Author Topic: Hearthstone  (Read 49739 times)

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
Re: Hearthstone
« Reply #135 on: June 07, 2016, 09:13:33 am »

not any time soon for sure but considering that hearthstone got an esports scene(I think that was an accident really to be fair to blizzard) then I wouldn't be surprised if wow ended up with one and with all the internet people that try hard over hs then it wouldn't be hard to find people that would do the same with wow.
c.r

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #136 on: June 07, 2016, 09:56:15 am »
Calling these collectible card games e-sport is like calling blackjack a sport....
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #137 on: June 07, 2016, 12:31:01 pm »
Calling these collectible card games e-sport is like calling blackjack a sport....
http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/esports/schedule/

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #138 on: June 07, 2016, 06:34:13 pm »
http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/esports/schedule/

My comment aimed at the fact that HS, though blizzard calls it e-sport, isn't an e-sport and will never be one. Just like blackjack will never be olympic. There is way too much random nonsense involved in these games, and as long as HS doesn't have a tournament blacklist for cards it isn't even a proper CARD tournament. ;p
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #139 on: June 07, 2016, 09:06:28 pm »
I thought they did a world of warcraft PVP competitive thing a few years ago.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #140 on: June 07, 2016, 11:06:19 pm »
I never played Warcraft but from what I've read, isn't there some kind of "Alliance vs Horde" PvP system in it? So when you meet players from the other faction, you can automatically engage pvp? This sound at least somewhat competitive for me.
PoxNora (a card/tabletop game, not a MMORPG) had a "drums of war" system. When you played decks from one faction and won a game, you raised a bar for your faction. Also the bars from all factions from one alliance (four factions, two alliances) were added together for an alliance bar, the alliance with the higher bar at the end of a season wins something (cards, I guess). All players who contributed to this will win a prize and the faction/race with the most contribution will also get an extra prize.
I imagine the WoW pvp system something like this but maybe without the prizes.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #141 on: June 09, 2016, 11:09:39 am »
Having a competitive element =/= viable eSports. Not even close.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #142 on: June 09, 2016, 02:59:40 pm »
Gotta agree with Managarmr. Of all the games we've mentioned so far, nothing even comes close to the grindy joke that is "competitive" World of Warcraft. You could spend 5000 hours and probably still not have all the best stuff, because attaining so much of it is just luck based. Hearing the horror stories of people who had run the same dungeon over and over hundreds of times just to find a specific piece of gear, only to have a greedy idiot whose class couldn't even equip the item "Need it", preventing the player who had spent months of raiding from finally attaining it.

Yep, that's WoW for you. At least in the Korean MMOs you can just pay for better gear.

Anyway, all this talk of Hearthstone and watching some of the tournaments lately gave me the craving to play it. So I decided to scratch that itch with Duelyst instead.

I haven't been disappointed. I haven't played it in about 6 months, and coming back, I can already see a LOT of things have changed. They've done some major balance overhauls both with individual cards and core game mechanics which they deemed unsatisfactory.

They've also added some new mechanics which, I must say, are REALLLY f*cking cool, like the new hero powers, plus a second hero for each race. Apparently within the next few weeks they're adding an expansion called "The 7 Sisters" which adds a 3rd female hero character with its own ability to each class. I'm really excited. I don't think it's going to be like HS expansions that you pay for, most likely everyone will be receiving the new heroes for free. Here they are:

Well anyway, Duelyst is an amazing game. They're still working out some balance kinks but overall I still love the no-nonsense style in which luck plays such a minor part as compared to other games like HS that are fun but absolutely ruined by luck.

Wingflier, I started playing Duelyst now too. May you give me your player name so I can add you?
It's Wingflier, go ahead.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 03:07:31 pm by Wingflier »
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #143 on: June 10, 2016, 01:29:37 pm »
Omg. Remember that card Dr. Boom everyone has been complaining about since the dawn of time? It was  quite obviously overpowered and pretty much everyone was begging Blizzard for over a year to do something... anything about it.

Well they finally did boys. They removed it from the game! Lololololol

What a solution. They also made Big Game Hunter which nobody was even complaining about from 3 mana to 5 mana without changing any of its stats. In other words they also removed that from the game.

You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried. I'm so glad I quit playing when I did.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #144 on: June 10, 2016, 02:21:32 pm »
Omg. Remember that card Dr. Boom everyone has been complaining about since the dawn of time? It was  quite obviously overpowered and pretty much everyone was begging Blizzard for over a year to do something... anything about it.

Well they finally did boys. They removed it from the game! Lololololol

What a solution. They also made Big Game Hunter which nobody was even complaining about from 3 mana to 5 mana without changing any of its stats. In other words they also removed that from the game.

You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried. I'm so glad I quit playing when I did.

Don't see the problem. Both fantastic changes.

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #145 on: June 10, 2016, 03:59:38 pm »
It's not a fantastic change to take a problematic card and just remove it from the game. Why not just balance it for heaven's sake? Just a few months ago, Dr. Boom was the single most important Legendary worth crafting. People spent their time and money to craft him, even to make him golden. Then they removed him from the game?

There were so many suggestions on how to balance him. Give him only one boom bot. Have the boom bots do 1-2 damage instead of 1-4. Have the boom bots hit truly random targets instead of enemy targets only. Make him an 8 drop. There were hundreds of community suggestions on how to make him balanced, so why remove him from the game?

And Blizzard has a history of doing this. Undertaker, Warsong Commander, and countless others. Now BGH? What ever happened to iterative balance. Increase his mana cost to 4 and see if it's still playable. But increasing it by 2 with no stat changes? You may as well have taken it out of the game.

The very nature of counter cards is that they cost less than the card they're countering. That's the whole point, otherwise why have them at all? Well Shaman can now play a 7/7 for a smaller mana cost than the "counter"!

Maybe it's just my personal opinion, but I do not respect this kind of game design.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #146 on: June 10, 2016, 04:04:25 pm »
It's not a fantastic change to take a problematic card and just remove it from the game. Why not just balance it for heaven's sake? Just a few months ago, Dr. Boom was the single most important Legendary worth crafting. People spent their time and money to craft him, even to make him golden. Then they removed him from the game?

There were so many suggestions on how to balance him. Give him only one boom bot. Have the boom bots do 1-2 damage instead of 1-4. Have the boom bots hit truly random targets instead of enemy targets only. Make him an 8 drop. There were hundreds of community suggestions on how to make him balanced, so why remove him from the game?

And Blizzard has a history of doing this. Undertaker, Warsong Commander, and countless others. Now BGH? What ever happened to iterative balance. Increase his mana cost to 4 and see if it's still playable. But increasing it by 2 with no stat changes? You may as well have taken it out of the game.

The very nature of counter cards is that they cost less than the card they're countering. That's the whole point, otherwise why have them at all? Well Shaman can now play a 7/7 for a smaller mana cost than the "counter"!

Maybe it's just my personal opinion, but I do not respect this kind of game design.
I was just about to say this exact same thing but you beat me to it
but blizzard have always been terrible at balancing that game
back in the sort of beta ish days did you know that green skin gave you card draw every time you swung his weapon which was super sick and made very much worth using and then they changed him to what he is now which is terrible and pretty not in the game at all
and yea warsong god that just makes me depressed all they had to do was limit his charge giving and that's literally it instead of making him complete shit tier.
c.r

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #147 on: June 12, 2016, 12:32:48 pm »
Apparently you get about 100 gold a day for playing Duelyst, which is the price of a pack.

Each quest is worth ~25 and the first win of the day is 25, plus you get an extra 15 for every 2 games you win. So by the time everything's said and done it's at least a pack a day, more if you play a lot.

Seems pretty fair. It does kinda suck that opening up packs is so random but obviously you can at least use the dust of duplicates to build the cards you want. I'm having a hard time deciding which Legendaries to craft next. The neutral Legendaries can obviously be used with any deck but the class Legendaries are sooo good...

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #148 on: June 12, 2016, 03:52:25 pm »
Apparently you get about 100 gold a day for playing Duelyst, which is the price of a pack.

Each quest is worth ~25 and the first win of the day is 25, plus you get an extra 15 for every 2 games you win. So by the time everything's said and done it's at least a pack a day, more if you play a lot.

Seems pretty fair. It does kinda suck that opening up packs is so random but obviously you can at least use the dust of duplicates to build the cards you want. I'm having a hard time deciding which Legendaries to craft next. The neutral Legendaries can obviously be used with any deck but the class Legendaries are sooo good...
there's also the solo challenges which have become a thing since I last played pretty much what you might expect(about 5 ranks of challenges with 5 in each having you play a different faction achieving a win in one turn in each) except you get gold for beating these as well (not much 5 to 10 but considering you'd probably want to do these regardless though if your trying to come back to and get properly invested in it like my self there still a nice add on)
c.r

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #149 on: June 13, 2016, 03:07:25 pm »
The problems with the Solforge client have been fixed. The game runs now really smooth and fast, faster than the old version (before the client change).
There are still some features missing, they removed legendary chests (100.000 silver, always contains a legendary card), you get however a free legendary chest when you log in before wednesday. You also get double rewards this week (double booster packs, double silver, double silver).
It seems they have increased the chance of obtaining rare cards, I got more legendaries from my booster packs than before.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk