Author Topic: Slow Paced Survival Game?  (Read 18527 times)

Offline Ozymandiaz

• Hero Member Mark II
  • King of kings
Slow Paced Survival Game?
« on: September 14, 2010, 11:07:22 am »
I am in need of some horror/zombie/survival game for the PC.

As a reference I like l4d(+2), but I want a single player game that is relatively slow paced, or pace controlled by me. 3D is not important, but gameplay is.

Anyone know of any? :)
We are the architects of our own existence

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Slow Paced Survival Game?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 11:10:19 am »
Probably not exactly what you are looking for at all, but a favorite of mine: http://www.daggert.net/Folio/Programming/Presage/LodeRunner/Loderunner1.htm

;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 12:59:23 pm »
Try looking up Rogue Survivor. It's in early alpha but surprisingly entertaining.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Spikey00

• Lord of just 5 Colony Ships
  • Master Member Mark II
  • And he sayeth to sea worm, thou shalt wriggle
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 01:34:23 pm »
Funny how you mention it; I've been craving for a slow survival, too, though preferably with other AI survivors/etc.
I'd take a sea worm any time over a hundred emotionless spinning carriers.
irc.appliedirc.com / #aiwar
AI War Facebook
AI War Steam Group

Offline RooksBailey

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 05:14:41 pm »
STALKER!!!!!

http://www.stalker-game.com/

It really is a fantastic, open-sandbox survival game.  Just be sure to get the STALKER Complete mod to really enjoy the game (http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-complete-2009/news/stalker-complete-2009-14-release)!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 05:16:40 pm by RooksBailey »

Offline Spikey00

• Lord of just 5 Colony Ships
  • Master Member Mark II
  • And he sayeth to sea worm, thou shalt wriggle
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 06:08:38 pm »
STALKER?  I thought it was one of those typical FPS shooters... it's a sandbox game is it?  I'll have to see more about it, but which one would you recommend (since there are multiple of these)?
I'd take a sea worm any time over a hundred emotionless spinning carriers.
irc.appliedirc.com / #aiwar
AI War Facebook
AI War Steam Group

Offline Ignus

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 06:59:44 pm »
STALKER?  I thought it was one of those typical FPS shooters... it's a sandbox game is it?  I'll have to see more about it, but which one would you recommend (since there are multiple of these)?

The first one with the Oblivion Lost mod (<-- My personal preference over the previously mentioned mod. Do some research, make up your own mind :) ). It opens up the game some more, adds in some stuff that never got included, and generally improves the game.

The later two games are technically stand alone expansions (the actual sequel is coming next year) and are quite a bit more constrained than the first.

EDIT: Gah, I'm just being lazy. Oblivion lost link: http://forums.filefront.com/s-t-l-k-e-r-soc-modding-mapping-editing/340033-s-t-l-k-e-r-oblivion-lost-kanyhalos.html and http://www.astahost.com/info.php/s-t-l-k-e-mod-oblivion-lost_t18124.html

The main difference between the two is Complete is about making the game prettier and a lot more polished, while Oblivion Lost is all about improving immersion, AI and survival aspects, turning it into a whole new (terrifying) beast of a survival horror game.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 07:17:52 pm by Ignus »

Offline dumpsterKEEPER

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 07:07:32 pm »
Another vote for STALKER from me.  Paired with the Complete mod linked above, it's one of the best SP FPS games I've ever played.

Offline RooksBailey

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 07:44:24 pm »
STALKER?  I thought it was one of those typical FPS shooters... it's a sandbox game is it?  I'll have to see more about it, but which one would you recommend (since there are multiple of these)?

Alas, Stalker was poorly promoted by then-publisher THQ, who decided to sell it as a horror FPS.  The game is about horror and FPS mechanics, but it is much more than that.  Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl is a sandbox game about exploring a strange land.  While there is a main story to follow, you are not obligated to do so and can go off and do your own thing.  In my opinion, Stalker is one of the few examples of a game that come close to the whole "gaming as art" argument as it feels like you're starring in a great sci-fi horror movie at times (if only Hollywood knew how to make movies as good as Stalker these days  :().  

There are two additions to Stalker:  Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat.  I haven't tried the former (I understand it is the weakest of the three), but I do own the latter and it seems like a nice follow-on.  I would start with the original, though, as SoC establishes the core story and mechanics.  

BTW:  Stalker is based on the classic Russian sci-fi novella,  Roadside Picnic.  I highly recommend it.  While the game follows a different story (and setting, for that matter), the fundamentals are all there.  ;)

Offline Ozymandiaz

• Hero Member Mark II
  • King of kings
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 07:08:50 pm »
Thanks guys!

Apparently I got STALKER on steam for 75% off some time back. But I totally forgot :)

Also an interesting suggestion X, gonna dl it for fun and check it out ;)
We are the architects of our own existence

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 11:17:54 am »
The first Stalker is easily the best, however horridly bugridden and lacking some features. Oblivion Lost mod makes up for a LOT of that and pretty much makes it a winner.

Clear Sky was a bumshot, as far as I have heard. Not tried it myself, but most people seem to think it's a significant step down from SoC. Call of Pripyat is really polished and very enjoyable as a game itself, but lacks a lot in the storyline department. It's a real yawner, but a good sandbox game.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 05:22:50 pm »
ok, now a real (slow) survival game  ;D

Unreal World
http://www.jmp.fi/~smaarane/urw.html
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline RooksBailey

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 08:35:32 pm »
It won't be out until sometime next year, but Dead State sounds like it is going to be awesome!

Dead State

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 01:57:55 pm »
It won't be out until sometime next year, but Dead State sounds like it is going to be awesome!

Dead State
That sure sounded intriguing. I'll keep my eyes on this one.

Offline whatusername

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 10:47:11 pm »
Survival Crisis Z might be what you're looking for. I haven't played it in awhile but it's really a fantastic game