Author Topic: League vs Dota Megabrawl: Arcen Games Edition  (Read 50176 times)

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
  • Avatar credit goes to Spookypatrol on League forum
Re: League vs Dota Megabrawl: Arcen Games Edition
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2012, 04:16:54 pm »
I'M more mellow than the average DotA player?!

I've never heard a LoL player say DotA is more fun to watch in my life! That would be considered heresy and high treason in the LoL forums, even if it were true! 

I think we both just enjoy a different kind of game, I'm just glad we can agree about each game's strengths and weaknesses.  I'll admit that DotA has one of the highest learning curves of any game I've ever played. I just started 9 years ago when everybody was still a scrub (including me), and nobody had any idea what they're doing. I would definitely recommend LoL to players who didn't have the time or determination to learn DotA. My sister saw me playing HoN and asked me how to play. I showed her LoL and she loved it.
Well yeah, there are only about 4 or 5 super gamechanging ults in League. The crazy broken stuff leads to a good spectating experience, and IMO the toned down, refined design in League leads to a better play experience.
Avid League player and apparently back from the dead!

If we weren't going for your money, you wouldn't have gotten as much value for it!

Oh, wait... *causation loop detonates*

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2012, 05:08:49 pm »

I've never heard a LoL player say DotA is more fun to watch in my life! That would be considered heresy and high treason in the LoL forums, even if it were true! 

I think we both just enjoy a different kind of game, I'm just glad we can agree about each game's strengths and weaknesses.  I'll admit that DotA has one of the highest learning curves of any game I've ever played. I just started 9 years ago when everybody was still a scrub (including me), and nobody had any idea what they're doing. I would definitely recommend LoL to players who didn't have the time or determination to learn DotA. My sister saw me playing HoN and asked me how to play. I showed her LoL and she loved it.
Well yeah, there are only about 4 or 5 super gamechanging ults in League. The crazy broken stuff leads to a good spectating experience, and IMO the toned down, refined design in League leads to a better play experience.

Pick Grim Reaper <Karthus>

Do a crazy dance.

Attack everyone, kill someone.

Laugh at the inevitable insults.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2012, 08:47:13 pm »

That's a really good way of looking at it :D
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2012, 07:34:41 pm »
I have basically nothing to add to this discussion except one single thing, with a few huge qualifications. League is very boring to play. Its going to happen a really obvious and straightforward way. Similarly, its pretty damn boring to watch.

However, I feel like this is what makes league a much better competitive game. Its almost always going to play out really straightforwardly, making it easier to understand for newer players, and making mechanical skill more important, I feel.

On the other hand, dota seems nowhere near as obvious. Sure, sometimes the lanes will be fairly obvious, but in the end that doesnt really mean that much. Scrolls of port, the power items bring in dota, all can change a game drastically, despite what you might think is going to happen.

Because of all of this, I find competitive league really boring to watch. Competitive dota, on the other hand, I find incredibly interesting.
I really like the way dota mechanics work - The highground, the item actives all over the place, how strong supports are at level 1 with their stuns. All of this stuff makes for a game that is interesting to watch, instead of a game of afk farming for 20 minutes.

And the giant qualifications - I have put over 3 thousand hours into league, with my current normals wins at about 1500. I've put about a tenth as much time into playing dota, and only dota2 - I cared very little for the dota scene pre-dota2.

And as a final note - I have an incredible love-hate relationship with rng in dota. When compared to league, where the most rng thing is crit chance (which is usually 25-55%.. not really that random). Sylliabear with his entangle, Chaos knight with his stun, Chen with his test of faith. Even just on autoattacks - each hero has random variance in his autoattacks (Chaos knight can deal anywhere from 50 to 80 damage in an autoattack at level 1)
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Author of the Dyson Project and the Spire Gambit

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2012, 07:48:53 pm »
What I like about league is that it's the same but different, if that makes sense. There's an established structure of what will roughly happen, but enough varies to have a fun time* each time.

*assuming I'm not doing poorly, which is another topic

If we weren't going for your money, you wouldn't have gotten as much value for it!

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 11:10:07 am »
What I like about league is that it's the same but different, if that makes sense. There's an established structure of what will roughly happen, but enough varies to have a fun time* each time.

I actually find that's what makes League so boring.  I mean every new Champion that comes out is just a boring rehash of something that has already been done, because they are unwilling to add anything that might be "confusing" or "anti-fun" to players.  So every new champion seems to be an amalgamation of 4 other heroes' individual skills, but of course it has to be superior, or nobody would ever play it.  This is why characters like Katarina, who used to be, BY FAR, the best solo laner in the game because of the constant harass she could throw out, is now having to be remade because she's so underpowered in a solo lane.  This is why somebody like Garen, who used to be the subject of countless complaints over being overpowered, has recently been buffed dramatically.  I can't respect this method of balancing and champion spam.  The game is quite literally littered with useless champions who have been succeeded by superior versions of themselves in the form of new heroes.  Every 2 weeks adds another unneeded one to the game, for the small price of $10!  You couldn't convince me this isn't a pathetic business practice if you tried.

DotA's new champions are often completely different than what's already in the cast, and add something completely new and exciting to the game.  This is because DotA champions are designed for months, sometimes even years, before they are released.  DotA doesn't have a formulaic 2 week release time, DotA heroes are often released 6 months to a year apart, and only after extensive balance and testing.  As such, they are typically a much higher quality than the average LoL hero.  Oh also, you don't buy them, so there's more incentive to keep them balanced since the company isn't making money off of their existence.

IN ADDITION, even after their long gestation period and release, DotA heroes aren't put into the competitive pool for another few months after that!  Where a new LoL hero is released, after only a few weeks of testing, and often thrown into the game in an unbalanced state, then instantly released for competitive play; DotA spends many months developing, designing, and testing a hero, and even after they are released, they aren't added to the competitive pool for many months!

So which company cares more about balance, diversity, and the health of the competitive aspect of their game?  And which company cares more about making money, even at the cost of sacrificing the balance or validity of the cast with new garbage every couple weeks?

You decide.

On the other hand, dota seems nowhere near as obvious. Sure, sometimes the lanes will be fairly obvious, but in the end that doesnt really mean that much. Scrolls of port, the power items bring in dota, all can change a game drastically, despite what you might think is going to happen.
Actually, lanes aren't that obvious at all.  Where League always has the same lanes (1-1-2-Jungler), DotA can have 3-1-1, 2-1-2, 1-2-2, 1-1-1+2 junglers, 1-1-1-1-jungler-1-roamer, 1-1-1-2 roamers, etc.  The lane combinations change every game, and have a huge impact on how each game plays out. 

I don't understand how adding more strategic options to the game (either in the form of lane combinations or scroll of teleports) makes it less competitive though, I think more strategy makes it more competitive.

And as a final note - I have an incredible love-hate relationship with rng in dota. When compared to league, where the most rng thing is crit chance (which is usually 25-55%.. not really that random). Sylliabear with his entangle, Chaos knight with his stun, Chen with his test of faith. Even just on autoattacks - each hero has random variance in his autoattacks (Chaos knight can deal anywhere from 50 to 80 damage in an autoattack at level 1)
There are definitely some important RNG elements in DotA, but they hardly ever decide the outcome of the match.  Just like the same Magic the Gathering players can consistently win tournaments, so the best DotA teams consistently win as well.  I'm not saying DotA has anywhere near the amount of RNG as MTG has, but it's just a comparison to show that even games with a lot of "random factor", can still be skill-based, even more skill-based than games without much RNG.

I'm curious though, if you think mechanical skill is what makes a LoL player good, then what skills do you think a good DotA player must possess?  I would think that a DotA player would require much more mechanical skill than LoL player.  Considering the lethality of the game, the huge loss on death, the non-existence of cheap escape mechanisms like Flash, the abundance of activatable items that each player has to constantly use, etc., I would think mechanic and technical skills of a DotA player would be much higher than that of the average League player.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 11:18:05 am by Wingflier »
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2012, 05:40:01 pm »

I actually find that's what makes League so boring.  I mean every new Champion that comes out is just a boring rehash of something that has already been done, because they are unwilling to add anything that might be "confusing" or "anti-fun" to players.  So every new champion seems to be an amalgamation of 4 other heroes' individual skills, but of course it has to be superior, or nobody would ever play it.  This is why characters like Katarina, who used to be, BY FAR, the best solo laner in the game because of the constant harass she could throw out, is now having to be remade because she's so underpowered in a solo lane.  This is why somebody like Garen, who used to be the subject of countless complaints over being overpowered, has recently been buffed dramatically.  I can't respect this method of balancing and champion spam.  The game is quite literally littered with useless champions who have been succeeded by superior versions of themselves in the form of new heroes.  Every 2 weeks adds another unneeded one to the game, for the small price of $10!  You couldn't convince me this isn't a pathetic business practice if you tried.

Actually, reds have stated multiple times that their goal is to create an interesting overall play experience over "omg this skillz so unique" (oh, and Dota doesn't have any room to talk; see Luna, the sivir clone with ANOTHER point-and-click stun Q). Volibear could arguably be considered Garen+Singed+Mundo, but doing so 100% ignores that you put those 3 in a single kit and you get something that plays completely differently from any one.

They've also acknowledged top lane is kinda screwed up in design and have plans to fix that once Season 2 finals are over. Kat wasn't remade because she is underpowered in a solo lane; she was remade because she's an assassin that's overly dependent on pressing Q everytime it's off cooldown in lane to harass, and a snowbally assassin that in theory should be able to get by without her high-risk-reward ult but in reality is pretty gimped if someone interrupts it. Garen is getting a remake (not just or mainly buffs) because he is actually worse as far as the top lane problems go than most current top laners (must stomp lane and snowball or is irrelevant, because of horrid scaling and needing to itemize for too much at once).

Also, 70% of champions are picked and/or banned reasonably frequently in competitive play. Sooooo...

DotA's new champions are often completely different than what's already in the cast, and add something completely new and exciting to the game.  This is because DotA champions are designed for months, sometimes even years, before they are released.  DotA doesn't have a formulaic 2 week release time, DotA heroes are often released 6 months to a year apart, and only after extensive balance and testing.  As such, they are typically a much higher quality than the average LoL hero.  Oh also, you don't buy them, so there's more incentive to keep them balanced since the company isn't making money off of their existence.
Luna - Short-ranged Sivir with (as I said) another point-click stun ability and what may as well be a copy of Drow's AD aura (just subbing percentage for flat).
Dragonus - GUISE, I DISCOVERED SPELL SCALING (i actually kinda wanna try this once they bring him to dota 2)
Xin (great name btw) - Ult is puck orb on charge system more-or-less, Yi alpha strike, spellshield (SO UNIQUE), and press-this-button-to-snare.
Rizzrak - ...I'll give you this one
Tresdin - Eh, not bad either, though it does look like Icefrog borrowed some mechanics and swapped out the effects of the mechanics though. Also, who thought Duel was a good idea?

BTW, the last guaranteed 2 week release was months ago.

Try that sorta comparison with Diana, Rengar, or Zyra please. You might get some surface similarities to Akali (Diana), Renekton (Rengar), and Heimerdinger (Zyra) but then you actually play them and realize that kits can share some surface design and still play very differently.

what is ip

So which company cares more about balance, diversity, and the health of the competitive aspect of their game?  And which company cares more about making money, even at the cost of sacrificing the balance or validity of the cast with new garbage every couple weeks?

You decide.
This is what makes it so difficult to talk reasonably about the subject =/ You've come to the conclusion that since they regularly release heroes, and you CAN buy heroes with money (don't have to), they must be money grubbers just trying to vacuum dollars out of player's pockets instead of making a cool game.

Your question, as asked? I think Icefrog cares more about diversity. I can't speak to competitive aspect because I don't keep up on the competitive dota scene, and it's been well established that Icefrog would rather leave something broken and break everything else in it's class rather than find a way to fix the one thing. The better question to ask, as a player, is this: Do I know that the devs care about me? Someone who's not likely to be super-good or compete in a tournament? Are they willing to constrain their design to make my experience better?

The answer for Dota? No. Icefrog will put in whatever mechanics he pleases, playerbase be darned. If it works in a super-high-level competitive environment, and doesn't share (on the surface) mechanics with anything existing, it goes in.

The answer for Riot? Yes. Not only is Riot committed to making a good (in it's own way, I still think competitive league is good though dota may be better) e-sport, they also care about their playerbase at large and would rather gimp a champion or two rather than let pubstompers run rampant at low ELO. They also focus on the end-goal of champion design (actual unique play experiences) and don't practice unique design for it's own sake.

Oh, and competitive? That 70% pick/ban rate says quite a lot, and they're always working on improvement. How many heroes does dota have relegated to dedicated pubstomping?

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2012, 07:04:50 pm »
I feel its somewhat important to note that dota2 is almost a direct port of dota1, which had to do a lot of things with wc3 mechanics. If they werent focusing so much on porting stuff directly, they could do things that league does. Its kinda difficult to make stuff unique when you are worrying about using the spells wc3 does.
For instance, I havent seen a single on-next autoattack reset thing, like.. darius, garen, jax, leona, poppy, renekton, (rengar), sivir, talon, trundle, tf, vayne, volibear, wukong, xin, yorick.

Sure, dota copies a lot of 'its a point click stun', but thats just because thats a fairly easy mechanic to actually do. I feel most of them have enough variation to give them enough merit individually, similarly to how most onhits in league work differently.

On this note, there are many champions in league that have spent upwards of 6 months in development. Orianna and renekton, diana, are good examples of this - They had to completely write new mechanics for the engine to get them to work. They dont have a 2 week design time, they merely are creating so many champions at once, they can release them once per two weeks. Sure, some take less time to make than others, (if i had to guess, darius took all of an afternoon to completely make, sans art)
Ideas? Suggestions? Concerns? Bugs to be squashed? Report them on the Mantis Bugtracker!

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 07:37:20 pm »
Now that I think about it, I would say that Dota and League or sorta sideways moves in terms of diversity - You'll never see anything really cool involving pets or stuff in Dota(Orianna, Yorick though he could be better, Mordekaiser, Lulu and Pix, Zyra), and you won't see some of the more interesting adaptive designs in League (Morphling, Invoker, stat steals, etc.). I mean, Dota does have pets, but it's usually just... It's dangerous to go alone! Here, take this pet! and there are steroids in League but nothing that lets a character even pretend he can mass swap from damage to regen to movespeed or health-steroid himself when he's in danger.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 07:39:25 pm by RCIX »

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2012, 07:53:42 pm »
Actually, reds have stated multiple times that their goal is to create an interesting overall play experience over "omg this skillz so unique"
Well yeah, that's what they say publicly, but in my personal opinion, stealing skills from a bunch of heroes you already have and putting them on a new one isn't interesting or an improvement, it just makes the old heroes obsolete.   I think their FIRST goal is to make money, then everything else after that.  Let's not mince words here, Riot could EASILY sustain itself with just skin sales alone, even if they made all champions and rune pages free to the public.  They choose not to even though their 2 main competitors have because they're greedy and they know they can get away with it.

oh, and Dota doesn't have any room to talk; see Luna, the sivir clone with ANOTHER point-and-click stun Q).
I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but Luna was out YEARS before League of Legends was even announced.  It's a relatively old DotA hero.

Volibear could arguably be considered Garen+Singed+Mundo, but doing so 100% ignores that you put those 3 in a single kit and you get something that plays completely differently from any one.
And also makes them all obsolete in the process, hence the consequent buffs to the latter 3 in recent months.

They've also acknowledged top lane is kinda screwed up in design and have plans to fix that once Season 2 finals are over.
The lanes in general are screwed up in design, it's boring and it's the same combinations every time.  Tanky DPS top, AP Carry mid, AD Carry and Support bot, and jungler.  How is that interesting?  It's so boring and formulaic it makes me want to die just thinking about it.  I don't see how changing the top lane is going to fix that.  Hell, even HoN which is (in my opinion) vastly inferior to DotA has more interesting and varied lane combos than that.

Kat wasn't remade because she is underpowered in a solo lane; she was remade because she's an assassin that's overly dependent on pressing Q everytime it's off cooldown in lane to harass, and a snowbally assassin that in theory should be able to get by without her high-risk-reward ult but in reality is pretty gimped if someone interrupts it.
This doesn't change the fact that Katarina was, by far, one of the most powerful solo laners in the game until she started being replaced by better version of herself, and better laners.  Miss Fortune was the first one, being a ranged champion who was similar to Kat but pretty much superior in every way.

Garen is getting a remake (not just or mainly buffs) because he is actually worse as far as the top lane problems go than most current top laners (must stomp lane and snowball or is irrelevant, because of horrid scaling and needing to itemize for too much at once).
Once again because of the massive power inflation from constantly releasing new and better champions, who are just better versions of original content, heroes that were once some of the best in the game are now having to be remade.

More champions have had to be remade in the 2-3 years of LoL than in the 9-10 years of DotA, what does that say about the quality of the game and the balancing?

Also, 70% of champions are picked and/or banned reasonably frequently in competitive play. Sooooo...
I'm pretty sure the number is even higher than that in DotA.

Dragonus - GUISE, I DISCOVERED SPELL SCALING (i actually kinda wanna try this once they bring him to dota 2)
Dragonus is unique in that his spell damage scales with his Intelligence.  This isn't completely unique, Silencer's auto-attack damage already scaled with Intelligence.  And please, don't even talk about plagiarism or copying, 75% or more of League's spells are taken directly from DotA lol.  For DotA, this is a new mechanic, and even if League had never been created, it probably would have come along eventually since IceFrog is always looking for interesting new things to do.

Xin (great name btw) - Ult is puck orb on charge system more-or-less, Yi alpha strike, spellshield (SO UNIQUE), and press-this-button-to-snare.
You don't understand how the ultimate works lol, it's nothing like Puck's Orb.  Ember Spirit gets 3 charges for his ultimate, which he can release at his leisure to a given location.  When he releases a charge, it releases a fire remnant at a target location, which then sits there for 45 seconds before it disappears.  At any time, Xin can cast his ultimate and dash between all the stationary Fire Remnants, exploding them for aoe damage as he passes through them, and ending up at the one you targeted.

This is much cooler than any League mechanics I can think of.  It allows for interesting chase, escape, and map control, as well as excellent mobility for a carry hero.

Also, Yi's Alpha strike was already copied off Juggernaught's Ultimate, it's practically the same thing, it just doesn't do as much damage, and has a much shorter cooldown.  Spellshield is not like Sivir's spellshield either, it blocks a set amount of magic damage and increases your DPS in the meantime.  It makes him a powerful anti-caster carry.  Finally, his snare hits 2 random targets, so it's not a press-to-snare, you should position yourself to where your enemies aren't near creeps, otherwise your snares might be wasted.

This hero concept is so much more interesting, diverse, and unique than any League concept I've heard of lately.

Tresdin - Eh, not bad either, though it does look like Icefrog borrowed some mechanics and swapped out the effects of the mechanics though. Also, who thought Duel was a good idea?
Duel is a great idea, it makes him a powerful anti-carry tank/support.  It opens up new options and team compositions, and a powerful counter to many heroes.

The answer for Dota? No. Icefrog will put in whatever mechanics he pleases, playerbase be darned. If it works in a super-high-level competitive environment, and doesn't share (on the surface) mechanics with anything existing, it goes in.
You don't balance for pub games, you balance for high level play.  It makes no sense to balance for the worst players.  In Chess, there is a common strategy in which, in 3 moves, you can defeat a noob opponent with your queen.  Should we nerf the Queen in the early game of Chess so that noobs don't get owned by a cheesy strategy?  In Starcraft 2, Marine + Bunker rushing or Helion rushing is really hard and cheesy for noobs to deal with, they lose to it often.  Should we nerf these strategies and ruin their viability in competitive play, or should we ask new players to get better at the game?

It wouldn't surprise me if League balanced for the pub level, it would explain why their high-level games are such a snoozefest and a bore.  They're more concerned with keeping the bads happy than making a game that's exciting to play and watch at the highest levels.  If that's what they want to do, that's fine with me.

I feel its somewhat important to note that dota2 is almost a direct port of dota1, which had to do a lot of things with wc3 mechanics. If they werent focusing so much on porting stuff directly, they could do things that league does. Its kinda difficult to make stuff unique when you are worrying about using the spells wc3 does.
The WC3 engine could do pretty much everything the Riot Engine can do, sans possibly vector targeting (not that important tbh).  Not all of the mechanics in DotA 2 existed in DotA 1, but most of them stand outside of the game (such as the reconnect feature).  DotA's problem was never that it didn't have unique or original content, it's that it was on an old and outdated engine that needed to be upgraded.  DotA 2's content is much more unique and exciting than League's.  Like I said before, DotA has pretty much all the skills that exist in League, plus many more that they would never add (mana burn, spell steal, damage based on movement, throwing allies and enemies, having 10 skills on 1 hero, etc.).

For instance, I havent seen a single on-next autoattack reset thing, like.. darius, garen, jax, leona, poppy, renekton, (rengar), sivir, talon, trundle, tf, vayne, volibear, wukong, xin, yorick.
You're splitting hairs over an autoattack reset ability?  How is that a good mechanic for the game?  What does it add that's so spectacular?  Oh, I get to attack again?  I mean it just seems like it takes skill away but allowing the player to ignore their autoattack timings, then just hit a button whenever they want to get a last hit or a kill.  I don't see what this mechanic adds.

Now that I think about it, I would say that Dota and League or sorta sideways moves in terms of diversity - You'll never see anything really cool involving pets or stuff in Dota(Orianna, Yorick though he could be better, Mordekaiser, Lulu and Pix, Zyra)
DotA 2 has pets...Syllabear and Lycan are two of the most powerful heroes in competitive play, they are both banned basically every game.  Syllabear's pet is so powerful that it can have 6 items and it has a snare that holds people in place for 3 seconds.  Also, I think "pet heroes" in DotA are much more interesting because they can steal pets from the jungle and steal pets from each other.  Enchantress and Chen, 2 heroes that use Jungle pets are also some of the most powerful in the game, and are often picked or banned.  DotA also has another class of hero that doesn't even exist in league:  Heroes that use illusions.  Phantom Lancer, Chaos Knight, Morphling, Terroblade, Naga Siren and more are all heroes who have "pets" that are clones of themselves, which open up a whole new style of gameplay that basically doesn't exist in League of Legends.

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2012, 08:28:15 pm »
...must...resist...need to work on tooltips...

-.- I can't.
oh, and Dota doesn't have any room to talk; see Luna, the sivir clone with ANOTHER point-and-click stun Q).
I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but Luna was out YEARS before League of Legends was even announced.  It's a relatively old DotA hero.
Hmm. I was sure i saw "Released Luna" in a Dota 6.7x changelog.

Volibear could arguably be considered Garen+Singed+Mundo, but doing so 100% ignores that you put those 3 in a single kit and you get something that plays completely differently from any one.
And also makes them all obsolete in the process, hence the consequent buffs to the latter 3 in recent months.
So i take it you don't play league? Volibear is underplayed if not actually weak; Mundo clears the jungle WAY better than he does, Singed is a better tank (if fed... he's a farm-dependent tank), Garen is... well, garen.

They've also acknowledged top lane is kinda screwed up in design and have plans to fix that once Season 2 finals are over.
The lanes in general are screwed up in design, it's boring and it's the same combinations every time.  Tanky DPS top, AP Carry mid, AD Carry and Support bot, and jungler.  How is that interesting?  It's so boring and formulaic it makes me want to die just thinking about it.  I don't see how changing the top lane is going to fix that.  Hell, even HoN which is (in my opinion) vastly inferior to DotA has more interesting and varied lane combos than that.
You hate the predictability, I hate the unpredictability.

Kat wasn't remade because she is underpowered in a solo lane; she was remade because she's an assassin that's overly dependent on pressing Q everytime it's off cooldown in lane to harass, and a snowbally assassin that in theory should be able to get by without her high-risk-reward ult but in reality is pretty gimped if someone interrupts it.
This doesn't change the fact that Katarina was, by far, one of the most powerful solo laners in the game until she started being replaced by better version of herself, and better laners.  Miss Fortune was the first one, being a ranged champion who was similar to Kat but pretty much superior in every way.
...you just lost a bunch of credibilty by comparing Kat to Miss Fortune. She's in the assassin class which as a whole is suffering design issues, not that they just released stronger champions as a money grab.

Garen is getting a remake (not just or mainly buffs) because he is actually worse as far as the top lane problems go than most current top laners (must stomp lane and snowball or is irrelevant, because of horrid scaling and needing to itemize for too much at once).
Once again because of the massive power inflation from constantly releasing new and better champions, who are just better versions of original content, heroes that were once some of the best in the game are now having to be remade.
As i said, this is a top-lane specific issue. Garen was always stomp-or-be-stomped, but he did lose dominance from power creep (which does exist in top lane).

You don't balance for pub games, you balance for high level play.  It makes no sense to balance for the worst players.
Then you won't have anyone but the hardcore players playing your game. If you're explicitly going to ignore me and my feedback as a player (and with how far Icefrog takes the pubsotmp mechanics and troll friendly stuff, I get the impression he's "sticking it to the noobs"), then I'm going to ignore you and your game. (And I don't even ignore dota! it's more of making a point, I'm probably never going to try and seriously play it beyond coop/bot games)

In Chess, there is a common strategy in which, in 3 moves, you can defeat a noob opponent with your queen.  Should we nerf the Queen in the early game of Chess so that noobs don't get owned by a cheesy strategy?  In Starcraft 2, Marine + Bunker rushing or Helion rushing is really hard and cheesy for noobs to deal with, they lose to it often.  Should we nerf these strategies and ruin their viability in competitive play, or should we ask new players to get better at the game?
OK, look at it this way. I'm looking to find a new game. Do I pick A: the game which insists that in order to have my opinion be any value, I must get myself to the top of the top brackets? Or do I pick the game that B: values all players opinions and isn't willing to leave in mechanics that ruin games for most of them?

Oh, and there's a difference between asking your players to get better and telling them to stfu, rtfm, and stuff it because they dared to complain about something that's BALANCED!!!!. I'm here to have fun; I only play to win because it sucks so much to lose. And there is light years of difference between what is balanced and what is fun.

It wouldn't surprise me if League balanced for the pub level, it would explain why their high-level games are such a snoozefest and a bore.  They're more concerned with keeping the bads happy than making a game that's exciting to play and watch at the highest levels.  If that's what they want to do, that's fine with me.
Seriously considering bowing out as of here. If you can't treat people nicely, why should I bother listening to your argument? It's incredibly insulting to say people are bads for objecing to noob stomp mechanics, or wanting everyone to enjoy a game.

Consider Shaco. He's an incredibly stompy character against noobs, but worthless in anything resembling competitive play because all you need to do is play it safe and punish him for ganking (incredibly squishy). The result is he's either fed or worthless. If he was redesigned to be less pubstomp, he'd be a character in his own right that could be seen a lot without driving one team or the other up the wall. Diversity for it's own sake is pointless; I'll take a solid but "boring" champion any day over an interesting but pubstomp one. I can deal with shaco (and akali, assuming i'm not on one of the relative few characters she counters) but I still say that they're bad design.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 08:37:38 pm by RCIX »

Offline Lancefighter

• Core Member
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2012, 08:57:52 pm »
I believe my point on autoattack reset spells was more that league doesnt honestly have incredible diversity in spells either. An autoattack reset, a point click stun.. Whats the difference? Saying either game has reused abilities or even copied abilities is really kinda pointless.

(additionally, according to research, luna was one of the original 20 heros in dota)

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2012, 09:44:52 pm »
...you just lost a bunch of credibilty by comparing Kat to Miss Fortune. She's in the assassin class which as a whole is suffering design issues, not that they just released stronger champions as a money grab.
Okay, it doesn't matter what "class" they are arbitrarily assigned to. In League, the classes are a lot more blurred together anyway since pretty much anyone can carry.

Let's compare their two skillsets:

Bouncing Blade vs. Double-up:  Long-range harass that hits multiple targets, great for lane harass.

Impure Shots vs. Killer Insticts:  Both passively increase attack damage and give the target the anti-healing effect.

Shunpo vs. Strut:  Both powerful chasing/escape techniques, one works by blinking, the other works by moving quickly. 

Bullet Time vs. Death Lotus:  Long-Range AoE Ultimate that deals great damage in a team battle and can be interrupted with silence or stuns.  MF's is better because it hits 5 targets instead of 3, and is much longer ranged, meaning she doesn't have to be in the middle of combat to use it.

MF is just an all-around better hero in her current form than Kat.  She does everything Kat does better.  She does more damage, is ranged, lanes better, and even has a built-in slow where Kat has nothing like that.

Don't say you can't compare the two, you absolutely can.  One hero made the other obsolete, hence the remake.

Then you won't have anyone but the hardcore players playing your game. If you're explicitly going to ignore me and my feedback as a player (and with how far Icefrog takes the pubsotmp mechanics and troll friendly stuff, I get the impression he's "sticking it to the noobs"), then I'm going to ignore you and your game. (And I don't even ignore dota! it's more of making a point, I'm probably never going to try and seriously play it beyond coop/bot games)
Well DotA 1 has over 12 million players (if you include the Chinese), so I guess a lot of players are just willing to get better.  I bet DotA 2 will be even more popular than that.

OK, look at it this way. I'm looking to find a new game. Do I pick A: the game which insists that in order to have my opinion be any value, I must get myself to the top of the top brackets? Or do I pick the game that B: values all players opinions and isn't willing to leave in mechanics that ruin games for most of them?
I would pick the game that designs from the top down, not from the middle up.  That's something we're kind of experiencing in AI War right now.  For a lot of players, the level which they play at, these issues we're discussing (such as the Triangle) don't really affect them, so they get nervous and frustrated when you start asking to change something that they don't understand, when they're still learning the game, or have become used to it a certain way. 

Personally I'd rather ask players to adapt and get better at the game, than to never change their playstyle.  Fortunately, IceFrog is never lacking when it comes to adding new and confusing mechanics to the game, and the playerbase is still here.

Seriously considering bowing out as of here. If you can't treat people nicely, why should I bother listening to your argument? It's incredibly insulting to say people are bads for objecing to noob stomp mechanics, or wanting everyone to enjoy a game.
I didn't mean it in an insulting way (I guess I shouldn't have used the term "bads").  I meant to say that it's odd to balance a game around the bad players, expecting the best players to get worse, rather than the worst players to get better. 

I personally don't feel like you can balance for both.  You either balance your game from the top down, or the bottom up.  How can you balance for both sides at the same time?

Yes, it sucks to get pubstomped by simple heroes, but it encourages you to get better.  Some people are going to hate this and give up, but some people will continue to improve and eventually be rewarded for all their hard work (and then they can stomp new players).

I can understand if you don't like this style of balancing, I didn't mean any insult by it.  I highly doubt you're a bad league of legends or DotA player.  I meant bad in the general sense, it wasn't meant to be a personal insult.

So i take it you don't play league? Volibear is underplayed if not actually weak; Mundo clears the jungle WAY better than he does, Singed is a better tank (if fed... he's a farm-dependent tank), Garen is... well, garen.
I haven't played League of Legends in awhile.

Consider Shaco. He's an incredibly stompy character against noobs, but worthless in anything resembling competitive play because all you need to do is play it safe and punish him for ganking (incredibly squishy). The result is he's either fed or worthless. If he was redesigned to be less pubstomp, he'd be a character in his own right that could be seen a lot without driving one team or the other up the wall. Diversity for it's own sake is pointless; I'll take a solid but "boring" champion any day over an interesting but pubstomp one. I can deal with shaco (and akali, assuming i'm not on one of the relative few characters she counters) but I still say that they're bad design.
Heroes like this in DotA (invis like Spider, Nyx Assassin, Clinkz, etc.) are actually really good in pubs, because of these mechanics.  However, pub players either eventually learn to buy wards, dust, gems, pick anti-invis heroes (like Slardar or Zeus), or just quit because they hate losing.

I like to think it's a nice weed-out process.  I don't mean that insultingly, I just mean that it creates better players.

As far as I know, High School Football has no different rules than College Football, and College Football has the same rules as the NFL.  Now we could make it so that High School Football was 2-hand touch, so that young people don't get hurt.  We could also remove the goal posts since most young people can't kick the ball that far.  We could make the fields shorter because young people's bodies aren't as mature or advanced, so they can't run as fast.  In College we could make similar adjustments to tone down the game for competitive play.  But why don't we?  Because how in the world is anybody going to get better if they aren't playing the same game as the pros?

Also, the thing that makes Luna an interesting hero are not her skills (which are rather boring, I'll admit), it's the way she must be played.  Luna is barely ever picked in competitive play because she is so squishy, has a short range, and is hard to carry with.  However, in the hands of a master, she dominates.

Luna is completely positioning-based.  This doesn't seem like much, but positioning is EVERYTHING in DotA, there is no Flash to escape a bad situation, if you get stunned as Luna early on, you die.  However, to make up for her weaknesses, her base movespeed is 330, the highest in the game.  Most heroes have a 300 movespeed, so she moves literally 10% faster than most heroes, and some heroes move at 285, so she's WAY faster than them.  She farms well and pushes lanes with her bouncing glaives, she does fair in the lane with her single-target nuke if you can keep mana (whether by bottle ferrying or rune control), but where the skill really comes in is using her ultimate correctly.  See, her ultimate sends out a limited number of beams, but the beams hit everything in the area randomly.  So if you can catch a few heroes alone, you can practically kill them by yourself.  However, if you use it at the wrong time, around a number of enemy or neutral creeps or illusions or pets, it's practically useless.  So you end up with one of the most powerful physical AND magically damaging heroes in the game, but only if you can position yourself PERFECTLY against the enemy team, and use your awesome speed to an advantage at all times.

I see no LoL heroes nearly as cool as this, and Luna is a relatively simple design ;p

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 09:48:49 pm by Wingflier »

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2012, 11:08:04 pm »
Okay, it doesn't matter what "class" they are arbitrarily assigned to. In League, the classes are a lot more blurred together anyway since pretty much anyone can carry.

Let's compare their two skillsets:

Bouncing Blade vs. Double-up:  Long-range harass that hits multiple targets, great for lane harass.

Impure Shots vs. Killer Insticts:  Both passively increase attack damage and give the target the anti-healing effect.

Shunpo vs. Strut:  Both powerful chasing/escape techniques, one works by blinking, the other works by moving quickly. 

Bullet Time vs. Death Lotus:  Long-Range AoE Ultimate that deals great damage in a team battle and can be interrupted with silence or stuns.  MF's is better because it hits 5 targets instead of 3, and is much longer ranged, meaning she doesn't have to be in the middle of combat to use it.

MF is just an all-around better hero in her current form than Kat.  She does everything Kat does better.  She does more damage, is ranged, lanes better, and even has a built-in slow where Kat has nothing like that.

Don't say you can't compare the two, you absolutely can.  One hero made the other obsolete, hence the remake.
You post this on the League forum, you'll get laughed out of the game. Why?
 * MF has low instant burst; Kat has high burst, measured over both instant and short durations (moreso with new remake replacing W with an active aoe damage)
 * MF has an AS steroid and a passive on-hit, Kat has ability+autos bonus damage (going away with remake btw)
 * MF has an ability that applies on-hits, Kat does not
 * Comparing Shunpo to strut is... What is this i don't even
 * MF's dominant abilities scale better with AD than AP and Kat's are the other way around
 * Never mind melee vs ranged, which contributes to AD carry status on MF and AP assassin on Kat
 * Katarina has no resource, MF uses mana. A lot. (oh, by the way, I'm strongly betting that the time you see a champion with a resource other than mana in dota is the time pigs fly)

These all look subtle but they add up to the two champions playing differently, being built differently, and just all around being incomparable. Dota bludgeons you over the head with differences. "SEE HOW DIFFERENT I AM? LOOK AT ME!!!!!" League uses a softer hand and smaller differences in kit design and scalings to nudge one champion into a certain role; this is IMO a more refined design technique. Oh, and this all ignores the fact that Kat is still played in high-level games (Scarra, Dignitas' mid laner being the most notable example)

In fact, I'm gonna go post this on the league forums now. brb

Ok back. Continuing...

I would pick the game that designs from the top down, not from the middle up.  That's something we're kind of experiencing in AI War right now.  For a lot of players, the level which they play at, these issues we're discussing (such as the Triangle) don't really affect them, so they get nervous and frustrated when you start asking to change something that they don't understand, when they're still learning the game, or have become used to it a certain way. 

Personally I'd rather ask players to adapt and get better at the game, than to never change their playstyle.  Fortunately, IceFrog is never lacking when it comes to adding new and confusing mechanics to the game, and the playerbase is still here.
What's amusing is you imply that League never does that :P Nothing so huge and gamebreaking as Lifestealer (hi, never try and engage anything that looks like a fair fight if I'm missing), but they do ask you to adopt a variety of different playstyles.

I didn't mean it in an insulting way (I guess I shouldn't have used the term "bads").  I meant to say that it's odd to balance a game around the bad players, expecting the best players to get worse, rather than the worst players to get better. 

I personally don't feel like you can balance for both.  You either balance your game from the top down, or the bottom up.  How can you balance for both sides at the same time?

Yes, it sucks to get pubstomped by simple heroes, but it encourages you to get better.  Some people are going to hate this and give up, but some people will continue to improve and eventually be rewarded for all their hard work (and then they can stomp new players).

I can understand if you don't like this style of balancing, I didn't mean any insult by it.  I highly doubt you're a bad league of legends or DotA player.  I meant bad in the general sense, it wasn't meant to be a personal insult.
That's a bit better ^^ They don't balance League around bad players, but they do pay attention to low Elo brackets and make sure nothing's facerolling too badly there.

I'm not encouraged by pubstomp heroes, not interested in playing them (the few that I do aren't the super heavy pubstomp ones and I wish that part would be removed), and think they need changing. I'm not a fan of the fairly binary balance model brought about by them (either they stomp and get fed, or are useless, because their kit doesnt allow for an in between).

As far as I know, High School Football has no different rules than College Football, and College Football has the same rules as the NFL.  Now we could make it so that High School Football was 2-hand touch, so that young people don't get hurt.  We could also remove the goal posts since most young people can't kick the ball that far.  We could make the fields shorter because young people's bodies aren't as mature or advanced, so they can't run as fast.  In College we could make similar adjustments to tone down the game for competitive play.  But why don't we?  Because how in the world is anybody going to get better if they aren't playing the same game as the pros?
League certainly doesn't employ bracket-based balancing, and I don't think Riot would ever consider it. In any case, football is a bad example because I know little about it :P I'm just saying that purposely putting/leaving obstacles for new players to learn the game is bad design...

I see no LoL heroes nearly as cool as this, and Luna is a relatively simple design ;p
There's a ton of cool stuff in League too. Orianna's ball mechanic is really fun (one of the things I enjoy most about League actually), [insert alternate resource mechanic] is really cool, Diana's curved skillshot is awesome, the various different sorts of scaling lets players feel useful at a bunch more of the characters throughout the game, I could go on.

And theme is entirely subjective but near as I can tell Dota 2 is just another high fantasy world (not bad, mind you -- I jsut wish there was more to learn about it), but League somehow manages to pull off the craziest stuff in a somewhat believable manner. So much cool stuff in one world, what could go wrong?

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2012, 11:55:54 pm »
You post this on the League forum, you'll get laughed out of the game. Why?
I'm sure quite a few League players would agree with me that MF outshines Kat in their similar skillset and role, considering the LoL forums is where I originally heard this idea.

Obviously, I'm not talking about the new Kat remake, because the fact that she was outshined by similar champs is the REASON she had to be remade.  I'm talking about the old Kat vs. MF, in which MF was better in pretty much every way.

* MF has low instant burst; Kat has high burst, measured over both instant and short durations (moreso with new remake replacing W with an active aoe damage)
Bouncing Blade - 200 damage (.8 AD bonus, .25 AP bonus), 7 sec cd
vs.
Double Up - 165 damage (.75 AD bonus), 5 sec cd (198 damage second target, .9 AD bonus)

Impure Shots
- Max Magic Damage per attack +56, stacks 4 times, increases attack speed by 50%.
+
Make it Rain - Total Magic Damage 310 (.8 AP bonus) over 2 seconds and 52% slow.
vs.
Shunpo - 240 Magic Damage (.75 AP bonus), 6 sec cd.
+
Killer Instincts - +24 autoattack damage (woo)

Death Lotus - AoE 550, deals 800 (+240 with max Killer Instinct) damage to 3 targets over 3 seconds.
vs.
Bullet Time - Range 1400, deals 1000 damage to 5 targets over 2 seconds
Basically the same AD and AP Ratios on both.

As you can see, their burst damage is similar, and is done in similar amounts of time.  In fact, MF's ultimate actually comes out a second faster than does Katarina's at a massive range, so her burst damage is even higher.  She also has built-in slow, and attack speed boost.  In addition, she is ranged, so chasing her prey (if they survive) is much easier than for Katarina.

MF's has the burst damage of Katarina (or similar), yet she is a much better laner and carry.  This is why she's a better hero.  You can slam me all you want, or post about me to the idiots on the LoL forums, but there's the math right there.  Their damage is similar, and it happens in a similar amount of time, MF is just superior as a carry, and her ult is much better, making her the better pick.  Hence the Kat remake.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk