Author Topic: Steam summer sale 2017  (Read 15789 times)

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: Steam summer sale 2017
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2017, 12:24:00 am »
Ugh, Gwent is probably the disappointment of the year for me.  A lot of people praise that game, cannot see where this comes from. The game is overall dull and boring.

Stardew Valley is all that makes Harvest moon fun but leaves out all that it makes unfun. You can build stuff as you want on your ranch instead of getting forced to have it at fixed locations plus you can build sprinklers to cover crops, which is a BIG plus for me.
It also adds crafting to the mix and even a little combat. It's an awesome game, a great successor of Harvest Moon. Honestly, after playing Stardew Valley, it's a little hard to get back to Harvest Moon.

@Misery: You might want to check out Dead Cells (still Early Access), this might be the exact thing you are looking for. It's rogue-like, which you recently play a lot, it's a platformer and has a small intake of Metroidvania. It also draws heavily inspiration from Dark Souls, I don't know if or how you are familiar with these games, the geenral concept is, you collect cells from enemies and spend them on new items, that can appear during your run (unlock conditions). If you defeat a boss, you get a new ability that you can use to access new areas of the game.
The game is really well done, like, really, I was amazed. The graphics are nice, the soudntrack is good and the combat system works so fluid, you can make great combos.
Last update added a new element system that allows you to use the envoironment and weapons in a clever way to dispatch enemies.
Game is currently 15% off.

Haven't played anything of the new games so far, because my internet connection suffered yesterday, downloadrate was too low to download anything except Kindergarten, which was 60 mb only. And I doubt this is your type of game.

Dead Cells I'm aware of.  Only reason I havent gotten it:  It looks like it's pretty big on the whole permanent progression thing.  Improving stats and all.... as always, I cant stand that.  It's enough to put me off of any roguelike, what the heck the page here is bugging out...

*ahem*

But yeah, that's why I havent picked it up.  It LOOKS fun, but that'd kill my interest after a very short time.  Always does.

Considering though that Caveblazers has released, and that I'm playing the nearly-finished version of 20XX (with the final stages in), I'm not too much in need of platformer roguelikes at the moment.  Also keep meaning to give Vagante another go.  That's always seemed interesting but when I last played it awhile back it was a bit too early on, ran out of content fast.

Though I wouldnt be buying anything new right now anyway, stuck with laptop and very bad connection.  Yay for Comcast.   Bloody thing is having a hard time even downloading Isaac's workshop updates.  GOOD OL' COMCAST, RELIABLE AS EVER.  Bah.

Offline WolfWhiteFire

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2017, 08:08:56 am »
I remembered there is also a game I got a few months ago called Space Rangers HD: A War Apart that was pretty good. There are 5 unique playable races with some quests and diseases only appearing if you are the right race, a lot of things to do, and a VERY dynamic galaxy. I don't think there is too much in terms of story in it, except maybe if you infiltrate the pirate faction, but I think that is mainly because you are only really one of many soldiers, and I believe I recall reading that two of the three enemies that control the rest of the main enemy in the game can actually be killed by the AI alone, though you would probably have to provide a lot of financial and research support to get the military and rangers strong enough that they won't run away when they see one of those 3 enemies.

Anyway, there is a lot of content, replayablity, a very dynamic galaxy, and it is a pretty fun game, absolutely worth it's sale price of $3.74 if any of you want to check it out.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2017, 11:09:17 am »
I remembered there is also a game I got a few months ago called Space Rangers HD: A War Apart that was pretty good.

I remember Space Rangers. I can't think of what one I played (obviously not the HD one, but there was a sequel), and it was pretty good.

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2017, 11:20:15 am »
Nier: Automata
Excellent game, with great music.
Very weird plot though, as usual for yoko taro.

Offline WolfWhiteFire

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2017, 11:32:08 am »
I remember Space Rangers. I can't think of what one I played (obviously not the HD one, but there was a sequel), and it was pretty good.
The HD one was a remake of the sequel with extra content.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2017, 03:23:38 pm »
Would also be interested to hear what you think of Has-Been Heroes.  Looks interesting to me but I've heard alot of conflicting stuff.
Finally got to play "Has-Been-Heroes". The game is a rogue-like/rogue-lite/rogue-whatever. You start with 3 heroes, that have different attacks and abilties, each hero starts with a starter weapon (that defines his attack pattern/strentgh and his passive abilities) and a spell to use.
Combat is kind of strange. You have three lanes, occupied by your heroes, enemy come from the right side and sloooowly travel to the left, towards your heroes. if they reach them, the heroes get attacked and push the enemies back again. Enemies have two types of HP, Stamina and health. Stamina acts as block mechanic, if the enemy has still Stamina, he takes no damage. each attack removes one Stamina point. The different heroes have different attack patterns, the rogue deals three quick attacks while the warrior attacks with one might attack, that deals huge damage.
If you deplet the stamina of an enemy, the next hit directly goes to the hp and pushes the opponent back into the lane but also replenishes his stamina back to full. You can however decrease his max stamina in different ways, mostly if you make perfect attack combos,.
You don't have to kill all enemies during a fight, at the top of the screen you see your progress on the route to the next stop, if you reach the next stop before you killd all enemies, the remaining ones will simply flee.

As typical in rogue-likes, the map is randomly generated, enemies and encounters are randomly drawn from a pool. The map has different locations, that you can move to via the routes, that go along the whole map (think of Darkest Dungeons room system). You can see, what encounters wayit you at adjacent locations, so you don't run into the unknown like in DD. Chests, merchants and other stuff exist, that give you new items. These items can be hold by your heroes to give them new passive boosts and effects (similiar to Isaac. Actually, it's very close to Isaac in that regard). Additionally you can find spell scrolls, that your heroes can equip to learn new spells to use. I think you can have up to 5 or 6 of those. A far as I can see, every hero can use any spell, so there are no mage exclusive fireballs or anything like that but some characters are simply better in casting than others, the monk, that you start with, gets a 30% damage boost on spells for an example.

During your travel, you collect the souls of slain enemies with soul spheres, these spheres hold up to 20 souls, if they are full, you can immediatly cast a new spell without waiting for the cooldown (there is no mana, just very long cooldowns), you have two different soul spheres and I don't know what the difference between is them if any. After you die, all the collected souls, those used up for free spells, are added to your general collection, if you have enough souls, you automatically unlock new items that you can find during your game (and I think new heroes as well). YAs far as it appears you don't get any other benefit out of this just having these new items in the randomization pool during your runs, so there is no meta progression here. I could be wrong so, I'm still not very far.
Problems so far are, that it's soemtimes hard to keep track of what kills you. You suddenly die and don't actually know WHY you died. Okay, a monster hit you and you saw the monster but the HP bars on your heroes are very tiny and hard to notice.
It's a fun game but it's a simple casual rogue-like with not much complexity and the novelity of the game is simply the attack combo system, that you have to attack enemies in matching strikes, so they loose max stamina. Sicne you can only switch heroes in lanes AFTER attacking,t his isn't very easy (or well designed to be honest).
I think however I could get enough fun out of the game to make it worth my time.

Offline tombik

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2017, 12:54:19 pm »
My list (2 already refunded due to performance issues)

Seraph
grim dawn
Danmaku Unlimited 2
treasures of montezuma 5
mystery chronicle one way heroics
WE ARE DOOMED
kaiju-a-gogo
valdis story abyssal city
command conquer 3 tiberium wars
command conquer 3 kane's wrath
hunters of the dead
fuego
wyv and keep temple of the lost idol
cast of the seven godsends redux
highrise heroes word challenge
claws&feathers 2

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2017, 08:48:19 pm »
This is maybe late to the posting party here. But I picked up Halcyon6 and Hyperlight drifter as my main two purchases. I got a few other minor things as well.

So far I'm loving hyperlight drifter, the combat is quite fun and the exploration is fun as well. Although the number of secret walls has basically gotten me checking every single wall which is maybe a bit tedious, but overall enjoyable game. I'm not finding it as difficult as I was lead to believe it would be, I've gone through 2 of the main areas so far.

Halcyon6 I'm not finding to be quite what I expected. I find the permadeath tactical combat itch is better satisfied by XCOM or darkest dungeon games. I'm not sure if maybe I'm not far enough in to see all the combat options so going to give it a bit more of a chance.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2017, 09:41:34 pm »
Halcyon6 I'm not finding to be quite what I expected. I find the permadeath tactical combat itch is better satisfied by XCOM or darkest dungeon games. I'm not sure if maybe I'm not far enough in to see all the combat options so going to give it a bit more of a chance.

No, the combat stays boring.

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2017, 10:30:51 pm »
Oh in that case I'm at just under 2 hours. Time to request refund.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2017, 12:41:04 am »
I'm glad I didn't buy Hyper Light drifter, since it's now in the Humble Monthly but I sure was very close in buying it, instead I got Aquaria which is a really cool game but the general theme of the changes quickly.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2017, 02:19:41 am »
I think this year was the year I bought the least on sale.

- Wasteland 2
- Sunless Sea
- Divinity Original Sin (EE)
- Hotline Miami 2

Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2017, 02:50:43 am »
I ended up going through pretty much the whole thing without buying anything.

Just.... bleh.  Nothing exciting right now.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2017, 07:47:33 am »
I ended up going through pretty much the whole thing without buying anything.

Just.... bleh.  Nothing exciting right now.
I know the feel.

That said, I've recently lapsed into my Dwarf Fortress addiction again...
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline JohanKirksey

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2017, 02:17:02 am »
This is maybe late to the posting party here. But I picked up Halcyon6 and Hyperlight drifter as my main two purchases. I got a few other minor things as well.

So far I'm loving hyperlight drifter, the combat is quite fun and the exploration is fun as well. Although the number of secret walls has basically gotten me checking every single wall which is maybe a bit tedious, but overall enjoyable game. I'm not finding it as difficult as I was lead to believe it would be, I've gone through 2 of the main areas so far.

Ha! I did get my hyperlight drifter either :D
And I don't regret, cause its good. Very good.
Cheers!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk