Author Topic: Hearthstone  (Read 49739 times)

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
Re: Hearthstone
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2014, 12:27:40 pm »
the most gayiest game i ever seen?..
Thats not a descriptor unless you're a youtube comment.

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2014, 01:49:19 pm »
Dude where is the 'like' button?
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2014, 02:24:03 pm »
Removed in the 2.x days.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2014, 01:34:42 am »

Buried in glitches, no doubt.

Youtube does seem to be made of them.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2014, 09:56:16 am »
Perhaps it's because I got Age of Wonders 3, FTL: Advanced Edition and Dark Souls pretty much at the same time, but I found I grew tired of Hearthstone really quickly. It did not hold my interest for very long.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2014, 10:02:03 pm »
Perhaps it's because I got Age of Wonders 3, FTL: Advanced Edition and Dark Souls pretty much at the same time, but I found I grew tired of Hearthstone really quickly. It did not hold my interest for very long.

....yeah, those 3 might possibly maybe be a distraction sort of from other games :p

Though, the game isnt without it's problems either.  I like it, but I'd like it even more if it had a larger card pool.  The game does lend itself to stale decks in constructed.

And while there's an expansion coming, it's focused around..... single-player adventure.  Insert obligatory gif for an Epic Headdesk of the Gods here.  And this expansion has a whole 30 cards.  30!  Just... what... argh.  Clearly, more AI battles are what are truly need in this CCG.

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2014, 07:37:48 am »
I think the adventure mode will be a fun distraction. I do agree that the games biggest weakness at the moment is the small card pool. There just isn't that much variety you can see in the decks right now, so a lot of battles feel the same, and it's rare to be surprised anymore. 30 cards isn't too bad if what they add shakes up the meta a lot. Sometimes a new card can completely change the value of old cards, so I'm hoping that the new set will synergize well with the less used cards already in the game.

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2014, 11:31:42 am »
Only 30?

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2014, 05:40:39 am »
I think the adventure mode will be a fun distraction. I do agree that the games biggest weakness at the moment is the small card pool. There just isn't that much variety you can see in the decks right now, so a lot of battles feel the same, and it's rare to be surprised anymore. 30 cards isn't too bad if what they add shakes up the meta a lot. Sometimes a new card can completely change the value of old cards, so I'm hoping that the new set will synergize well with the less used cards already in the game.

Something tells me though that a number of those new cards will soon be declared "bad" and never used by anyone.  Which is my other problem with the game.  You're gonna have some bad cards in any TCG.... though some of them in this one are SO bad that I really dont get why they dont get altered, since they're literally wasted space/effort.... but it's so much worse when you have such a small card pool, because it means that the effective number of cards is usually quite a bit lower than it seems.  If you've got a 200 card pool, but 40 of them are terrible and never used, then what you've REALLY got is a 160 card pool. 

It really isnt that big of a deal with many TCGs, where expansions will put out quite a number of cards, but this one.... feh.

As for the single-player bit, I dont think it'll be BAD, but a "play it once and then ignore it forever" sort of thing, in a game that's absolutely and totally about multiplayer, is to me very misplaced development time.   Granted, I know Blizzard can be freaking weird about some things, but still.  This seems a bit too derpy, really.  Doesnt help that it is something that takes them AWHILE to make, and then only farts out 30 cards.   Bah.

As it is, I've no real interest in the blasted thing myself.  If it's really the only way to get those few new cards, I'll go through it, but frankly I'd rather not.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2014, 02:53:01 pm »
Captain's Parrot, anyone? :D
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2014, 08:13:12 pm »
In semi-related news, the guys making shadow era are updating their battle screen. Reminded me a bit of the hearthstone one from the look of it, but with less rounded edges and sparklies.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2014, 01:01:17 pm »
To be honest, I think these games would be well advised to put round edges and sparklies in... you ever seen MTG planeswalkers 2013 ? Looks and feels like a flash game. High damage attacks have no beef and the game is like playing a spreadsheet with clipart.

But aside that, I think Hearthstone is a pretty flawed card game all around. The problem with the game is that it cloned MTG cards nearly 1:1 but didn't understand that these cards were only not always imbalanced because you could have multiple phases where you could dispel effects or destroy creatures with evil evil perks.

Hearthstone also has CLEAR rule issues. No hex-protection , shroud and taunt canceling each other by rules, but not by applied game mechanics. (Taunt that is not attackable is not a taunt) etc. pp...

It's good for casual fun, but a good card game it isn't imo ;P
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2014, 07:02:07 pm »
I disagree.  Hearthstone's rules are extremely clear.  There's not been even one time where I'd go to use an effect, and NOT know about some sort of conflict or something.  Taunt + stealth?  Done that frequently with a rogue deck, knew what'd happen with it before I did it.   If something STARTS with taunt & stealth, that too makes sense.  You then have a minion that can taunt for you when ready, but is first available to get in an attack of it's own, since the stealth will keep it on the board for one turn.... you cant directly blast or hex/morph/whatever something that's stealthed.  Which is the "hex-protection" that you say isnt there, if I understood you correctly.  Stealth is the best defense against the transformation cards.  There are other ways to deal with them as well, but that's the simplest. 

Also.... you can dispel effects and such.... there are cards that exist exactly for this purpose. That's what "silence" is for. Hell, there's one minion (Ancient Watcher) that is a very powerful one for a very low cost, BUT, it essentially starts out locked down.... it cannot attack.  You *have* to cancel the effect on it to use it offensively.  It's a frequently used card, too, either by putting it out and theen having another minion cancel it's text, or by having another minion give it taunt (and taunt is another thing that can be cancelled, for that matter).  Things like buffs or debuffs or other status changes are cancelled by this also. 

The only problem with the card texts/whatever is that occaisionally you get something like Ysera, which has you "draw a dream card" but doesnt tell you what in the hell the dream cards are.  Any card that gives "special" cards has this issue.

Other than that.... I've got no issues with the game mechanics.   Balance issues?  Oh yes, indeed.  But only because of the low card pool.  And MT:G (and no, I DONT mean the Planeswalkers games, which I pretend dont exist.  I mean the actual card game) has very, very often had it's own balance issues, and will continue to have them as new expansions are introduced, and old ones cycle out.  They are nearly unavoidable in a TCG. 

As someone who has been playing M:TG since Ice Age (omigod that set is soooooooo old now), I surely aint seen another TCG yet that can outdo it, but...  Hearthstone?  No, it dont equal M:TG, but I've still found it to be a very good game nonetheless.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 07:11:48 pm by Misery »

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #58 on: May 13, 2014, 05:21:50 am »
Well to me balance issues are the result of iffy game mechanics and rules.... what else would they be, really? ;P You don't make rules for a card game if the card pool is too small to accommodate them. Sadly that's exactly what Blizzard did. Low card pool and very hard card restrictions for counters and you end up with an imbalanced card game.

And while MTG has it's share of balance problems, at least you can have a counter to mostly any balance issue in your deck and with the block mechanic, you can keep creatures alive longer... ;p Trading creatures isn't even possible in MTG unless you specifically allow it to happen as defender (well, or the attacker choses to cast spells ,p)

Or basically.. i like MTG more than Hearthstone... if only there'd be a game like Hearthstone with the full range of cards from MTG and with no pay to win nonsense (pure random unlocks or fully available library)
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2014, 02:05:31 am »
Everybody knows that MTG is unbalanced as hell - each season there are only 3-4 viable decks. What keeps it interesting is new sets/mechanics that come out regularly, and they are not trivial, so when players solved the current set the next is ready.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 02:09:41 am by zespri »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk