Author Topic: Stellaris  (Read 23148 times)

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
Re: Stellaris
« Reply #105 on: May 18, 2016, 07:01:32 pm »
Paradox have unveiled some of their plans for the next free patches. It includes fixes to sector AI and some more midgame content and diplomacy options.

I expect this is going to be a game that will only improve with time.
This. As stated earlier; the core is great for the most part. It just needs more stuff and a fix here and there.
Uh, the core is not great "for the most part" imo....
While I agree with pretty much every complaint you have, I think that Stellaris can be fixed without any major modifications to the core.  Bug fixes, more events and crises, more personality for Leaders and Races, improved combat, expanded national relations...  The framework to support all of this is already there, but the game was released without the substance.

I think the absolute biggest problem right now is the lack of reasonable victory conditions.  If there was something to do, something to aim for, after the initial exploration and expansion phase, then I would probably enjoy the game much more.  I expect this is the result of a Grand Strategy design team trying to dabble in 4X world without really understanding it.

Looking back at Crusader Kings 2, for example, the expansions added so much additional content that the current product is almost a different game - yet it's still built on the same core principles.  I can't imagine playing vanilla CK2, and I hope that it a year or so, after a few expansions, Stellaris will be equally as good.

Even if it doesn't, I enjoyed the first half of the few games I've played.  That makes it better than Star Drive, or Pegasus, or SotS2, or... the number of failed 4x games these past few years is amazing.
Actually, Stellaris in its current state reminds me a lot of Distant Worlds: Universe - decent ideas not fleshed out, and poor execution in places.

Well I agree with you obviously and that it is better than all those 4X you mentioned is obviously true, and maybe that says more about the quality of games in this genre in the recent years than any rating could... Stellaris is insofar the best 4x, but that does not mean it is, right now, a great 4x.

We'll see what the (free?) updates bring to the table....
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
Re: Stellaris
« Reply #106 on: May 19, 2016, 01:53:39 pm »
I guess we'll just agree to disagree. I find Stellaris to be pretty darn good. But yes, it does have issues, but nowhere near to the extent you're suffering. Maybe I'm just more tolerant/clueless.

I just find it extremely nice to have a 4X that doesn't bog down into a microfest with 10 hour long turns by the endgame. That said, the sector system really needs an overhaul, as it's borderline broken for all the good things it does.

I also miss a couple of diplomacy option, such as demanding the release of a system without war, outright CONQUERING a system (it goes back to them if they surrender unless they agree to give it to you) and the ability to really pressure a weaker empire. It feels like vassals really don't do anything unless you go to war, where they will support you. But what are they otherwise? They're just a bother.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk