heck, when the Ignore button comes out.... that's ALWAYS a sign of something gone wrong.  I hate to think that ANYONE here should ever really feel the need to ignore anyone else.  Honestly I feel like I've screwed up somehow anytime that should ever happen.

Hopefully nobody here is TOO bothered by the locking.  Frankly, I should have spotted the signs earlier than I did and locked it sooner, to be honest.  I apologize for the fact that any of it went like this at all, everyone.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 12:31:01 am »
Fine whatever, I guess some people are just like this. I'm done with this.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 11:11:40 am »
There was a fair amount of silliness and pettiness going on in that topic. I'm glad it's gone. Let it stay dead before things get really nasty.

As a sidenote, this strengthens my viewpoint that people just can't discuss politics civilly.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 11:40:23 am »
There was a fair amount of silliness and pettiness going on in that topic. I'm glad it's gone. Let it stay dead before things get really nasty.

As a sidenote, this strengthens my viewpoint that people just can't discuss politics civilly.
It depends on the people discussing. I've had plenty of civil political discussions with people who didn't share my viewpoints.

However, these same people weren't resorting to personal attacks when I didn't agree. When the creator of the thread decides from the outset that he's going to attack and belittle anybody who disagrees with his opinion, there's essentially no chance that doesn't devolve into chaos.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 05:17:38 pm »

Yeah, pretty much.

I mean, okay, TECHNICALLY maybe it's possible to have a political discussion NOT suddenly cause the nearby area to catch on fire, but it seems so very likely.   Hopefully we just plain wont get any more of that around here.  I mean ,really, there's a gazillion other things people could talk about that aren't politics, right?

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 05:21:21 pm »
What about religion?  :P

That was a joke. Yeah it might be a good idea to instalock politics threads in the future.

Well there was at least one politics thread that went okay right? The mass shootings one. Or maybe it didn't. Can't remember.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline WolfWhiteFire

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 06:00:21 pm »
eah, pretty much.

I mean, okay, TECHNICALLY maybe it's possible to have a political discussion NOT suddenly cause the nearby area to catch on fire, but it seems so very likely.   Hopefully we just plain wont get any more of that around here.  I mean ,really, there's a gazillion other things people could talk about that aren't politics, right?
The reason why I locked it is similar to why the gun topic got locked:  Eventually, there's a point when it just becomes clear that things are starting to go too far.  It's not about super-strictly following some terms of service agreement, that's not how moderation works; there's a point at which discretion must be applied, and in this case, I'm the one in the situation to have to apply it.  It's true, we didn't exactly have a screaming flamewar in there.  But it was still very clear that things were going south fast.  Heck, when the Ignore button comes out.... that's ALWAYS a sign of something gone wrong.  I hate to think that ANYONE here should ever really feel the need to ignore anyone else.  Honestly I feel like I've screwed up somehow anytime that should ever happen.

That kind of stuff is why I tried throwing in that preemptive comment about being relaxed, the thread getting closer and closer to a hate fest, to try to disagree in a nice way, and having an open mind and the such, I was hoping to keep it from going south, knowing how toxic politics can be and how it can bring out the worst in people, at least it didn't get all that bad before it was locked and most people were taking it well.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 06:17:20 pm by WolfWhiteFire »

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 06:53:26 pm »
What about religion?  :P

That was a joke. Yeah it might be a good idea to instalock politics threads in the future.

Well there was at least one politics thread that went okay right? The mass shootings one. Or maybe it didn't. Can't remember.

That one went south too, got locked.  Just not by me.   It was even more of a total mess than this one was.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk