Author Topic: Moba balance comparison, please comment  (Read 183275 times)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Moba balance comparison, please comment
« Reply #255 on: January 06, 2014, 04:39:30 pm »
@Wingflier:

It's all in Girard, man.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #256 on: January 06, 2014, 08:24:56 pm »
Awesome! Thanks for showing me that.

According to Buddhism, desire is essentially the root of all evil. Once one eliminates desire, they will find inner peace.

However, as the Dalai Lama said, "In order to develop unbiased infinite love, you first need the practice of detach[ment]. But "detach" does not mean to give up desire. Desire must be there. Without desire, how can we live our life? Without desire, how can we achieve Buddhahood? Strong desire to become Buddha; but desire to be harmful, that’s bad."

So perhaps the word desire is misleading in this case. However, we in the West often use the word "desire" in a negative connotation, as in the negative impulses we all have which cause us to harm and ruin our lives. Envy and jealousy would be among these. It's certainly interesting to think about!
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #257 on: January 07, 2014, 09:34:48 am »
Now I want to see a new line of Dota champions based on philosphers.

Dibs on Schrodinger? ;)

On maybe Hegel, position synthesis has gotta be great for ganking.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #258 on: January 07, 2014, 12:52:03 pm »
Thanks ;p

I posted the gallery on the DotA reddit page thinking that people would be impressed. Instead people were extremely jealous and butthurt, replying with comments like "that last picture wasn't necessary" and "somebody looks sick". Can you believe it got about twice as many downvotes as upvotes?

I know it sucks to be a single gamer but DAMN.
Welcome to Reddit. :P
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #259 on: January 07, 2014, 02:13:44 pm »
Heh. Hate to break it to you, but Schrodinger's not really a philosopher, Physics != philosophy ;) one is real the other imaginary ;)

That said a game of scientists versus philosophers would be fun!  Though Oppenheimer would be OP.

/derail

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #260 on: January 07, 2014, 02:49:25 pm »
Heh. Hate to break it to you, but Schrodinger's not really a philosopher, Physics != philosophy ;) one is real the other imaginary ;)
I was thinking more of his impact on the field, rather than his official participation in it :)

I think if Valve explored the theme it could be rather hilarious to a very small percentage of the population :)

It's funny just thinking of watching the champ picks before a match and hearing the announcer intone "Radiant's Turn To Pick... Hume" ... "Dire's Turn To Pick... Spinoza", because they do actually sound like champ names from some Mobas.

Then the in-game champ quips could be hilarious. 

Hegel: "Perhaps you two could find some middle ground." (two target champs warped to the midpoint between them)

Freud: "So, tell me about your mother." (target champ stunned for champ-specific time based on estimated trauma of background story)

Saxton Hale: "I'll tell you about your mother!"

(wait, how'd he get in here?)

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #261 on: January 07, 2014, 03:07:29 pm »

That said a game of scientists versus philosophers would be fun!  Though Oppenheimer would be OP.

/derail
Hate to break it to you but he *was* a philosopher as well as physicist and his philosophical impact was quite significant. He also did do a few philosophical writings. And physics and philosophy is much closer that you would think. In a certain sense philosophy as much real as certain aspects of physics are "imaginary".

Take elementary particles - we can't see them with a microscope or experience them in any practical sense, all we have as the theory they fit into. Philosophy is about the same - we have some beliefs about thins around as and what we experience in life fit these beliefs .  Same thing, really.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 03:15:59 pm by zespri »

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #262 on: January 07, 2014, 09:09:40 pm »
Take elementary particles - we can't see them with a microscope or experience them in any practical sense, all we have as the theory they fit into. Philosophy is about the same - we have some beliefs about thins around as and what we experience in life fit these beliefs .  Same thing, really.
Ehhhh...not really.

Science is eventually borne out of philosophy, but they are two completely different things. Science bases its theories on evidence, where philosophy is just conjecture. The only requirement for philosophy is that it stays within the bounds of logic, it is not concerned with evidence. This is why a philosophical argument can be logically sound, but still have no bearing on reality.

Granted, some scientific theories have a lot more evidence than others. However, even things like elementary particles have circumstantial and indirect evidence for them. True, we can't *see* them, but we can't see gravity either. Can you claim that theory has no evidence?

We can't see the particles but we heavily suspect they exist because of the influence they have on the particles we can observe. Dark matter is the same way. We have no idea what it is, but we know it exists because it exerts influence on the gravitation pull of observable star systems all over the Universe.

The branch of philosophy that makes evidence-based claims without any evidence is usually called religion, but most philosophy, good philosophy at least, stays within the bounds of logic.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #263 on: January 07, 2014, 10:06:48 pm »
Plato: "Having just finished a game of dota, I began to realize it was really league of legends."

>D
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #264 on: January 08, 2014, 01:26:48 am »
How....

How did this turn into a topic on philosophy and science?

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #265 on: January 08, 2014, 08:46:17 am »
How....

How did this turn into a topic on philosophy and science?
Ult: Derail

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #266 on: January 08, 2014, 01:09:28 pm »
It wouldn't be off-topic of the conversations didn't have a tendency to go well...off topic ;p

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #267 on: January 08, 2014, 02:01:58 pm »
I'm sorry for sharing this, but I just geeked out so goddamn hard right now. They added a skin for Anubis in Smite, where he's the Jaffa Guard from SG-1. I geeked out REALLY hard when his ground-based AOE was a FREAKING STARGATE! *geekgasm*

Stargazer Anubis

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #268 on: January 08, 2014, 02:23:29 pm »
Insta-kill is nice, but no one will stand still long enough for that last chevron to engage...

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #269 on: January 08, 2014, 02:40:26 pm »
Insta-kill is nice, but no one will stand still long enough for that last chevron to engage...
Not sure what you mean by insta-kill there. But if you are referring to the OTHER Anubis who tried to escape into their base that I stunned and then ulted with my FACELASERthen yeah, he pretty much insta-died, but that was mostly due to his low health. Anubis' ult does retarded amounts of damage, but he's self-rooted for the duration, and it only does damage if you actually point it directly at something, so...It's fairly balanced.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk