Author Topic: Shadow Era  (Read 34581 times)

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
Re: Shadow Era
« Reply #135 on: August 30, 2014, 07:30:20 pm »
Is it really immovable? Doesn't the game have cards that say, make both players sacrifice a creature?  Alternatively, return to hand coupled with "both players discard 2 cards" or something. Or simply Enchantment - Pacifism as last resort ;)

Again no idea if these card effects exist here.... but the combo is neither immovable nor is it really cheese ;) Assuming the game has decent card balance.
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #136 on: August 30, 2014, 07:38:11 pm »
Well, if someone actually let him get it to that point, it might as well be immovable, card effects or no card effects. It'll kill you as soon as it gets an attack in unless you've taken little to no hero damage.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #137 on: August 30, 2014, 08:35:01 pm »
Well, if someone actually let him get it to that point, it might as well be immovable, card effects or no card effects. It'll kill you as soon as it gets an attack in unless you've taken little to no hero damage.

but that can happen in any card-game ;) Does Shadow Era has counters to those attachments though?
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #138 on: August 30, 2014, 09:05:21 pm »

but that can happen in any card-game ;) Does Shadow Era has counters to those attachments though?
It does. Well, while it's at this particular point, the opponent would've already been dead many times over, as I've ignored attacking for a few rounds just to see how high up I could actually get. None of the usual "Send ally away" cards such as Retreat! or Dagger of Unmaking would work as he has Steadfast (he cannot leave play unless killed).

But should it actually happen in a live game, any of the following cards would be valid counters:
Sever Ties: To remove any of the attachements he has. It's not a direct counter, but can mitigate the issue to some extent.
Logan Stonebreaker: Could use his ability and simply hit Kairos in the face. If he deals any damage, Kairos dies, thus bypassing Steadfast.
Death Trap: Can be used to counter him from getting on the board at all. Takes some luck though.
Tidal Wave: Gives absolutely no shits about what you build on Kairos. It kills everything, unless protected from damage (such as a stolen Holy Shield or similar).
Mind Control: Direct counter, AND it will hurt me a lot in the process.
Black Garb: Is a very cheap counter and can be used to bait out Kairos. However, if he's that high of damage, it may not be worth it, as you have to be hit for the garb to trigger and it will only reduce damage taken by 2. ;)
Crescendo: Will absolutely kill him, but it's gimmicky and requires me to be out of high cost item removal for it to work. Kairos can still kill you within those five turns as well, unless you have stalling cards.
Magma Jackal: If you get this out and it survives its exhausted play turn, it will easily deal with Kairos as he will be killed by the passive. Naturally, I would not attack this with Kairos as it would lead to his doom. But if I can't disable or kill it in any other way, it will run face first into Kairos, killing itself.
Tiger Wulf: A very nasty card that if allowed to live its exhausted turn will easily deal with Kairos.
Dragon's Tooth: Since Kairos is a 6 cost card, he will be killed by this.
Voracious Arachnid: I'm only adding this for completeness sake. You'd have to get it's attack over 6 for it to work, and that's a lot of buffing. A sensible player would have killed the arachnid far before that happens, provided Kairos was already on the board.
The Bigger They Are: The go-to fatty killer. Play a cheap minion, then play this. Boom, dead Kairos.
The Harder They Fall: Its companion. Also works.

Crippling Blow: It's technically a counter, but as I'm playing him with Super Focus, it's a moot point as he'll be immune to enemy attachements.

So yes, there are plenty of counters. Which is why I claimed that if this is allowed to happen, you deserve to be hit by Kairos in the face ^^
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 09:15:08 pm by Mánagarmr »
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #139 on: August 31, 2014, 12:25:06 am »
Just out of curiosity, being a long time player, did you have to spend a fortune on the game?

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #140 on: August 31, 2014, 10:53:26 am »
Yeah I wonder.. how do you even get new cards here in this? Is it per wins? Some campaign? Bonus packs with in-game currency or what? rank ups?

Game sounds at least interesting ^^

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #141 on: August 31, 2014, 12:31:18 pm »
I think its entirely reasonable to blame Managarmr.
Naturally, as that's your role in life :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #142 on: August 31, 2014, 01:22:14 pm »
You can either buy complete decks (about 90 cents per deck) or Booster Packs. Complete decks contain 60 cards, including a hero and a balanced starter deck. Booster packs contain 15 completely random cards and cost the same as complete decks. You are way better off buying complete decks as a new player, especially focusing in the same class (Human Warrior deck then Shadow Warrior deck) and selling and doubles you get (you can only ever have 4 of a copy of a card in a deck, so sell any excess). Or focus on one faction (Human warrior then Human rogue etc etc).

So to just play, no you don't need to spend a dime. To actually get competitive yeah. you either need to play a lot or spend SOME cash. You get one free card per day simply from logging in too. Oh, I forgot to mention you also get 100 Crystals every other level (if you play against the AI you get some XP and you play against humans you get more). So there's that too.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 04:50:32 pm by Mánagarmr »

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #143 on: August 31, 2014, 07:08:47 pm »
You get gold from beating the AI and selling cards (I don't remember if you get gold from beating players). Any card with more than four duplicates is a card you have too many of, and theres also the crystals every few levels (the levels are otherwise irrelevant afaik). You can buy cards with gold or crystals.

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #144 on: August 31, 2014, 07:35:33 pm »
You get gold from beating the AI and selling cards (I don't remember if you get gold from beating players). Any card with more than four duplicates is a card you have too many of, and theres also the crystals every few levels (the levels are otherwise irrelevant afaik). You can buy cards with gold or crystals.

You also get gold from being people in "Quick Battles"...or is that Quick Play? I don't remember the button but its in the challenge menu. You don't get rewards from custom games because that would be too easy to game.

Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #145 on: August 31, 2014, 08:02:55 pm »
You can either buy complete decks (about 90 cents per deck) or Booster Packs. Complete decks contain 60 cards, including a hero and a balanced starter deck. Booster packs contain 15 completely random cards and cost the same as complete decks. You are way better off buying complete decks as a new player, especially focusing in the same class (Human Warrior deck then Shadow Warrior deck) and selling and doubles you get (you can only ever have 4 of a copy of a card in a deck, so sell any excess). Or focus on one faction (Human warrior then Human rogue etc etc).

So to just play, no you don't need to spend a dime. To actually get competitive yeah. you either need to play a lot or spend SOME cash. You get one free card per day simply from logging in too. Oh, I forgot to mention you also get 100 Crystals every other level (if you play against the AI you get some XP and you play against humans you get more). So there's that too.
Did you personally invest a lot. All people who play the game, tell me that monetization scheme is fair (comparing to most others) and that in theory you do not need to spend money if you don't want too, but every one of them still did spent some amount on the game. So basically if you tell me that you personally did not spend any money, then I'll believe that what people tell is true, otherwise the jury is still out, may be it's true, and may be this is just an impression that the game manage to produce, if you see what I mean.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #146 on: August 31, 2014, 08:16:01 pm »

Did you personally invest a lot. All people who play the game, tell me that monetization scheme is fair (comparing to most others) and that in theory you do not need to spend money if you don't want too, but every one of them still did spent some amount on the game. So basically if you tell me that you personally did not spend any money, then I'll believe that what people tell is true, otherwise the jury is still out, may be it's true, and may be this is just an impression that the game manage to produce, if you see what I mean.

Typically most online TCGs that dont immediately die out will fall under the sort of monetization scheme that actually works and that actually means that yes, if you're patient enough you can just keep going without paying a dime.   M:TG Online being the major exception since it's goals are entirely different right from the very start.

Generally though it's no different from Hearthstone in most cases;  advancement in these sorts of games, as far as getting new cards go, can be dirt-freaking-slow (which is how Hearthstone is), but you CAN do it.  There's usually plenty of players that do it that way.  It it were TOO harsh about it to the point where it wasnt totally viable, the game would have fallen apart long ago, because people HATE that sort of thing.

*I* of course would just throw a big blob of money at it, but that's just me.   

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #147 on: August 31, 2014, 08:21:59 pm »
I did buy a deck at one point zespri, but that was entirely because I thought having a physical human mage deck around would be nifty and it was when they were just getting ready to start making those physical cards, so I ended up with a collection of foil cards as well, which also are nifty. The shadow crystal bonus that came with it was nice, but if I'd wanted those, I would've bought that specifically, and I've gotten enough cards from quick match/AI gold as it stands (though I have not tried any of the newest set's cards yet) to still have most of that crystal unspent.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 08:23:50 pm by Aklyon »

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #148 on: August 31, 2014, 08:30:48 pm »
Personally I backed their physical card Kickstarter, and as such I received about 28k crystals alone from the backing sum. In addition, since I got four booster boxes (30 booster packs per box) I also recieved 120 redeemable crystal cards. So yeah.  While I didn't spend a dime to buy anything IN GAME, I'm still stupendously rich on crystals thanks to the "kickstarter".
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 08:36:32 pm by Mánagarmr »

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #149 on: August 31, 2014, 08:33:02 pm »
What do you even do with four booster boxes of cards, unless you know a lot of people to play it with? (or you own a store) That part always confused me about the 'kickstarter'.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk