Author Topic: Fortresscraft Evolved  (Read 15245 times)

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
Re: Fortresscraft Evolved
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2016, 10:58:12 am »
The new expansion, Frozen Factory, is going to be released on the 11th, the same day as Release Raptor. This coincidence is really funny because the release date was originally also the 8th.
Cool.

But the expansion wasn't the only thing the deveolpers had been working on. There have been numerous other things been added to the game.
A better inventory system with sorting options.
FALCOR drones that collect junk that lies around, mostly used for collecting loot of defeated enemy waves.
A new cargo lift that travels very fast underground and collects ore from storage hoppers for you.
A new help system that gives you hints and "quests" in ordr to push you int he right direction of what to do next.
Workfloor excavator for digging out big areas to place machines and other stuff.
A complete new Spiderbot upgrade tree. Your Spiderbot starts out with nothing but can be equipped with researched weapons and will then protect your base.
Enriched coal. You can use organic parts to build a machine that infuses coal with power, so you get more energy out of it.
A better way to remove resin (hard alien block that grows if you let it eat ores from your conveyor lines). Basically a laser that removes the resin, before that you had to use explosives.
Mass storage upgrade. Now mass storages work a lot faster.
Crash sites. From time to time drop ships crash on the planet and contain research parts for research points (resource to unlock new recipes).
You can scan storage hoppers sou you can see what they contain.
Ore scanner improvement. It now shows exactly what ores it has found instead of just where ores are.
Organic recombination. Make useless organic parts useful.
Easier gameplay for newer players, balancing improvements so early recipes aren't that expensive anymore.
Casual mode for players that don't want to wait a full day to get all the resources they need.

And a lot of other stuff that I cannot list. But these have been the best improvements of the game in my opinion.

However, there have also been some decisions that I don't like. Smelters now work only on the surface, they used to work anywhere, so you could smelt your ores directly at ore veins and then transport your bars to the storage. This was changed because the developer felt that people abused this too much.
As someone who played this previously but hasn't recently:
Better inventory? Great.
Collection drones? Sounds good.
Cargo lift sounds very useful.
progression, cool. Might help.
New excavator tool sounds good. Probably needs lots of power.
Spiderbot now has upgrades? Awesome.
Enriched coal was already in last time I played, does it have an icon now?
Hadn't run into resin before, no opinion.
Faster mass storage is better mass storage!
Free research points, awesome.
Actually knowing whats in the hoppers, good.
Better ore scanner is so very much appreciated.
Organic recombinator isn't new to me, needed a bunch of power.
Casual mode? Huh, ok.

Also yes, vanilla minecraft is boringly empty compared to modcraft.

Offline Mad Rubicant

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2016, 07:53:30 pm »
I'm totally incapable of playing vanilla minecraft, personally. Not enough stuff to do, and building for beauty's sake doesn't interest me much.

No, I play heavily modded minecraft to make the game play itself. One of my favorite things is setting up Thermal Expansion ore processing, usually fed by a quarry. Then I make it all self-sufficient so that it'll run until it runs out of storage space.

Generally I play the massive modpack aptly named "The 1.7.10 Pack" since it has a copy of nearly every major mod updated to 1.7.10.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2016, 10:19:05 pm »
Interesting points. I tend to get bored VERY quickly of games without goals. That's why I don't like Minecraft. There's literally nothing driving me to progress. Terraria at least has bosses to beat and new biomes to reach. I think that's enough of a push in the right direction for me. But Minecraft really put me to sleep in no time.

Well, that's the thing about it:  I like that Minecraft just sorta causes new goals to appear out of the air, IF you allow them to.

Typically when I start a new world, my first goal is to get a Nether Gate operational.  First major goal, anyway.  So, the first minor goal becomes "Find diamonds" or sometimes "find a lava pool" if I'm getting impatient about the diamonds.  Along the way towards getting this, there's typically other minor goals that appear.  I need coal to advance into dark areas.  I need iron to make a pick that can actually dig up the diamonds.  Or I need buckets if I'm going the lava route (which also means iron).  On the way down, maybe I find an abandoned mineshaft (dungeon-like maze area, typically filled with poison spiders and the spawners that create them, nasty things).  New goal:  Explore the mineshaft maze, there's probably diamonds in there but also other things.  Sub-goals in there tend to be finding and destroying spider spawners, and gathering rail tracks.  Other goals may appear while exploring the maze depending on what the RNG does, and what other things I may be wanting to accomplish overall. Once I have a gate functioning, more goals appear, typically involving the Nether Fortresses (other dungeon-like area filled with fire-based mobs) because I want a very specific thing found in those.  In doing that, I need to explore the Nether, I probably also want to set up a farm that involves chickens (because I need arrows in that place), which typically finding a biome that actually has enough damn chickens, which might also mean setting up more gates so I can reach said biome sometime this century, and other things.   In other words, the game tends to give tons of goals, but it's up to the player to decide on what they are, and how to go about finding them.   Instead of terraria's extremely linear approach (which I don't mind, but it does get exceedingly repetitive to me).   The one and only problem to me is that Minecraft does NOT give you any real explanation on how it works overall; the console versions have a bit of a tutorial, but it's very sparse, and the PC version doesn't give you a damn thing.  You have to know enough about the game to understand all of these possibilities, or you wont know that any of them are there.   To be fair though, Terraria does this too.

And then it just gets more and more loopy with modpacks, where the complexity just goes berserk.  It can become overwhelming with those.

That being said, the game DOES have bosses to go after for those players that really want to.  The quest towards the Dragon is a long and tangled one, with a million things that must be done in order to advance through that, but the reward of opening up an entire new zone filled with some of the game's rarest items if you can manage to do it.  There's another boss, the Wither, the most dangerous thing in the game, but I usually don't recommend trying for that one.  Lastly there's the Elder Guardians, and you have to go into a particularly nasty type of place to deal with them, I usually don't go anywhere near that hellhole without massively enchanted equipment and about 5 sets of potions on me at once, and even then the chances of dying are pretty high.  All those underwater deathrays.

I'm totally incapable of playing vanilla minecraft, personally. Not enough stuff to do, and building for beauty's sake doesn't interest me much.

No, I play heavily modded minecraft to make the game play itself. One of my favorite things is setting up Thermal Expansion ore processing, usually fed by a quarry. Then I make it all self-sufficient so that it'll run until it runs out of storage space.

Generally I play the massive modpack aptly named "The 1.7.10 Pack" since it has a copy of nearly every major mod updated to 1.7.10.

Yeah, I've seen plenty of others say the same things.

I'm not fond of automation myself, I get bored of the machinery stuff pretty fast.  My thought is usually "I'll go questing for the damn ores myself, thank you very much".   

Also I'm not too fond of building stuff for the sake of beauty anyway.  Not that I'd be any good at that.  I tend to make practical structures that end up being a bit of a distorted mess.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 12:33:04 am by Misery »

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2016, 01:12:02 am »
Yeah, I don't like automating away the minding.  Storage, sorting, smelting? Sure, any day.

However, if you want to see the penultimate in automated mining, I preset:
The variable speed, fully automated, world strip mining barge.

And I do mean "strip mining."  It mines out the entire width of 16 blocks down to bedrock in about 2 seconds and because it chunk loads and pulls power from a tesseract, a friend had one go AWOL on a server. They tried to catch it, but it was so far out in front that they gave up (it had like a 4 day head start).

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 02:31:21 pm »
Frozen Factory is out now. But the price is even bigger than the main game oO
I'm not so sure if I still want to get it then, it's the expansion, not an entirely new game. How does he justify this price?
He stated "because I have two cats that have to be fed". Okay, whatever.
It currently has a price drop anyway for the whole week, so it would be advised to get it now if ever.

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2016, 05:11:18 pm »
Looking at the steam page, I'd say because the base game is currently half off.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2016, 11:48:24 pm »
Bought the DLC but noticed that I cannot build the new stuff. Was probably too early to jump into the expansion, after all it is meant to start after you have completed the main game (which I haven't). However it is possible to built the underground base before you have destroyed the overminds but it's not adviced.

I'm currently at the point to smelt steel bars from iron and nickel which I need to get access to the tier 3 ores (crystal ore and biomass). I have automated the steel production so I can later build a lot of steel cutter heads. I noticed however that my base is horribly unorganized (just liek the rest of my life, lol), so until I got enough steel I'm rebuilding my base into a better shape.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk