Author Topic: Steam summer sale 2017  (Read 15795 times)

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
Steam summer sale 2017
« on: June 22, 2017, 09:58:34 pm »
My list so far:
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Ultimate Edition
DOOM
ABZU
Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition
Mysterium
Kathy Rain
Batman: The Telltale Series -
Sorcerer King: Rivals Upgrade
LIGHTNING RETURNS: FINAL FANTASY XIII
Craft The World
The Inner World
Transistor
Golf It!
The Last Federation-Betrayed Hope

What about everybody else?
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: Steam summer sale 2017
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 11:44:24 pm »
Someone dumped a complete set of cards on me for a game (as in, I went from not having the badges to having the level 5 and the foil badge with cards left over).

Haven't committed to buying anything yet (other than a couple of cards here and there, which I buy with money made from selling cards: got my first full set on Starward Rogue today too!).

I'm eying...
Rebel Galaxy
Scanner Sombre
60 Seconds!

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 12:21:06 am »
My list so far:
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Ultimate Edition
DOOM
ABZU
Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition
Mysterium
Kathy Rain
Batman: The Telltale Series -
Sorcerer King: Rivals Upgrade
LIGHTNING RETURNS: FINAL FANTASY XIII
Craft The World
The Inner World
Transistor
Golf It!
The Last Federation-Betrayed Hope

What about everybody else?
Craft the World is an amazing game but the research system is kind of akward and not well done. Basically you have to craft stuff from one tier to get the next tier in big amounts. How much exactly you have to craft is never fully explained and in some research tiers it isn't even abeneficial to have a huge stockpile of that item. However, the game was close enough to wiggles for me to have fun and the TD/fort defense element was welcome too.

Transistor is in my opinion superior to Bastion in every single way. The battle system of that game is so well designed and the story itself is mysterious and interesting.

I don't have Golf it but I take it's another Minigolf game on Steam. Recently these seem to appear more often. I have "Golf with your friends" which looks very similiar if I look ont he screenshots on both games. wouldn't surprise me if they oth used the same assets of the Unity store but have layed them out differently. That said,t here is no ice themed course on GwyF, so there is that.
Someone dumped a complete set of cards on me for a game (as in, I went from not having the badges to having the level 5 and the foil badge with cards left over).

Haven't committed to buying anything yet (other than a couple of cards here and there, which I buy with money made from selling cards: got my first full set on Starward Rogue today too!).

I'm eying...
Rebel Galaxy
Scanner Sombre
60 Seconds!
If you mean with "someone" Steam itself, happened to me suddenly as well. I got a big card dump from Savant: Ascent. However, that game has 15 different cards, so I'm still far away fromt he badge, lol.

I bought 47€ worth on games (and don't intend to buy more). Since flash sales aren't a thing anymore, I have no regret in buying stuff, I want, at the first day instead of waiting a little more. Got a 5€ price drop from paypal on this dump but this isn't that much.

Anyway, all in all I bought 11 games/dlc plus the Battle Pass level sale on Dota 2.

Has-Been Heroes 
Kindergarten 
Sonny 
Pox Nora - Wrath Starter Bundle 
Pox Nora - Protectorate Starter Bundle 
Azure Striker Gunvolt 
Tabletop Simulator - The Captain Is Dead   
The Last Door: Season 2 - Collector's Edition 
HERO DEFENSE 
Rack N Ruin 
Enemy

Some of these games have been on my radar for a long time but I shoved them always aside for later, now I can finally play them. Especially Azure Striker Gunvolt and Last Door Season 2 were on the top of my wishlist.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 12:25:08 am »
If you mean with "someone" Steam itself, happened to me suddenly as well. I got a big card dump from Savant: Ascent. However, that game has 15 different cards, so I'm still far away fromt he badge, lol.

No no, I know who it was. They've given me like 3000 gems too.

Tabletop Simulator - The Captain Is Dead   
HERO DEFENSE 

I've got Hero Defense on my watch list, not sure the price is right yet, but I'm watching.
TTS-TCID looks interesting, although I'll counter-recommend Scythe. Scythe is a brilliant game (I've played the real deal).

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 01:13:15 am »
Okay, because I was surprised, that Is uddenly got a big amount of cards out of nowhere.

"The captain is dead" plays a lot like a boardgame version of "FTL".

Thanks, I will look into Scythe.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 04:11:00 am »
Craft the World is an amazing game but the research system is kind of akward and not well done. Basically you have to craft stuff from one tier to get the next tier in big amounts. How much exactly you have to craft is never fully explained and in some research tiers it isn't even abeneficial to have a huge stockpile of that item. However, the game was close enough to wiggles for me to have fun and the TD/fort defense element was welcome too.

Pretty much what I thought of it as well.  I ended up not sticking with it very long though due to that bizarre research bit.

On a side note, I'd be interested to hear what you think of Enemy, once you have a chance to try it.  I always really want to like that one... but the whole "everyone is immediately terrified of everything" bit killed it for me.  The strategy just seemed to totally fall out the window in the face of that.

Would also be interested to hear what you think of Has-Been Heroes.  Looks interesting to me but I've heard alot of conflicting stuff.

Anyway, as for me.... I didn't even notice there was a sale.  Maybe it's just me, but I've found the store to be nearly useless recently.  I've been spotting games mostly via the activity feed, actually (or Youtube, sometimes)(.  And when I DO look at the store, spotting the same games, even when they JUST released, is usually a long and nonsensical process.  It's like they're purposefully buried now because they're not "big" enough.  Frustrating to see, really.  I've found so much great stuff that most will never hear about.

To be fair though, as I tend to not care too much about the price when buying, provided I notice, the sale only matters to me so much.

Still, this would be a good place for game recommendations if anyone finds anything particularly awesome.

Offline WolfWhiteFire

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 10:44:38 am »
I'm eying...
Rebel Galaxy
A bit of a tip, last time I checked, which was a day or two ago, on GOG there is a deal where if you purchase anything, no matter how cheap except if it was free, you get Rebel Galaxy too, I got it, though I already beat it on steam.

You might want to look at that possibility, also there is a game called Gwent: The Witcher Card Game available for free, and whether or not you are interested in that you get Witcher: The Enhanced Edition with it, though it doesn't say so on the store page, something will appear in GOG galaxy that you can click on for it.

Anyway, for me my list is pretty short so far that I have bought, Hollow Knight and Stardew Valley. Hollow Knight I got because it seemed good, and recently after playing Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition, I realized that I don't remember playing a platformer game that I disliked, and that in my experience they often come with at least a decent story (probably because jumping for no purpose might not be as fun). It has pretty good atmosphere so far. Stardew Valley I just got because I have heard a lot of good things about it and it seemed like it might be fun.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 11:13:41 am »
Ugh, Gwent is probably the disappointment of the year for me.  A lot of people praise that game, cannot see where this comes from. The game is overall dull and boring.

Stardew Valley is all that makes Harvest moon fun but leaves out all that it makes unfun. You can build stuff as you want on your ranch instead of getting forced to have it at fixed locations plus you can build sprinklers to cover crops, which is a BIG plus for me.
It also adds crafting to the mix and even a little combat. It's an awesome game, a great successor of Harvest Moon. Honestly, after playing Stardew Valley, it's a little hard to get back to Harvest Moon.

@Misery: You might want to check out Dead Cells (still Early Access), this might be the exact thing you are looking for. It's rogue-like, which you recently play a lot, it's a platformer and has a small intake of Metroidvania. It also draws heavily inspiration from Dark Souls, I don't know if or how you are familiar with these games, the geenral concept is, you collect cells from enemies and spend them on new items, that can appear during your run (unlock conditions). If you defeat a boss, you get a new ability that you can use to access new areas of the game.
The game is really well done, like, really, I was amazed. The graphics are nice, the soudntrack is good and the combat system works so fluid, you can make great combos.
Last update added a new element system that allows you to use the envoironment and weapons in a clever way to dispatch enemies.
Game is currently 15% off.

Haven't played anything of the new games so far, because my internet connection suffered yesterday, downloadrate was too low to download anything except Kindergarten, which was 60 mb only. And I doubt this is your type of game.

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 11:43:25 am »
@Misery: You might want to check out Dead Cells (still Early Access), this might be the exact thing you are looking for. It's rogue-like, which you recently play a lot, it's a platformer and has a small intake of Metroidvania. It also draws heavily inspiration from Dark Souls, I don't know if or how you are familiar with these games, the geenral concept is, you collect cells from enemies and spend them on new items, that can appear during your run (unlock conditions). If you defeat a boss, you get a new ability that you can use to access new areas of the game.
The game is really well done, like, really, I was amazed. The graphics are nice, the soudntrack is good and the combat system works so fluid, you can make great combos.
Last update added a new element system that allows you to use the envoironment and weapons in a clever way to dispatch enemies.
Game is currently 15% off.
I've also heard very good things about it so far, even though it is in the early part of Early Access.  Enough that I was willing to get it now, which is something I almost never do.

Bundle Stars has Dead Cells for $12.40 + another 5% of the entire order = $11.78, or about 30% off.
WinGameStore has it for $11.69, or 31% off.
Both are legitimate sites; I've bought a fair amount of stuff from both over the years.

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 11:58:28 am »
Double posting to keep stuff separate.

I've actually found decent deals on a bunch of stuff I wanted this year, although much of it came from other-than-Steam.
Age of Decadence
Alpha Protocol
Crusader Kings 2 - Reaper's Due DLC
Dead Cells
Dungeon Rats
Energia
Fairy Fencer F - Advent Dark Force + DLC
Furi
Furi - One More Fight DLC
Harmonia
HyperDevotion Noire + DLC
King of Dragon Pass
MegaDimension Neptunia VII + DLC
NEO Scavenger
Starpoint Gemini 2 DLC
Stay Stay DPRK
VA-11 HALL-A
Xanadu Next

Still on the fence about:
Nier: Automata
Tales of Berseria
Starpoint Gemini Warlords
Dark Souls 3 + DLC
The Long Journey Home

I'm probably more tempted than I should be, considering I don't have time to play much of this for months or more... but I didn't get Witcher 3 until January, and that was a game that was easily worth full price AND dropping everything else to play.  If one of these is as good, that waiting till the 'right time' would be such a sad waste.
Or maybe not.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 12:07:27 pm »
I'm eying...
Rebel Galaxy
A bit of a tip, last time I checked, which was a day or two ago, on GOG there is a deal where if you purchase anything, no matter how cheap except if it was free, you get Rebel Galaxy too, I got it, though I already beat it on steam.

I knew I'd gotten a copy from someone recently! It just want in my stream library and I was confused. That explained why.

Dead Cells is also on my watch list, but as with most things EARLY ACCESS, my threshold for purchase is a lot lower until it releases.

"The captain is dead" plays a lot like a boardgame version of "FTL".

I've heard of it before, or thought I had, and that description lines up with what I recall.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 12:10:15 pm by Draco18s »

Offline WolfWhiteFire

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 02:56:01 pm »
Ugh, Gwent is probably the disappointment of the year for me.  A lot of people praise that game, cannot see where this comes from. The game is overall dull and boring.
I didn't say the game was good, haven't tried it myself, I was just letting people know that currently on GOG you can get it for free, and if you do, you also get The Witcher: Enhanced Edition for free, which I figured more people would be interested in.
I knew I'd gotten a copy from someone recently! It just want in my stream library and I was confused. That explained why.
Well, you don't get a steam copy, you get a copy on GOG only.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 08:30:29 pm »
I got Witcher already anyway and I think most people do at this point. Witcher itself is great, no doubt, but Gwent isn't. But I guess some people get soem enjoyment out of it, otherwise people wouldn't talk so much about it.

On terms of Dead Cells, I just noticed, this was made by Mothin Twin. Literally knocked me out of my socks when I found this. I accidentally stmubled over this when one of my friends made a comemnt, that Motion twin isn't anymore (I don't even rmemeber, how we got to that discussion) and I responded it still exists but probably isn't doing well. Then I opned the site to check myself and Dead Self poppet otu as first thing. This game is so untypical for Motion twin, I'm wodnering fromw hat corner they pulled this out. Even if I had kind of a complex relationship with the company itself in the past, the game still is significantly good. I hope they pull through this time, it's their first release aside from Browsergames.

Another thing, I refunded Kidnergarten. Game looked funny and it was funny at first but then I realized how aweful the puzzles are designed. The game is divided into different "stages" that represent different timeframes in the game (entering the Kidnergarten, having your first hour in it, having lunch etc.) and in each stage you have 5 actions. Many of the different characters have their own quest line/story lien to follow and if you make a tiny mistake during it, like for example forgetting to buy an item or not taking a required action, you will not finish the quest line. The game however comes back on this only in the last stage of the game or very close to the last stage, when it's way too late to change your action. You have to redo the entire day again in order to make it right this time. Until you make the next mistake.
This got frustrating really fast after I died so many times in different and stupid ways because I forgot an item or didn't talk to a specific person. For 4$ it isn't expansive but this already felt like a waste on money here. Or maybe I'm just overreacting and easily frustrated because I didn't win. After a dozen tries. For ONE of the many endings.

Offline z99-_

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 09:17:58 pm »
Transistor is in my opinion superior to Bastion in every single way. The battle system of that game is so well designed and the story itself is mysterious and interesting.

Interesting. While I agree that the battle system is awesome, and the world was cooler than Bastion's (in my opinion), I really didn't like the story as much. The ending in particular was very disappointing to me.

I'm not sure what games I'll be getting yet. I'll certainly be checking out the other recommendations here! :D

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 10:44:27 pm »
Well, you don't get a steam copy, you get a copy on GOG only.

As true as that is, my point was, I forgot why I thought I had it. I couldn't go look at GoG because I forgot GoG was involved at all.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk