Author Topic: FTL: A space based roguelike  (Read 46968 times)

Offline Oralordos

• Sr. Member Mark III
  • Suffering from Chronic Backstabbing Disorder
Re: FTL: A space based roguelike
« Reply #285 on: October 12, 2012, 12:34:08 pm »
I don't have the game myself, but I am voting towards the outcome of a game of this here. Reading through it, it kinda acts like an AAR.

Offline icepick37

« Reply #286 on: October 12, 2012, 02:27:29 pm »
Kind of, yeah. I still haven't started blogging a full run-through of this yet, haha.  I think it'd be almost as much fun as a df lp.

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #287 on: October 13, 2012, 03:24:20 pm »
I watched TB's playthorugh live the other day while doing house chores. http://www.twitch.tv/totalbiscuit/b/335371091 Quite liked it.

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #288 on: October 13, 2012, 04:47:36 pm »
I caught it live on stream for a while. It was really quite thrilling.

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #289 on: December 15, 2012, 11:13:24 pm »
This is something that I've been meaning to write for a long time, but never got around to.
Now, if anyone thinks that I'm filthy cheater and that what I'm describing destroys all the enjoyment from the game, you are as entitled to your opinion as any guy, I'm just not interested in knowing it or discussing it. I'm mostly writing it for those, who can find this useful.

Now, it turns out that it many games that do not allow restoring old saves it still can be done relatively painlessly. I'm using this for FTL, and I'm also using this for other games that DO allow restoring saves (such as Legends of Grimrock) to share saves between several computers.

I'm using Dropbox for it and an addon application.

The idea is really simple. You find the folder where the saves are stored by the game. If it is not obvious, where they are, I use Process Monitor to find out.

Then I link  the saves folder to my Dropbox using the addin. (Just right click on the folder in the Windows Explorer and choose "Sync with Dropbox".
Now, whenever game saves files they get automatically synced with Dropbox. And since Dropbox keeps history of changes, it is possible to see all the previous saves on the Dropbox web site, when you are logged it. Choose "Previous versions" or "Show deleted" depending on how the game saves work. For FTL, where all saves go to the same file "Previous versions" works nicely. Now you can chose to roll back to any historic save and Dropbox will restore it for you.

This way you can return to an earlier point in the game even if this was not envisioned by the game designers, and I don't talk FTL only, most games that have local saves can use this technique. You do not need to frustrate over a small mistake you've just made and inability to re-try.

FTL saves when you choose "Save+Quit" only. So you need to choose this option when you want to make a save.

For Legends of Grimlock, I play it on two computers, and since steam sync of saves is not supported, this is how I make sure that the game saves are synced over my two PCs. Once set up it's completely transparent and a pure joy.

Thought that someone can find this little trick useful.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 11:19:11 pm by zespri »

Offline doctorfrog

« Reply #290 on: December 16, 2012, 01:14:42 am »
Savescumming ain't for me, but I have no problem with you doing it. Have fun with this good video game.

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #291 on: December 16, 2012, 04:08:55 am »
Knew about this trick already and it doesn't bother me if anyone wants to save-scum, its just not what I find fun.
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #292 on: December 19, 2012, 11:47:33 am »
In a single player game, I could care less if people cheat :P If it increases the enjoyment they get out of the game, all the better.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Histidine

« Reply #293 on: April 11, 2014, 12:30:06 pm »
So the free expansion is out. Anyone been playing it?

There's some fun new things in it, including C variants of all ships (except crystal cruiser and the new alien one) and new ship systems. The new flak cannon and gatling lasers are pretty cool (my last run was a Stealth B with Weapon Pre-Igniter + Flak II + Glaive Beam - great lulz ensued).

Oh, and your crewmembers can actually be of more than one ethnicity now  ::)

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #294 on: April 11, 2014, 03:56:09 pm »
According to steam forums it became more luck based now. If you did not happen to come across the right combination of upgrades you have little chance defeating the final boss. Especially on hard. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 06:15:51 pm by zespri »

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #295 on: April 11, 2014, 05:28:08 pm »
It's always been luck based to a large degree. Still an amazing game and strategy plays a large role. Once you have some experience with the game you'll know when your situation is hopeless and restart to save time. It has certainly become a lot harder since the patch, even on normal.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #296 on: April 11, 2014, 11:21:59 pm »
Yeah, it was always luck based. Though I'm not sure I agree fully with it being MORE luck based now. Probably the other way around, but I've not spent enough time with it to really tell yet.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #297 on: April 29, 2014, 11:59:04 pm »
According to steam forums it became more luck based now. If you did not happen to come across the right combination of upgrades you have little chance defeating the final boss. Especially on hard.

Yeah, the previous version was just as luck based. From what I've played of it, which is about 5 hours? now, it feels very much like the original with just MORE stuff. And really good stuff. Weapons, abilities, new events, just everything expanded which I really enjoy. The new race adds an interesting dynamic to the gameplay as well. Overall, I'm enjoying FTL again and I had quit playing it when I hit around 49-50 hours because I got bored/sick of it so the fact that I'm playing again makes me happy.
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk