Author Topic: Endless Space  (Read 34074 times)

Offline Echo35

• Master Member Mark II
  • More turrets! MORE TURRETS!
Re: Endless Space
« Reply #135 on: November 30, 2012, 03:43:35 pm »
Yea; I think it's decent (compared to the total-flops we're getting used to in the space-4X world), but "It's like a worse form of Civilization V, in space." is about how I feel about it too.  But I wish the developers well, this could be a good step in the right direction.

Hence why I stopped playing, I didn't like Civ V either. In terms of space 4X games I have yet to find anything that tops GalCiv 2 and Space Empires 4/5, and of course MOO 1/2.

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #136 on: November 30, 2012, 06:31:27 pm »
Yea; I think it's decent (compared to the total-flops we're getting used to in the space-4X world), but "It's like a worse form of Civilization V, in space." is about how I feel about it too.  But I wish the developers well, this could be a good step in the right direction.

Hence why I stopped playing, I didn't like Civ V either. In terms of space 4X games I have yet to find anything that tops GalCiv 2 and Space Empires 4/5, and of course MOO 1/2.
Lol ironically I wasn't a big fan of Civ V myself.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Y PzKpfw Tiger!
« Reply #137 on: November 30, 2012, 07:23:38 pm »
Honestly, I never understood the appeal of Endless space. I even tried it, but...what the hell would make anyone want to play that?

Boredom, Curiosity or Desperation don't count.
The beatings shall continue
until morale improves!

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #138 on: December 27, 2012, 09:51:37 pm »
Gotta agree, despite the great looks the game has no soul.. no meat. It is again just a sort of repeating sandbox game, and I own it and played it for 14 hours. In those 14 hours nothing unique or interesting happened. (lots of fights against pirates though).

This is not why I play 4x games.. but at least it is the 1 game all other games should take as a mark on how to design GUI elements (except the 1 issue.. font scaling) ^^
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #139 on: December 28, 2012, 12:11:31 pm »
I agree. It looks gorgeous, but beyond that it's mind blowingly boring. I've spent almost a hundred hours on Master of Orion 2 lately and it looks like arse in comparison, but the gameplay is stellar. Endless Space is just an endless snorefest, unfortunately. :/
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #140 on: May 28, 2013, 06:55:00 pm »
Anyway, I'm sure I'll get around to playing this again sometime soon. My latest distraction has been Crusader Kings 2, so I need to go and imprison my scheming cousin now.

Crusader Kings 2 is 75% off on Steam now, in case you guys are interested.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #141 on: May 28, 2013, 06:56:44 pm »
Crusader Kings 2 is 75% off on Steam now, in case you guys are interested.
I've already got a copy (and bought 2 for other people) but yea, if any of you don't already have it I heartily suggest giving it a look :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #142 on: June 29, 2013, 10:14:30 am »
Can someone who's got the Disharmony expansion tell us a little about it?

Personal perception, new bugs, improved aspects, new mechanics and so forth?
until morale improves!

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #143 on: June 29, 2013, 10:24:17 am »
Bugs aside, I like playing as the Harmony. But the ship design has gotten somewhat worse until they fix the bugs related to how you can research a new weapon type and then not be able to make any of that kind of weapon because you don't have the resources needed for the newer one.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #144 on: June 29, 2013, 11:40:54 am »
Tried about 50 turns of disharmony.

A lil clunky, but a 4X vet will manage fine.

Research is hit and miss, but with good inferences you can guess what does what.

Ship design is...not so clear, but at least it allows depth to experiment. Happy my beloved missile boats still shine. I wish greyed out modules told you wwhat you need to unlock though.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #145 on: June 29, 2013, 12:14:03 pm »
On reflection, so.far, the.game is not as good.as orion for replayability. Orion 1 is very fast paced if you wish, and any 4X game since then cant do so much. Not a particular knock against ES though.

The game while not perfectly clear is a lot better then say SoTS III though.

I like the.races the most so far. They feel distinct. I'm delighted to play as a economic / military juggernaught. I like how.there are so different things are influenced by it, including victory.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #146 on: June 29, 2013, 01:41:57 pm »
I just lost my taste for the game after grinding seven civilisations into the dust, one after the other, all the while using exactly the same ships and having my economy handled by AI govs. Picking something to research every five turns and sending the same winning combination to battle again and again...meh. Not so fun.

PS: I was at war with EVERY other civilisation, and several of them had significantly better economic/research ratings than me. Meh.
until morale improves!

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #147 on: June 30, 2013, 10:45:17 pm »
Just checked out their forums.

Oh ****.

Man, I have no idea how they got their ideas of balance.

I feel sickened, literally sick, about how the balance is.

Was daydreaming at work today about playing it more tonight, then checked those forums, and the idiocy in how (un)balanced it is andhow "It's not a bug, it's a feature!" still exists today.

Seriously, it is like someone who never played a single game of MOO (# of your choice) made these games. MOO 1 and 2 have different philosophies in game design (1 is streamlined and fast paced, II is complex and slow), but they at least agreed that if something costs % percent, it really needs a % percent benefit.

Case in point, if armor costs % of your ship space, it gives you an extra % in HP. If something gives a flat bonus, it needs a flat cost.
Flat values are better for it gives "larger" ships more flexibility and/or allows them to equip modules smaller ships cannot. This fact is necessary to compensate for larger ships costing more. For this reason, %modules are rare, and only really used if you can only have so many slots in a "slot" so may desire the increase in % as opposed to flat amounts (for example, if you can get only one type of hull, then having a hull that provides an increased % over the base is desirable).

...But in this game, modules give a flat bonus always, but cost a % space...so why would you ever want a larger more costly hull again?...

I can go on. The most accurate weapon overall (beams) is the one most able to overcome defenses? The least powerful weapons aside from alpha (missiles) is the most easily countered? The least accurate weapon in 80% of battles (kinetics) aren't more efficient?

*yawn*

Back to MOO (1)
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #148 on: July 01, 2013, 12:54:17 am »
Sounds like it.

MoO3 for me.
until morale improves!