Author Topic: Moba balance comparison, please comment  (Read 183035 times)

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
Re: Moba balance comparison, please comment
« Reply #555 on: September 16, 2014, 12:02:37 pm »
http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/19561/article/league-of-legends-player-who-made-terrorist-threats-facing-10-years-in-prison/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_121608

LOL

And that would solve nothing for the kid to go to prison. I know you linked this months ago but that would be an unrealistic punishment to the crime committed. If anything, I'd like to see him sentenced to counseling and lots of mandatory community service. Maybe even a ban on playing MOBAs for a long time too but I'm not sure how that would be controlled. Idk, anything besides making him another prison case. Teenagers say a lot of stupid things without true meaning behind it and while he certainly made some really stupid statements, it doesn't justify prison time if he had no intention of doing what he said. Yea, country is really gunshy around those comments with latest events...
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #556 on: September 16, 2014, 08:35:10 pm »
I'm not convinced the modern prison system accomplishes anything productive anyway, especially in terms of rehabilitating "criminals" or making society a safer place. The corporate privatization of the prison system has turned "the justice system"  into a circus where we're actually trying to find reasons to throw people in jail. I think every study on the subject has shown that rehabilitation works vastly better than punishment, so I'm inclined to agree with you, especially in this case.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #557 on: September 17, 2014, 03:16:46 pm »

Don't know if anybody is interested, but this was one of the best DotA games I've ever seen in my life.

Team Virtus.Pro (Russian) vs. Team Secret (European) in an ultra heated 3rd game that is one which will live on in the history books.

Team Secret's Ursa displayed an absolutely dominating performance, thanks in large part due to the help of a legendary Wisp, going 12-0 by the 11 minute mark. At this point, he had literally set a record for the most kills in a professional game in the shortest amount of time. Not only had he set a new record, he had absolutely blown the previous record away.

A few minutes later, at 14-1, Ursa had finished the quickest Heart of Tarrasque ever. At this point, the game's score was 18-4, and for all intents and purposes, it should have been over...except that it wasn't.

Virtus.pro won a crucial battle at the Roshan pit, took the aegis, and just like that they were back in the game. I won't tell you what happens next, but the game itself was a 50 minute knockdown drag out fight. You might want to pause it to use the restroom or to give yourself a break because I promise you the action won't.

For the people who claim that battles in DotA are just twitch-scenarios in which every person blows up and are over within seconds, I challenge you to watch this. There were battles that lasted for practically 5 minutes with both sides continually healing, kiting, and saving their players over and over, fighting tooth and nail for every precious kill. I love this metagame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZEFArk5tRg

"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #558 on: September 17, 2014, 10:07:15 pm »
Gotta give it to Riot, this song, the animation, the theme of the video, it's all freaking perfect. Extremely well done, I hope the tournament is as hype as the advertising! <3

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/esports-event/warriors

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #559 on: September 17, 2014, 10:39:18 pm »
Gotta give it to Riot, this song, the animation, the theme of the video, it's all freaking perfect. Extremely well done, I hope the tournament is as hype as the advertising! <3

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/en/esports-event/warriors

[FOR ANYONE WHO ANY WATCHED THIS THREAD FROM START TO FINISH, WHO WOULD HAVE THUNK? (SPELLING)]

Given just_how_bad_game_service_is_for_players (serious, my last decent game service was 2 months ago) it is incredulous LoL claims a competive nature,

For those who don't know:

For at LEAST two months, if not more, LoL has been hit been by, (no matter what standard) bad game service. There is no good explanation for how bad it has been. They claim DDOS attacks, but I know of no entity that has been crippled by this for 2 months.

Seriously, they claim DDOS for 2 months of bad gameplay play. I have not dared PvP for 2 months because of this. In game friends tell me they have won or lost based on connection status, not on their skill. It is simply sad.

For anyone new to this genre, stay far, far away from LoL unless doing bots with friends. As it is, I'm doing bot with a friend, and even then, our "fun" is hampered by bots and (no OR, AND) bad lag from the servers.

I would not recommend this game to new players, play DOTA 2, play SMITE, DON'T play THIS
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #560 on: September 17, 2014, 10:43:23 pm »
Wow I hadn't heard about that. What do you think is causing it?

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #561 on: September 17, 2014, 10:52:13 pm »
Wow I hadn't heard about that. What do you think is causing it?

The theories are many, and have absolutely no basis. Use your imagination:

1) Valve is a James Bond-ish Villain. They are masterminds of the ultimate kind. They are destroying the opposition through ruining their game service.  By wrecking RIOT, VALVE will prove to be the ultimate MOBA genre

2) RIOT has messed with an underground MAFIA of your choice. Anything will do! Pick your favorite...!

Really, there is no reason for why RIOT servers are so bloody bad. They claimed DDOS attacks months ago...and are (as far as I know) are the only company where they have gotten WORST, not better, over time. It is so bad, there spectator streams are simply dead. Not just buggy. D-E-A-D. It is simply pathetic.

I listed only two examples above, because the situation is so extreme. Either RIOT is facing a mastermind organization, or they are the most bloody incompetent company in existence. I suspect the later. If someone had the patience to read this thread from start to finish, my statements are  even worst.

I feel bad defending this game at any time  ???

tl;dr Riot at one time finally had sanctioned streams, now they don't. How does that happen. Not by being smart, I tell you.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 10:58:55 pm by chemical_art »
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #562 on: September 17, 2014, 11:07:54 pm »
http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=4802079

Here's what they say about it on the forums.

Also here's a stream from a guy (really annoying) I've been watching for the past few minutes, he's complaining a lot about lag, but his ping keeps fluctuating from <100 to 300+, so I can see the frustration. http://www.twitch.tv/currymancer

Whatever it is, I hope they can deal with it soon. I wonder who would even be interested in orchestrating an attack like this?

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #563 on: September 17, 2014, 11:14:02 pm »
Across the board, I've seen many streams complaining of the lag. That is how I know it isn't me who is the problem. Really, it would be more likely I_am_the_problem, but others experience it as well. That is only surefire reason I know it isn't me.

DDOS issues have been in existence since the dawn of the internet.  Any major company has dealt with it. Blizzard, EVE, runescape, (MMO of your choice which has lived) have all dealt with it. If RIOT cannot, tbey deserve to persish. I know other companies can mange.

If I did not have a stake with my girlfriend already being interested in this game, I would have switched to DOTA 2 or SMITE long ago.

As it is, if this continues for another month, I will have to anyway. I can't really play bot games in the current state.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 11:17:52 pm by chemical_art »
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #564 on: September 18, 2014, 10:00:26 am »
The most likely reason is probably growing pains from the NA server relocation. Should they be having these types of issues? No. But their server and network requirements are massive. Should it be going on this long? No. A week of trouble, maybe. 2 months? No, too much.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #565 on: September 18, 2014, 10:07:25 am »
SMITE has been continously attacked by DDoS attacks for about a month now. First they were mainly aiming at NA servers, but now they seem to have aimed against EU instead. EU is, at times, almost unplayable with disconnects, login server crashes and huge lagspikes in game. Hirez is doing what they can, and overall it's better now than it has been, but sometimes the attacks get through regardless.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #566 on: September 18, 2014, 10:16:06 am »
Strange that a company with that kind of financial base would have that kind of sustained problem.

I can believe that an organized-crime outfit would try to DDOS-extort them, as I've seen that be tried on a bunch of other companies, but I'm not aware of any such attacks lasting more than a month (or really much more than a week) before a combination of server-side mitigation and working with law enforcement brought things back under control.

I can believe that relocating servers would be a problem, but not for two months.  At some point you just throw a lot of money (i.e. newer/more hardware) at the problem.  Though it can be trickier if the bottleneck is at the edge routing/loadbalancing or further upstream.  And even trickier if the problem is staff-related, as the process of hiring and training new staff up-to-speed can indeed take months, particularly for a highly-custom setup.

So maybe it was organized-crime DDOS's AND suborning (via swimming pools of cash, or maybe good ol fashioned blackmail) systems administration staff to effectively cripple the competence of the DDOS response?

... nah, doesn't sound particularly likely.

Maybe the organized crime outfits that specialize in DDOS's are just getting better at their work (as the SMITE situation would seem to indicate), and do it from locations where the target's law enforcement options can't really reach them.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #567 on: September 18, 2014, 10:21:25 am »
Combine all that with people on the internet over reacting and complaining about problems that don't exist any more, and that could certainly last 2 months. I just checked with my brother who still plays LoL daily and he hasn't had any problems recently. He remembers the DDOS issues, but says they got resolved awhile ago.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #568 on: September 18, 2014, 10:30:08 am »
True, there's not a lot of news that can't be explained by "moderate actual increase in phenomenon" and "highly vocal reporters" :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #569 on: September 18, 2014, 11:02:26 am »
I haven't played LoL in awhile but I can only assume it's an intermittent problem, depending on what server you're using. I suspect, given that Riot's North American servers don't give you the specific option of your location (The US is a huge country), it automatically tries to find a closer one based on ping. I could be wrong about this, but if that were the case it would certainly explain why some people are getting hit with it when others are not.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk