Author Topic: Moba balance comparison, please comment  (Read 183077 times)

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
Re: Moba balance comparison, please comment
« Reply #165 on: February 27, 2013, 03:39:33 pm »
I feel capper in Tribes is a harder role than any LoL role.  I cannot cap to save my life.  It is effectively an impossible role for me to fulfill.  No LoL role has the same level of skill and knowledge required.

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #166 on: February 27, 2013, 04:42:16 pm »
Honestly, I enjoye the sc2 multiplayer for the most part. Ultimately I had to quit because I took losses far too seriously.. which is something i actually liked initially. Turns out, when you are particularly hard on yourself, and its possible to COMPLETELY blame yourself for a loss because of obvious retrospective mistakes, it wears on you pretty quickly.
That actually says a lot about you.  That's one of the main reasons I play these kinds of games, because it helps me deal with my own insecurities.

For example, yesterday I went on about an 8-game losing streak.  Now all these games turned out similar enough.  I would do well, my team would usually do decently well (mostly because I was playing Eve mid and would gank constantly), and then lategame we would just throw it.  This happened OVER and OVER and OVER again.

In my final game of the night, I was 15-3, and we had just won a major team fight.  To celebrate this victory, our low health team (aside from MF, our ADC, who was full health) decided to go Baron because we had plenty of time.  Unfortunately we didn't have time to push because a couple were still alive and the rest would have been up too quickly, but we had plenty of time to Baron.

So we ping Baron eight thousand times, and the whole team heads over there.  What does MF do?  She pushes the lane, gets up the enemy tower, and promptly dies to the remaining members of the enemy team.  They take Baron and ultimately win the game.

So in essence, that MF just completely threw the game.  There was no rhyme or reason for this, it was just sheer stupidity and refusal to cooperate with your team.  A couple years ago I would have been so angry I would have been throwing things around my room (especially after a whole day of games like this).  As it was, I just called him and idiot, told him it was his fault we lost, and reported him.

There was a little rage, but it was contained, and it's much better than my rage say, a few months ago.  These games push my buttons, but it helps me deal with the consequences in a mature way, and ultimately makes me a better person I think.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #167 on: February 27, 2013, 04:45:16 pm »
I find "losing is fun" games to be similarly helpful.  A character flaw I've commonly observed in myself is "being a quitter", and those help with that.  Still a ways to go on that, but oh well ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #168 on: February 27, 2013, 05:01:56 pm »
For me, the only times losing hurts is not when we lose badly, but when the team just has poor chemistry and I find myself suffering the worst for it. My team starts to ridicule me, I am already frustrated and more prone to mistakes and their insults only make it worst. It causes a vicious spiral of the distracting insults causing mistakes, which fuels the cycle.

I simply ask my team when they start insulting if they ever they improve after the trash talk, and they say no, then continue the insults.

It's rare it actually happens to me since most of the time my armor is so thick I don't even respond, but sometimes like today I can't help it and that in turns only makes things worst.

Other then those times, which hurt because I know I could have at least done better if they had been quiet or actually helpful, I don't worry about losses.

EDIT:

And just to be clear on reflection, trash talk after the game is over is acceptable in all cases in my book. If the receiver doesn't want to hear it they can just leave the lobby.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 05:05:56 pm by chemical_art »
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #169 on: February 27, 2013, 05:27:17 pm »
I quit AVWW2 over an (very cheap) instant death and never returned so far... so I guess that character flaw is there and strong ;) But it's also (imo) just a bad idea to have such things in a game anyway... I also definitely ragequit games over controls related issues.

I think that applies to a lot of people though. I haven't seen a single BF3 match where people didn't know when they were on the losing side and quitting. Because the team would lose regardless. Heck even I.. a considerably good BF3 team player, have 6% of ALL my matches logged as mid-game quits. Although I don't know what is a mid-game quit, I think hitting alt-f4 10 seconds before the spawn count reaches 0 counts ;P I have no qualms about any of them. Then again, people call me a cheater every 10th match or so. A great compliment to someone only playing casually every 2 or 3 days a few matches.

I find it "losing is fun" games to be neither games nor fun. AI War for example is definitely not a losing is fun game.. I only ever lost once there, most of my games just stagnate after a long save and abstinence because I swear.. it is impossible for me to resume a game in AI War that was paused for a week or 2.. like literally, It's often faster to restart a game than resume a save...

That said, I am very critical of games.... I guess you could say I tasted them all (yes, even old atari, NES and SNES games) so I have a reason to dislike certain things. Especially (take note) badly paced text dialog on screen (during gameplay). Never more than 2 sentences at once, is the rule.....

Anyway..

Is there any reason why in Post reply all the tag controls are MISSING? That's why I can't quote. Clicking on Insert quote also does *nothing*. (Chrome 25...)
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #170 on: February 27, 2013, 06:03:27 pm »
Not working for me either and using Firefox.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #171 on: February 28, 2013, 12:15:44 pm »
So Eve is pretty strong.

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #172 on: March 01, 2013, 01:41:23 am »
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3175129

Some really good changes.

I think the new Blade of the Ruined King is flat-out overpowered, which they didn't mention in the video, but I think they're REALLY trying to nerf the tanky, health-stacking metagame right now, and that's a surefire way to do it, at the cost of an item that everybody is basically forced to get (I know I'll be getting it on a large number of champions I play such as Jax, Irelia, and Kogmaw).

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #173 on: March 01, 2013, 11:54:52 am »
I'm liking the new Taric changes.

With my current builds, the changes makes his early game just a bit weaker, but in late game I hit a lot harder (relatively)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 12:01:10 pm by chemical_art »
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #174 on: March 01, 2013, 03:22:44 pm »
I feel like the main problem with the blade changes is that it doesnt really fit into a traditional carry build.

It doesnt scale off crit, it doesnt provide crit, and it doesnt really provide tons of pure damage. It doesnt really look like a strong first item, because it lacks significant pure damage, it lacks a strong early onhit, and it doesnt really do.. much.

Dont get me wrong, as a second item its probably great. But what item do you get first?

Ie? i feel like youre wasting great deal of the crit, and spending a lot of money on it if you arent planning to go with a full crit build. Sure, you probably could IE/blade/pd? but that feels like too much ias.

bt? Maybe? Main problem i have with bt is that youre now spending tons of gold on lifesteal. Lifesteal atm is a pretty expensive stat..

I had this other thought though. What if I just got a bf sword, then built a blade? That sounds kinda stupid.. But with the recent nerfs to end tier items, it doesnt seem *that* bad. Still probably not ideal.

The final thought would be cleaver. There are synergies here, the physical damage, the armor shred (the armor shred stacking twice per auto), and the attackspeed. You even get some cdr and hp out of it. Its also however quite expensive for the stats it gives, and traditionally not the best carry item.

There are some other thoughts, like a zypher might be an interesting thought on an onhit based build, like kog or vayne?

Overall, i just feel this item is no longer a valid item to get in the early-mid game. If anything, its a better lategame pickup, but definately no longer an item you can rush on kog and get away with. On the other hand, it makes a GREAT xin or vi item(or *insert melee bruiser here*) possibly rivaling an early cleaver.
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Author of the Dyson Project and the Spire Gambit

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #175 on: March 01, 2013, 04:21:01 pm »
If you gambled on your skill to get high cs without ad items, you would rush a to get hurricane / botlk. Gambling, of course, but no ad means it is more difficult to get last hits then you would otherwise.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #176 on: March 01, 2013, 08:42:16 pm »
Hurricane isnt exactly the best ad item nowadays. Or even a particularly viable one i feel.
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Author of the Dyson Project and the Spire Gambit

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #177 on: March 01, 2013, 08:44:24 pm »
Could pick up a few Dorans Blades in the process to make it easier? I usually do.

Though I still don't understand why you'd rush Hurricane.

Edit: OH, it applies ON HIT effects. Kogmaw BotRK Hurricane here I come!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 08:47:43 pm by Wingflier »

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #178 on: March 01, 2013, 10:19:29 pm »

Edit: OH, it applies ON HIT effects. Kogmaw BotRK Hurricane here I come!

It is very brutal, yes.

Get a BC just for kicks as well.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #179 on: March 01, 2013, 10:28:20 pm »
Hurricane isnt exactly the best ad item nowadays. Or even a particularly viable one i feel.

As Wingflier said, its power is that it applies on hit effects both with its greater AS and through its passive orbs.. BotRK is the king of on hit items, so the two synchronize well.
Life is short. Have fun.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk