Author Topic: DOOM  (Read 11899 times)

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
Re: DOOM
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2016, 10:32:02 pm »
There's some that just haaaaaaaate it, and others that are really loving it.

Just from your OP, I can say I will pass. However I always wish to increase universal happiness, so I am glad  you enjoy it.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2016, 12:49:51 am »
Well, honestly, what people think of this one is going to be dependent on just what they want out of it.

For me the multiplayer... the only thing that's been testable... isn't what I've been after, so if it's a bit quirky I'm fine with that.   I'm after the singleplayer, but I have to wait all that damn time to draw any conclusions on it, which is... irritating.   Anyone that's after the singleplayer should try not to make assumptions on it yet since *nothing* has been shown regarding it.

Right now a lot of the complaints are from those that were indeed after the multiplayer mostly.  I can understand where they are coming from on it.  Most of the complaints have been valid, if very subjective.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2016, 07:15:32 am »
After having given this a whirl, I can't see why you would bother with this over any other modern multiplayer FPS. They're basically taken everything from Halo and CoD and baked it into this game, thinly veiled in a DOOM aestethic. Not a fan. It's a bog standard arena shooter, and I'd rather play Quake Live than this tbh. The single player is what I care about. I'm hoping that's better.

This is a wash to be. Completely bland and uninteresting play. It's a bit faster than most modern FPSs but that's it. I'd MUCH rather play Tribes: Ascend than this.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2016, 07:29:35 am »
Trailers reminded me of call of duty, and that is not a good thing ;P Killmoves in MP/SP, that is a REALLY bad thing. At least in BF4 you can counter knife attacks if someone is daft enough to do them frontally.

Also I gotta say, that a game like Doom has such uninspired level design makes me sad. How hard is it to make hell look different than "burning hot lava, stone buildings (why.. why stone buildings and castles????) and disfigured demons" ? But apparently it's incredibly hard when you are not even trying.

Doom 3 was a pivotal achievement, the SP allowed exploration, discovery and was actually incredibly atmospheric, and it seems ever since Doom 3 this company has been trying to clone Cod more and more and make Doom less like Doom 3, and more like quake 4 (which I thought was abysmal)

If you want a decent arena shooter, play Quake 3 or UT2k4 with a no hitscan bullet mod (not UT3.. that was abysmal too)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 07:31:17 am by eRe4s3r »
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2016, 08:13:09 am »
Trailers reminded me of call of duty, and that is not a good thing ;P Killmoves in MP/SP, that is a REALLY bad thing. At least in BF4 you can counter knife attacks if someone is daft enough to do them frontally.

Also I gotta say, that a game like Doom has such uninspired level design makes me sad. How hard is it to make hell look different than "burning hot lava, stone buildings (why.. why stone buildings and castles????) and disfigured demons" ? But apparently it's incredibly hard when you are not even trying.

Doom 3 was a pivotal achievement, the SP allowed exploration, discovery and was actually incredibly atmospheric, and it seems ever since Doom 3 this company has been trying to clone Cod more and more and make Doom less like Doom 3, and more like quake 4 (which I thought was abysmal)

If you want a decent arena shooter, play Quake 3 or UT2k4 with a no hitscan bullet mod (not UT3.. that was abysmal too)

Doom always was lava, blood, and stone, with some metallic/electronic bits.  It never really was anything else.  Doom 1 and 2, that is.  As always I just prefer to ignore the fact that 3 ever existed (I seriously cant overstate my hatred for the "survival horror" genre, which is what that one fell into).  The further something gets from Doom 3, the better I'm likely to think it is.  Honestly just thinking about that game irritates me.  There are only two other games that disappointed me that much:  SimCity 2013, and the most recent Anno game (not 2070, that one is awesome).  Thinking about those also irritates me.  But that's a whole other rant, so back to Doom...

The look of the new one isn't particularly creative... but it's what I expected, so that works well enough.  Which is about all I'll notice when it comes to the graphics and that junk.  I know a lot of people put that sort of thing as high on the list of importance, but I don't actually care about that.

Quake I never liked.  They went berserk with the mechanics, all that bizarro jumping crap that they did, feh.   Never liked the feel of it, or even the look of it.  I dunno, wether playing or watching it always just looked kinda silly to me.

I'm not entirely sure what an "arena shooter" is though.  I assume this specifically means Quake's MULTIPLAYER?  Bah.  I'm aware of it.  Not a fan.  People that know me tend to think my dislike of it is a little odd considering that I gravitate towards anything that tends to be fast, but.... yeah, I never liked the mechanics.

As for "kill moves"... I'm not entirely sure what that means either.   If you mean one-hit-kills, well, I have no idea what the OLD Doom's multiplayer was like (I only started to be able to try multiplayer with later games such as Hexen), but the singleplayer... haha, it was called the Berserk Pack, back then.  One punch, everything dies. Well, anything that wasn't huge, like a Baron or Hell Knight.  It was hilarious, and my favorite way to go through the game. Who needs guns when you have that?  Though, frankly, in multiplayer if you allow an opponent to get so close as to use such a thing, it's really your own fault.  In THIS, if you're standing around for so long that someone is able to get that close, you're not doing it right to begin with.  When playing/watching the game (I ignore trailers) I never saw someone actually pull one off.  Close-up attacks are usually done with the shotgun.  Getting SUPER close... it just never occurred.   This isn't CoD.  A lot of mobility here, and fights are prolonged.

After having given this a whirl, I can't see why you would bother with this over any other modern multiplayer FPS. They're basically taken everything from Halo and CoD and baked it into this game, thinly veiled in a DOOM aestethic. Not a fan. It's a bog standard arena shooter, and I'd rather play Quake Live than this tbh. The single player is what I care about. I'm hoping that's better.

This is a wash to be. Completely bland and uninteresting play. It's a bit faster than most modern FPSs but that's it. I'd MUCH rather play Tribes: Ascend than this.

Again, I don't play other modern ones because they're boring; with the hyper-quick engagements and obsession over sniping and hiding, they're just... dull.  Stuff doesn't HAPPEN.   The only modern FPS I got into at all is actually Destiny (which just goes off on it's own tangent).  For non-FPS, Nintendo's Splatoon (which I love). 

Other than those, this is as close as I can get to the sort of thing I want out of the genre... as far as multiplayer goes, that is.

As you said, I too am mostly just after the singleplayer; the multiplayer is just an extra thing to me.  I don't even consider the game to be an "arena shooter" or anything like that since I'm not classifying it by it's multiplayer.

Tribes I never played.  Though, as I understand it, that game was mostly multiplayer-focused, which at the time is probably why I didn't play it.  Nowadays I can get into multiplayer games a bit more easily thanks to all the time with fighting games, but back then I never touched that one (if it's from the era I'm thinking it is).   Back then the only multiplayer I ever bothered with was all MMOs.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2016, 11:54:23 am »
The reason I prefer Tribes over this is that Tribes is FAST and doesn't have hitscan weapons so you need to predict in order to hit someone which makes the game FEEL more skillful.

Oh and "Killmoves" is a one-hit kill with a short animation, normally called "takedowns" in other games.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2016, 07:55:23 pm »
I don't know what "hitscan" means.

For the other bit though... ah, I see.  Those silly little animations.  I just don't use them, they test my patience too much.  It's like, just jam the damn knife up their nose and be done with it!  Don't stand there and pose or whatever...

In THIS game there's no reason to use them, that's what the shotgun is for.  I know the game HAS them, but I fail to see the point.  Those moves require that I be TOUCHING my opponent; the shotgun does not.  Why would I use them?

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2016, 08:57:48 pm »
I don't know what "hitscan" means.
Hitscan is when an enemy is in your crosshair and you pull the trigger. The bullet/damage is applied at that moment and there is no simulated projectile that has to hit first. This makes shooting stuff easier because your enemy cannot move out of the way once you shoot him while he is in your aim. Animations aside of yourse that still migth suggest that you have a flying projectile.

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2016, 12:47:38 am »
Hitscan weapons let you hit someone as soon as you can aim at them. No projectile flight time. It likely still has (completely irrelevant) animations though.

Also now that I've seen some footage of the game...I don't think they know where they want to go with the multiplayer. They have powerup pickups, but no weapon pickups (a superweapon doesn't count, thats a powerup imo). They also have some guns that seem clearly worse than others, but you can't jsut pickup the better-seeming gun, you have to use your loadout. It can go fast and you should go fast but if you use a melee you get stalled (and killed) by unneeded animations. You apparently have progression, but it does barely anything after you unlock whichever of the guns are locked. There are random power ups but most of them sound useless and the rest start you with armor on respawn or literally wallhax like you're playing blacklight retribution instead of doom.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2016, 01:50:09 am »
Hitscan weapons let you hit someone as soon as you can aim at them. No projectile flight time. It likely still has (completely irrelevant) animations though.

Also now that I've seen some footage of the game...I don't think they know where they want to go with the multiplayer. They have powerup pickups, but no weapon pickups (a superweapon doesn't count, thats a powerup imo). They also have some guns that seem clearly worse than others, but you can't jsut pickup the better-seeming gun, you have to use your loadout. It can go fast and you should go fast but if you use a melee you get stalled (and killed) by unneeded animations. You apparently have progression, but it does barely anything after you unlock whichever of the guns are locked. There are random power ups but most of them sound useless and the rest start you with armor on respawn or literally wallhax like you're playing blacklight retribution instead of doom.

Certain elements in the game were likely simply added because of current trends; it's a popular mechanic to use loadouts, for instance, same with the stupid kill animations.   With the kill animations though... again, I cant imagine any reason to actually USE those.  I'll likely never even hit the key to use one, not even once.  Bloody stupid idea.

The only bit that bugs me about that is I *do* already know that they ruined the damn chainsaw in singleplayer with that idea.  You sit through a stupid animation every time.  Granted, I never used the chainsaw much, as it never was a fast way to kill anything to begin with... I'll be more annoyed if they did that with the Berserk Pack. 

Progression, now... I understand exactly why they did that.  That one, honestly, is unavoidable now.  Players expect replay value.  And because of idiotic trends, "replay value" = "how long it takes to get 100%".  As opposed to playing the game in question because you simply want to.  Progression systems in multiplayer are added in an attempt to keep the player interested, keep them wanting to attain that shiny next level even if it doesn't DO much.  And it works, it always works (unless the game in question is really freaking bad).   I don't mind it because damn near every game these days... multiplayer or singleplayer... pulls the "get 100%!!!11" crap these days.  So though I don't like it much, I've gotten used to it.

The bit about the weapons though, I actually *really* prefer the loadouts.  No starting with a stupid pea-shooter and having to run, over and over again, to the same probably-camped spots on the map to grab ACTUAL weapons.  I always absolutely hated that.  You're not actually stuck with a single loadout, either; you choose one each time you respawn.  Ending up with the wrong weapons for the situation, thusly, is always the player's fault, not because of things like weapon placements on the maps.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2016, 06:15:57 am »
I also prefer loadouts as it allows to adapt to situations, but if I want that I play BF4 ;p
Server tickrate is actually the most important element for a MP fps game... we'll see what they set it at, but I am spoiled by BF4 144hz bubble tickrate. The effect this had on how responsive the game felt is beyond words. If you never played BF4 beta (where it was 10) you could think BF4 was never totally broken (but believe me.. until they added this high tickrate bubble the game was a total lagging mess, every action was delayed by at least 100ms (and in worst case, by 199ms +ping of both players +packet loss).

Tickrate becomes even more important when you have flight times for projectiles (rocket launcher is a good example) ...

And killmoves are canned animations. Imo they completely break the flow of Doom MP... and the chainsaw every kill is a 1.7s animation must have been an absurdly bad joke or something.
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2016, 07:51:46 am »
Yes, I hate canned animations in basically anything like this.

If it moves really fast, or even somewhat fast.... it shouldn't have canned animations, period.  It just breaks up the pacing and in a multiplayer situation, gets you flattened.

I mean, I understand that they have to try to provide some extra visual spectacle for a game like this.  But still, it's derpy.

But we'll see what happens.  Since the multiplayer is developed by a whole different studio than the singleplayer (...what?) there might be some major differences.

....except for that chainsaw.  Ugh. 

Offline JamesGoblin

• My name is Goblin. James Goblin.
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2016, 06:12:35 am »

...Since the multiplayer is developed by a whole different studio than the singleplayer (...what?) ...

Silly thing indeed. They kinda outsourced to each other o,O
Trivia: Warhammer Online is best game ever made.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2016, 10:07:27 am »
I'm not touching this 'til I see some single player action.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2016, 02:00:01 am »
THIS IS 50 FREAKING GIGABYTES IN SIZE!!!

My connection (when it's working) is stupidly fast, but this... this is madness.  This will take awhile to download.

Also, the game is out.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk