Author Topic: Particle Fleet: Emergence  (Read 15180 times)

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: Particle Fleet: Emergence
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2016, 12:14:40 pm »
Mostly the big problem with the huge cannon is just that there's RNG involved.  Sometimes it'll hit a ship and do next to nothing to it; other times it'll hit and it's an insta-kill.  It chooses it's targets randomly too, you cant manipulate it; the one and only thing you can do is keep more than one ship from being hit with a single shot, which is very easy to do... but it doesn't help you if the thing is repeatedly taking out either your HQ or other specific important ships with one blast. 

And I see that Duty has two of the horrid things.

Just.... just why?  WHY?

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2016, 12:49:20 pm »
I just beat doppelganger(yea I know I'm behind the rest of you but I don't have much time for this game at the moment)without the big nose assault ship so I have no idea what its like.
 I didn't even notice it was a tech I needed to pick up in till I basically slaughtered everything which amused me greatly.
and I'm gaining a great appreciation for the kobner (the really speedy ship with the slowing lasers on it) its incredibly awesome at kitting giant blobs of threats away from the fleet although its actual damage is a bit rubbish.
c.r

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2016, 01:52:43 pm »
Mostly the big problem with the huge cannon is just that there's RNG involved.  Sometimes it'll hit a ship and do next to nothing to it; other times it'll hit and it's an insta-kill.  It chooses it's targets randomly too, you cant manipulate it; the one and only thing you can do is keep more than one ship from being hit with a single shot, which is very easy to do... but it doesn't help you if the thing is repeatedly taking out either your HQ or other specific important ships with one blast. 

Just.... just why?  WHY?
Well, once you've gotten past the cannons the mission is mostly just clean up, really.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2016, 01:33:06 am »
Well, that's Duty beaten.  I actually found that one to be a heck of a lot easier than the previous one, because of being able to use extremely aggressive tactics against those cannons.  I think they fired MAYBE twice, and then the Omnis just ate them. 

....and then the extremely abrupt ending. 

Offline kasnavada

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2016, 01:38:02 am »
Ahah.

Yes, the ending, is a bit abrupt. Well, knowing the dev, he'll probably expand the available maps / campaign =).

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2016, 07:15:31 am »
Messed with the Simulacrum here... those can range from "easy" to "ridiculous".  It's a pretty good setup really, with all of the customization, which is good as occaisionally the randomness will do something that's very obviously stupid before you even start  (like giving you exactly two energy spots with 1 point of production each and then farting out 10 elite emitters all over the place).  The only problem is that there's things outright missing from it; you'll never see things like Mire generators there for instance.   Would be nice if these could simply be loaded into the editor for extra tweaks.   But still, it's a good mode to have.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2016, 11:34:20 am »
I just saw the patch notes and it seems that the abrupt ending you mentioned may have been a bug.
c.r

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2016, 12:02:00 pm »
If you mean this part:  "Fixed issue in final story mission where placing the HQ right on top of the spot where it is supposed to go towards the end of the mission would show closing dialogs. "    I'm pretty sure what that means is players opening the mission, and literally just choosing the victory location as the initial warp point for the HQ ship.  It teleports in and you instantly win, that sort of thing.  Certainly not supposed to happen, that...

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2016, 03:03:38 pm »
If you mean this part:  "Fixed issue in final story mission where placing the HQ right on top of the spot where it is supposed to go towards the end of the mission would show closing dialogs. "    I'm pretty sure what that means is players opening the mission, and literally just choosing the victory location as the initial warp point for the HQ ship.  It teleports in and you instantly win, that sort of thing.  Certainly not supposed to happen, that...
is that what you did? because if so in your place id probably replay that mission out of curiosity if nothing else to see how its meant to play out.
on a side note I just got to play with the c class ship and o BOY! was it a dozy practically un killable and able to take out doppelgangers by accident.
 rams still got a place in my heart though due to its disposability since it doesn't take billions of years to make like the c class.
c.r

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2016, 09:00:25 pm »
No, I did the mission the normal way.  But I'm betting there's some players that thought you were actually supposed to drop it in the spot that creates the glitch, since it has the exact shape of the HQ ship with a green outline.  It's covered in Struc though, so without the glitch the ship would just explode, I assume.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2016, 02:04:55 am »
Just for the heck of it, here's a Simulacrum map that I spent some time tweaking: 

AAAFGkp/dn2SKwMFL1yAAdgAOIMAEwA9ADwAGwEFBg0DAQwFDQkBCAQDAQUDAwgBAAIFAQIDAQEBAgMOCgYPBwgEBAkJCwYAAAAAAAAAAA==

If anyone wants to give it a whirl, just copy that and then there's a button to paste it into the Simulacrum.  Then just launch.

I'd be interested to see if anyone finds it challenging.... I personally had a fairly hard time with it.  The early game got nasty.  I found it a hard map to finish quickly due to the fact that some of the emitters are pretty tough to get at.

I'm hoping that at some point maybe the dev will expand upon this thing... it's very lacking compared to the one that is in Creeper World.  Various game elements that don't appear in it and all. 

Also, it occurs to me suddenly that the campaign never teaches you about the Gem Factories. 

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2016, 06:54:46 pm »

Just.... just why?  WHY?
The biggest problem with them on Duty is that they can instakill your HQ. Normally the loss of your HQ isn't that of a big problem but ont hat mission it is. You loose it, you have to restart. Looks liek I have to save scum this mission, there is no other way around. Lost during 15 minutes into the mission, destroyed one of the cannons at the start, prepared to take energy mines but suddenly the second cannon oneshotted my hq and I lost.
That's nowhere fair and the thing simply shouldn't target your HQ at all.

The lack of visiual indication where it's gonna shoot is also a problem. You know when but only if you constantly check the tiny bar next to the cannon. And who has time to permanently check it any way? I'm glad these are the only two missions who have this problem but the design of the cannons wasn't very well balanced aroudn the rest of the game.

I'm also open for any useful tips for the last mission.

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2016, 07:01:20 pm »
I had maybe one hit on my HQ during duty. And it was by particles, not cannon.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2016, 07:30:07 pm »
I guess I had dumb luck then. It's like Misery said, i'ts purely RNG and you have to hope it does not hit you the worst.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2016, 07:37:26 pm »
are you referring to the cannon which fires a black ball? I thought you were referring to the cannon which fires out a line a particles but I haven't little to no trouble with them.
if your referring to the black balls then I agree completely also I just got past the mire wall just to have my hq die ,sigh, I really wish that wasn't a thing in this mission its a bit obnoxious.
c.r

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk