Author Topic: graphic cards  (Read 4387 times)

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
Re: graphic cards
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2016, 08:37:38 pm »
I opted to return the card for a full refund because I just didn't want to deal with that crap (sigh, why can't things ... just.. work!).
You are lucky you had this option. I was told that they can exchange the card immediately, but if I want refund they need to analyze the card in their "lab" and that it can take over a month because they have a long back log, and then if they deem the card functional, I have to pay a service fee and end up with a card I cannot use.

I mean the card was functioning. It was just slower than much inferior cards. And when they were asking for return reason and I replied with "slow" they did not look convinced at all. I had to explain that on the desktop I can visually see how a widow being re-drawn when moving/re-sizing it which you should not observe on the working graphic card with proper drivers. I don't have much faith in their competence and I doubt their motivation, so I would not be surprised if they plug the card in in their "lab" see that it's working, run a few games, see that those load and display too, and tell me that the card is all right.

Given this grim perspective I agreed for the exchange, and fortunately it solved my issues.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 08:42:41 pm by zespri »

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
Re: graphic cards
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 02:34:10 pm »
My MSI R5450 (1GB, no fan cooling) is far enough for AI War (and overkill for dwarf fortress).

*A troll is passing by*
I've got a radeon r7 240, and it runs things competently. Not greatly for things like planetside 2, BDO, or modded Xcom2, but it can run them reasonably for a person whose standard for reasonable was dragged a fair ways down by being stuck with integrated graphics for years previously.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk