Author Topic: Hey, the Arcen wiki is now open for all to edit!  (Read 22018 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Hey, the Arcen wiki is now open for all to edit!
« on: February 02, 2015, 10:51:42 am »
Original: http://arcengames.com/hey-the-arcen-wiki-is-now-open-for-all-to-edit/

poweredby_mediawiki_88x31 Well hello!  I'll have more information on Stars Beyond Reach later in the week.  But for the moment, I wanted to give a quick important announcement about our wiki.  Previously it was invite-only, and mainly edited by staff.  Consequently it was often out of date.

Now it's open to anyone to edit, although you do still have to create an account (to hopefully keep spambots out).  There are certain pages -- mainly release notes -- that are protected from editing by anyone except admins.  Believe it or not, I didn't know how to set any of that up previously, hence us never really having this open before.

Thanks to Dominus Arbitrationis for setting all this up, and getting things upgraded and kicked off at all.  And teaching me a thing or two in the process, as well.  You can PM him through the forums or contact him through the Special:EmailUser page on the wiki.  He wanted me to emphasize that this is a work in progress at the moment, so some aspects of it are still being set up right now.

There's also some sort of slowdown on the wiki itself performance-wise right now, which I think is probably database-related.  I'm working with Rackspace on getting that figured out.

But if you've been wanting to update stats on AI War ships, or write a tutorial for TLF or AI War or whatever, or provide strategy advice on whatever game -- now you're more than welcome to!  A good wiki is the lifeblood of a lot of other similar games, so I'm really glad that we finally have something properly set up here.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Dominus Arbitrationis

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
Re: Hey, the Arcen wiki is now open for all to edit!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 04:07:07 pm »
Now it's open to anyone to edit, although you do still have to create an account (to hopefully keep spambots out).

I actually enabled anon editing as a trial since we have several filters that should catch most spam. And honestly, if a spambot can make an account, then they can almost certainly bypass everything else we've put in place.

As a side note, if someone wants to contact me publicly, using my talk page on the wiki is a great way to do so (To find that, you can type User Talk:Dominus Arbitrationis into the search bar).
Come help out at the Wiki!

Have ideas or bug reports for one of Arcen's games or any part of the site? Use  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games and site better!

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 04:09:47 pm »
Makes sense!

Also, the performance issues should _largely_ be a thing of the past, although there may be some lingering stuff.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 09:56:46 pm »
I am about to enable file caching, so it is very important that I know if, when, and where every slowdown or misshapen image is. If you're not sure if the caching is doing it, please err on the side of caution and tell me. Then I can work to fix whatever got broken. Same goes for any kind of database error; report them so we can solve them please.

Have ideas or bug reports for one of Arcen's games or any part of the site? Use  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games and site better!

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 04:17:18 am »
I don't seem to be able to create any page, including my own user page http://www.arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=User:Zespri
I'm getting "you do not have permission to create this page"
Is this intended?

• Arcen Games Contractor
  • Arcen Staff
  • Sr. Member Mark III
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 11:56:52 am »
I don't seem to be able to create any page, including my own user page http://www.arcengames.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=User:Zespri
I'm getting "you do not have permission to create this page"
Is this intended?

No. You should be able to create that even with a brand new account. I'm looking into it as I type this!

EDIT: Okay, so with a quick glance, I couldn't see what was stopping you from doing that, unless you weren't logged in. I've gone ahead and altered a few settings so I am sure you can do it. If the setting changes make spam easier or worse, I'll revert the changes and make sure to add any needed rights to your account. Thanks for reporting!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 12:03:32 pm by Dominus Arbitrationis »

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 01:49:24 pm »
Thank you, this seems to work now (the other thing that I mentioned on the BD subforum still needs addressing though).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk