Author Topic: Spacebase DF-9  (Read 4447 times)

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
Re: Spacebase DF-9
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 05:02:30 pm »
I hope you look more into DF-9 because they have not done a great job of making it "dwarf Fortress in space." If you are trying to do emergent gameplay of a space simulation, I have confidence you can do it well. You can't compete with graphics, but I think you can compete with skill as far as Double Fine goes.

You should really check into what they are doing if you haven't yet.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 05:48:57 pm »
What we were planning was nothing nearly as wide&deep as Dwarf Fortress; it was very interesting but it was more focused on commerce simulation, etc.

What we're planning now sounds way more interesting to all of us, honestly.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 06:24:44 pm »
Yeah, it's disapointing to hear, since I'd rather play a sim game from Arcen than one from double fine. But fair enough one have to think about their bottom line.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 10:03:57 pm by zespri »

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 07:23:47 pm »
Josh and Keith and I all kind of looked around and were like "you know, their game sounds like something we'd rather play than our own."  Which was kind of a kick in the face.  The thing was, we had a central commerce simulation, and then a bunch of peripheral ideas with diplomacy and such.  So we took out the commerce simulation, kept the diplomacy, and added a whole slew of new bits that are really exciting.  I calculated out today that I have literally been on skype for 20+ hours this week.  And not an hour wasted!
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 07:29:54 pm »
And not an hour wasted!
Well, there was the part where we looked at mario hacks.  Thankfully, that wasn't part of the design discussion ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2013, 07:32:51 pm »
Okay, but that was like 20 minutes. ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!