Author Topic: Steam Summer Sale  (Read 10915 times)

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
Re: Steam Summer Sale
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2016, 07:33:44 pm »
And now I feel very silly for waiting for a Nuclear Throne discount. Apparently, that's not even a thing.  :o
Well geeze, $12 isn't asking much. I literally have 244 hours with that game. That's an average of less than 5 cents per hour played.

You can't find entertainment cheaper than that.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2016, 09:03:45 pm »
Well geeze, $12 isn't asking much. I literally have 244 hours with that game. That's an average of less than 5 cents per hour played.

Well, since I have Morrowind, cheap entertainment is kinda the norm already. :P
But I see your point. It's a good game that's easily worth the full price. Due to my low income, I just keep an extremely tight leash on the gaming budget, so I always try to grab them with at least a little discount. "Patience is preferable to hunger."

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 12:38:57 am »
And now I feel very silly for waiting for a Nuclear Throne discount. Apparently, that's not even a thing.  :o

I'll just agree with this.

The game has it's issues, and frankly I'd like to throw a chair at the developers to wake them up, as they're clearly either A: asleep or B: dead (said they'd keep updating, didn't, game needs updates/changes, they don't care...) but I still think it's quite worth the money.  And if you like it you really are likely to get HUNDREDS of hours out of it.

Granted, there's games I think should be bought BEFORE NT in the same genre, which is Isaac, and.... er.... Isaac.  Far as I'm concerned, Isaac comes before everything else in the genre, period.

But there are other games that might give you the sort of experience you want too.   Try looking up one called Deathstate; it's close to NT in the style of gameplay that it gives you (fast and furious, with an endless onslaught of opponents and lots of bullets).  That one's not for everyone... but then neither is NT. 

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 12:58:59 am »
Oh yeah, we talked about Deathstate before. It's kind of weird isn't it? Since it's a single stick shooter. I can't remember what all you said about it, but anyway, it looks pretty neat.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2016, 02:12:57 am »
Copy-paste of a suggestion I made on Discord/Skype to several folks.

Sentinels of the Multiverse is super freaking cheap right now, I highly recommend it.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/337150/
$3 for the base game (totally worth it by itself, I paid $10 two weeks ago for it on my tablet) and 50% off the entire set of expansions (that's $18) which I just got on my tablet earlier this evening ($30 normally).  Base game is 4 villians, 4 environments, 10 heroes (that's already 11520+ game setup variations).  Each mini expansion (three) adds 1 hero and 1 villian, while the larger expansions (four) add something like 2 heroes, 2 environment, and 4 villians.  Total 23 villians, 15 environemnts, 21 heroes.

Multiplayer requires all players to have any given expansion being used, but given how cheap things are, I don't see this as a big hurdle.  I wasn't expecting it to go on sale and was only holding off on buying the Season 1 pass (for my tablet) until I'd grown too accustomed to the heroes, villians, and environments available in base (mentioned above, easily 11 thousand combinations).

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2016, 02:23:39 am »
I can only support this suggestion. i own it plus dlc, it is worth the money you throw at it. It is an amazing card game (keep in mind, tactical card game, not TCG. No deck building, fixed decks).
It has also co-op which is the true fun of this game. No PvP however, if you are into that.

They are also working currently on the second season (new expansions) which will feature  a two new game mods (team villains and ObliviAEon)

I also suggested the game already on the Hearthstone thread, if you want a more detailed explanation of the gameplay.

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2016, 12:31:52 pm »
A few questions about that game (Sentinels of the Multiverse):

How many players do it support at one time? And in what format? So is it like 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, etc.

If you can't customize your "deck", what do you customize? Do you choose which combination of heroes/villians to take into battle?

What is the benefit of all the DLC characters/content? A lot of people are complaining about that aspect of the game. Would it still be fun even without the DLC?

Thanks.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2016, 01:00:52 pm »
I never played with full players but I would say the maximum is 5. You can only play with a maximum number of 5 decks (but need at least three), so every player plays exactly one deck. Don't worry however if you have less than three players, you can play multiple decks in multiplayer, so can split the decks evenly.
Liek I said again, it's NOT PvP. It's co-op.

Okay, let me explain the concept again. You and the others players play different decks, each decks represents a superhero. Each superhero has abilities, this defines how the deck is played. legacy for example is support deck, he has a lot of cards to protect the other decks/players or boost their strentgh. He has also some strong attack cards himself but he is best played as strong support. His ability "Galvanize" is a very useful support ability that gives every hero +1 damage for one round. This counts on every damage instance, so if you have mutliple hitters, you can deal big amounts of damage in one round.
The key of the game is that the different decks fulfill different roles in a match, tehy support each other and help to overcome the weaknesses some heroes may have. Some heroes however don't go well together, Absolute Zero deals big amounts of ice damage but it is important that his damage type is really ice, Ra however changes all damage to fire (and boosts the damage) but Absolute Zero looses some of his most important abilities this way.

The villain deck is played by itself. It simply reveals the top card and resolves the effect. There is no AI to beat, it's your tactical witness against the luck of the enemy.

You can play the game entirely without dlc if you want. The base game comes with 10 heroes, 4 villains and 4 environments (environments also change the game. They affet both villain and heroes). Some of the base game heroes are really cool to play and I use them regulary. Legacy, Absolute Zero and Ra for example. Actually every single hero of the base game is damn cool in it's own way. The villains of the base game are however not really interesting. Except Omnitron maybe because he switches betwen two modes, factory mode and rampagin robot. In one he plays another card, in the other he builds a drone (supporting enemy card, can be destroyed) each turn. Omnitron ahs also one of th emost annoying cards in the game that makes him invulnerable for the last damage type you used against him (after damage), so a big no-no for Ra.
The most annoying boss in the base game is however Citizen dawn. She has a card that destroys EVERYTHING on the field except her own cards. I rages so many times because of this single card. A strong control deck is advised.

Now about the expansions. Every pack adds new card decks. this means new heroes, new villains and new environments. The main reason for this is of course varity. After soem time you will realize that you run out of combination to play. Buying the expansions gives you more combinations of decks, so more possibilities. Each superhero deck is very unique in it's own way, there is no deck that is like another.
If you want to get only one or two expansion decks, get Shattered Timelines and Rook City. Both have excellent decks.
Shattered Timelines adds one of your heroes as twisted villain version from an alternate timeline. And to make it more bizarre, one of the previous villaisn will be now a superhero deck from the future who traveled back int ime to kill himself while he still is evil!
Rook City adds two cool heroes to the roster. Expatriette is the daughter of Citizen Dawn but has no special powers like her mother. Instead she relies on guns and has multiple gun cards in her deck. Guns can also be equipped mit ammo cards that give guns special effects.
Mr. Fixer is a car mechanican that was a karate master in his earlier life. When crime takes over the city he lives in he decides to become take justice in his own hands. He makes use of his two previous jobs in his deck. He combine fixing tools (as weapons) and karate techniques (as fighting stances) in combination for every proper situation. The combination fo the different tools and styles is really cool.
As villains we have Spite, which turns the whole game in a cat and mouse scenario. Spite will hunt down civilians on the street that you have to save. If you don't stop him, he will become stronger. If you act not fast enough he will mutate into a big monstrosity but will also take damage for each saved civilian.

Okay, long text but I hope this gives you an idea what the game is about.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2016, 01:02:01 pm »
How many players do it support at one time? And in what format? So is it like 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, etc.

3 to 5 in coop.  The villain is played "by the game." Which is basically "Do anything that happens at the start of the villain turn" (cards will say what they do) then play a card off the top of the deck, then do "anything that happens at the end of the villain turn."  There are virtually no choices involved.  Eg. "At the end of the villain turn, this card does (H) projectile damage to the Hero Target with the most HP."

(H) being how the game scales for more/fewer players ((H) is "number of heroes that started the game").  So this would deal 3 damage in a 3 player game, 5 in a five player game, to one of the heroes themselves (hero targets are anything allied with the player that have hitpoints; the superheroes themselves will almost certainly have more current HP than any of their allies).

If you can't customize your "deck", what do you customize? Do you choose which combination of heroes/villians to take into battle?

There's a thing called "variants" which mostly effects villains, but I think a few heroes have it too.  You use the same deck, but the character card changes slightly.  That's it.  You get your hero variations by playing different heroes (they're all modeled after comic superheroes, e.g. Legacy is "Captain America + Superman").

* Draco18s looks up America's Greatest Legacy, one of the Legacy variants.
"Unlock by defeating Ambuscade in Silver Gulch with no hero characters over 9 hp and not using Legacy on your team." (or clicking the "just unlock it" button, which bypasses--and does not award--any associated achievement)
Standard power is "everyone does +1 damage until Legacy's next turn."
Greatest Legacy's power is "One hero regains 1 hp and uses a power now."

What is the benefit of all the DLC characters/content? A lot of people are complaining about that aspect of the game. Would it still be fun even without the DLC?

It is still fun without the DLC, but at $18 I highly recommend it.  Each expansion adds more villains, more heroes, and more environments (environments vary between "helpful" and "harmful."  After all, would you rather fight in Downtown where the police might show up and take pot shots, or on Mars where explosive decompression might hinder your ability to fight?).

As I said in the original suggestion, I was having fun with just the base set on my tablet and was only holding off on buying the DLC for when I got bored with what was available (my favorite hero character being Unity who comes in Mini Pack 1).  Then it showed up in the Steam sale and I eagerly threw $18 at (I was willing to spend $30, just not right away).

By the way: not all combination of Heroes, Villain, and Environment are winnable!  Some can be devastatingly impossible: like fighting the super intelligent AI called Omnitron in the environment of Omnitron without any kind of AOE.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 01:12:35 pm by Draco18s »

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2016, 01:06:35 pm »
By the way: not all combination of Heroes, Villain, and Environment are winnable!  Some can be devastatingly impossible: like fighting the super intelligent AI called Omnitron in the environment of Omnitron without any kind of AOE.
While using Omnitron X. Omnitronception.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2016, 01:13:49 pm »
While using Omnitron X. Omnitronception.

That's actually a game I want to play some time.  For the sake of hilarity more than anything.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2016, 03:56:05 pm »

I'll just agree with this.

The game has it's issues, and frankly I'd like to throw a chair at the developers to wake them up, as they're clearly either A: asleep or B: dead (said they'd keep updating, didn't, game needs updates/changes, they don't care...) but I still think it's quite worth the money.  And if you like it you really are likely to get HUNDREDS of hours out of it.

Granted, there's games I think should be bought BEFORE NT in the same genre, which is Isaac, and.... er.... Isaac.  Far as I'm concerned, Isaac comes before everything else in the genre, period.

But there are other games that might give you the sort of experience you want too.   Try looking up one called Deathstate; it's close to NT in the style of gameplay that it gives you (fast and furious, with an endless onslaught of opponents and lots of bullets).  That one's not for everyone... but then neither is NT.
1 eh issac is game don't think I really want to play over nt even though issacs developer doesn't have sleep disorders like the nt team and I still don't understand why the team have been vancant from that game luftrausers was perfectly finished at launch(I think) and their other games that I know seem to okay as well
also just for the record luftrausers is freaking sick more than worth your time

2 death state is a game I really don't think I want to play even the though I can see the value of the auto attack(in theory should allow them to make stupid bonkers bullet patterns) it just doesn't seem very what's the word I'm looking for........engaging

ps I know its a little of topic and I'm not trying to derail here but did you ever play neon chrome? if so what did you make of it from I played of it seemed like it has some interesting ideas although the shooting it self feels a little flaccid for the most part
c.r

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2016, 12:22:33 pm »
We were talking about Natural Selection not too long ago.

Recently they came out with a video detailing all of the important changes they've made in the past 9 months to make it more accessible to new players (in which they've been releasing an update every week). It's only 60 seconds.

If anybody loves the extremely rare genre hybrid of FPS and RTS as I do, I would highly recommend this game now that it's on sale for 5 bucks. I would say the game is at least worth $30, I've played it for 140 hours and it's one of the most polished indie games you will ever come across.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/4920/
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 12:24:48 pm by Wingflier »

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2016, 06:25:53 pm »
http://store.steampowered.com/app/493420/

Oh wow. i don't know what to say anymore. The saddest part about this is, that the developers believe this is a good deal. For whom? Them?
Seriously, a 100$ dlc, ouch. Even the 50% price drop on the sale cannot reduce the amount of stupidness on this one.

For those who wonder what this exactly gives you: The two recently released heroes (Abyss Lord and EV2) with their respective alternate costume. 4 hero slots (you can save more heroes at the same time, basically the same as having multiple characters in a MMORPG).
Plus 3 costumes for each of the other four heroes in DD2. Plus another rubbish one for the Apprentice (he wears a barrel).

So mostly you get costumes, great. And no, you don't get a refund (in gems) if you own any of the costumes already.

What i excpeted when I read the title was some sort of season pass for the upcoming heroes and their respective alternate costumes. That would've at least make sense but this dlc is just garbage. And they release it way too late, most people have either the costumes or the heroes already, probably even both. So a season pass for the upcoming heroes would have made more sense.

That's really terrible and proves another time, why Trendy Entertainment ruins this game.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2016, 07:16:08 pm »
http://store.steampowered.com/app/305620 a survival game based in the frozen wastes after a geomagnetic disaster its a game I've been following for a while it looks pretty sick and even though it has been in early access its perfectly playable personally I wanting till it leaves early access before I play it my self though.
c.r

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk