Author Topic: Steam Summer Sale  (Read 10918 times)

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
Re: Steam Summer Sale
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2016, 08:18:11 pm »
I played The long Dark on the PC of a friend. This was however half a year ago I think? So a very old version of the game. Since it is in early access this means that the game most likely had changed a lot of the stuff.
The amazing (but also annyoing) part is, how realistic this game is. Not only does it show you if it's cold or warm, it checks for internal temperature and environment temperature, so our clothes keep soem of the temperature away but won't warm you forever, if your internal temperature drops too low you slowly freeze to death. And that's not even the only thing you have to keep running. Food and drinking are also typical basic needs. I think sleeping as well (exhaustion). And all your clothes will eventually wear off, you either have to regulary repair/flick them or exc hange them for new clothes.
What i didn't like back then, colelcting wood was simply "open a window, select a task and how long you want to do this task and then the game simulates how successful you have been". Every other game int he same genre let's you simply search or harvest stuff on your own. You are dependant on your own skill to find stuff. But depending on a random luck factor is not good for these games. I hope they have changed this already.
There wasn't also very much to do, you looked for  ashelter and when you found one you stayed there until you either run out of wood, clothes or food. There was nothing more to do. and after that you simply looked for a new shelter. There was no reason to explore the world, shelters were always full of stuff.

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2016, 08:54:45 pm »
http://store.steampowered.com/app/493420/
Oh wow. i don't know what to say anymore. The saddest part about this is, that the developers believe this is a good deal. For whom? Them?
Seriously, a 100$ dlc, ouch. Even the 50% price drop on the sale cannot reduce the amount of stupidness on this one.
But... it says the pack is worth $204!  I can get that for just $100 in the pack, and 50% off during this sale.  That's amazing!  Instead of the roughly $10 per item original price, I'm getting minor cosmetic updates for only $2.50 each!

I'd buy that for a... hmm, no, maybe I won't.  I am impressed at the gouging there.  That's even worse than the "Music player" DLC a bunch of games have been trying out lately.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2016, 09:02:42 pm »
Music player dlc? Do you mean official soundtrack?

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2016, 09:41:29 pm »
Nope, those actually have some value (although rarely as much as they're asking).

What I'm referring to is stuff like this:  http://store.steampowered.com/app/491940/

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2016, 10:24:29 pm »
Nope, those actually have some value (although rarely as much as they're asking).

What I'm referring to is stuff like this:  http://store.steampowered.com/app/491940/
well that's different but I don't really see the issue there in that case in particular any way since its literally free.
c.r

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2016, 08:01:01 am »

well that's different but I don't really see the issue there in that case in particular any way since its literally free.
That one is free, yes.  One of the others that popped up in my queue was $5 (for more than 5 songs, though).  This was just the first one I found.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2016, 11:46:17 am »
http://store.steampowered.com/app/493420/

Oh wow. i don't know what to say anymore. The saddest part about this is, that the developers believe this is a good deal. For whom? Them?

Oh geeze.  I hadn't even seen this yet.
And it doesn't include the "actually kind of OK" costumes (flaming huntress, electric monk).  Also, I'm not sure about their $204 claim.  "Optimistically" I get $178 (each hero is $15, each skin is $8).

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2016, 02:08:21 pm »
Only thing I was considering was Space Rangers HD but my game list is already so long...
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2016, 03:02:20 pm »
The list of suggested games is becoming more and more terrible. Today was the worst. Steam shoves me literally any Visual Novel or homosexual Dating Sim in my face desptie me clicking always on "not interested" when they appear in my normal list.
This system is so terrible, yesterday it showed me at least some good games but today. This was literally everythign I would never play in my life.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2016, 03:34:23 pm »
Add "dating sim" to your blocked tags (click the "customize" link just above "next item in queue")

Most of those are in your queue because "they're popular" or because "its on sale" which bypasses any learned user-specific data.  And no, you can't disable those reasons.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2016, 03:37:18 pm »
Okay, thank you.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2016, 05:47:21 pm »
I'm having a fun time with STASIS. It's a good game and it's fun to guess what might have happened. It also has (at the moment) no action sequences what I like. Modern horror games tend to go with the police "in order for a game to be scary, you have to hide from monsters that chase you). You can die in STASIS, but you won't die because some stupid monster saw you hiding in a corner. You die because you made a mistake and mst of this mistakes are obvious.
Spoiler for Hiden:
After all it isn't a good idea to poke a high-pressure tank full of acid with a drill.
You can also use some of the items you find on yourself and commit suicide. There does not seem any value to that other for seeing a cutscene and getting the corresponding achievment.
The game uses jump scares, most horror games use these nowadays, it is the easiest way to scare someone, but they also use a thick amosphere and text logs to describe what happened without being to explicit.
All you read I that somethign went horribly wrong but no one actually has an idea what happened because the whole spaceship has been locked down and the people are seperated in different stations.

Edit: Additional note. Some of the puzzles are a little hard. There was one thing that I would never have foudn out if I haven't seen it in the video. It's probably the only real dumb puzzle int he game. Most puzzle solutions aren't obvious but make sense when you find them out. But this one? I have no idea why they would make such a thing, it doesn't even fit the tone of the game. For those who have the game and want to know what I'm talking about, here is a spoiler.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I talk about the puzzle where you have to tear of the arm of the insect queen. Why? Because you can cut open the amber on a tree and get tree sap which you need as glue. The thing is, the puzzle is timed. You can interact with the queen at any time but she will just eat you. But in some occassions she will wave her arms in the air and in exact that moment you have to grab her and tear one arm off. Seriously, how do people find stuff like this out? it isn't a very clever puzzle and liek I said before, this timed based stuff does not fit the rest of the game. But whatever.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 01:10:06 am by TheVampire100 »

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2016, 01:29:00 pm »
Finished STASIS. Damn, this game was fantastic. The story was so overwhelming and terryfying. For those who want to read the story but don't want to play the game, here is a spoiler:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Basically the game centers around John, the proganoist, who was with his family on a space trip to their vacation. They were all in stasis but were kidnapped, like many others before and after them, and brought to the Grimlake, a research spaceship of the Cayne Corporation. They did many different researches them and used human test subjects but the main goal was to creat teh perfect super soldier that is easy to control via genetic modification. This was called project SEED.
The goal was to impregnate women with a new, improved DNA and create hybrid humans. The project leader however had his own plans, he rather wanted to create a new human species and wipe out the old one. After many failures he finally found the correct way to create hybrids that can survive on their own. After he created a great mass of them, he released them on the ship, so they kill every crew member. After that he will simply let the hybrids do their own kind of "evolution" thing and eventually let them out of the ship, so they can start to wipe out the rest of humanity. At that point he is already mentally unstable and thinks he is some kind of god.
After three months most people were dead and John got released for some unknown reason of the stasis. he starts to search for his wife and daughter in this madness. He comes across the remains of the killed crew and their pdas where he learns the story behind the events. Eventually he is contacted by a woman that helps him to find his daughter but Dr. Malan, the crazy project leader, sabotages him. In the end John lands at the medical station where the hybrids have been created. He destroys in a fit of rage everything which does of course not please Dr Malan. He lets a hybrid loose on John's daughter and he has to watch his daughter die. The woman contacts you again and assures you that the wife can still be saved, so you move to the place where she is supposed to be but you find the woman captured by Malan. After you kill Malan but are hurt yourself, you get told by the woman that you have been used by her, so she can find the wife of John. His wif has been used as breeding station for the hybrids and was a perfect host, so she is worth a lot of money as research. The woman wanted to get the wife but couldn't find her. She then wants to escape with a ship but is killed by John. With no hope in escaping anymore he at least releases his wife with the escape ship. In the ending scene it is however revealed that his wife was already long dead at this point and only her body had resaerch value.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2016, 03:27:44 pm »
seems like I might just play stasis provided it doesn't try to hard to scare me (if you get what I mean) I usually find horror games irritating because of that
one game that genuinely manages to scare me consistently though funnily enough is a roguey game called duskers http://store.steampowered.com/app/254320/
c.r

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2016, 07:02:40 pm »
Played Golf with friends. Big like. Can suggest it. It's still early access but it is already good. There are currently three courses in the game, three additional are planned.
Only downside of the game so far is that some holes rely too much on trick shots. I think in a minigolf game trick shots should be an extra, not a needed ability. If you can do them, you are rearded with a better position and less strikes but you still can do the hole normally.
However, some holes are made that way, that there are multpipleregions and you have to shoot the ball via a ramp to another region. Oasis has the most emphasis on trick shots, Forest the least. Twilight is somewhere between these two.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk