Author Topic: Do you like Diablo 3?  (Read 111181 times)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Do you like Diablo 3?
« Reply #345 on: September 04, 2014, 06:45:14 pm »
Must... resist... spending... money... on... online-only (single-player)... game...
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #346 on: September 04, 2014, 06:52:06 pm »
Must... resist... spending... money... on... online-only (single-player)... game...
Lol. Would you like me to buy it for you? (This offer only extends to  keith.lamothe the famous programmer from Arcen Games studio)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #347 on: September 04, 2014, 06:55:03 pm »
That's very kind of you (though I am not famous and hope never to be), but in general I'm just trying to avoid supporting that sort of developer/publisher decision (make single-player require an internet connection).
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #348 on: September 04, 2014, 07:07:52 pm »
That's very kind of you
Nah, there risk you would take me up on this was really small. (Although I was prepared to follow through)

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #349 on: September 04, 2014, 07:58:59 pm »
Lol. Would you like me to buy it for you? (This offer only extends to  keith.lamothe the famous programmer from Arcen Games studio)

How many copies of AI war would you need to buy for that?  :D

Also, I would try out PoE. But no official mac support, and I'm very much disinclined to use wine or bootcamp anymore these days.

Offline Castruccio

« Reply #350 on: September 04, 2014, 10:56:44 pm »
That's very kind of you (though I am not famous and hope never to be), but in general I'm just trying to avoid supporting that sort of developer/publisher decision (make single-player require an internet connection).

Buy Grim Dawn instead!  Get an ARPG, and help support an indie!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #351 on: September 04, 2014, 11:00:14 pm »
I'm glad they're making the game, but I generally reserve actual purchasing for once it's out of early access :)  Mainly because I really prefer not to play early-access as otherwise my chance at enjoying the game is spent on a less-than-complete experience.  In some cases it's more than good enough, and perhaps that would be the case with Grim Dawn judging by what folks are saying.  It doesn't sound as compelling an experience as D3, though.  Interesting, but not "want play now".

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #352 on: September 04, 2014, 11:16:42 pm »

Buy Grim Dawn instead!  Get an ARPG, and help support an indie!
I'm not into early access. Will consider after release.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #353 on: September 05, 2014, 12:45:28 pm »
I'll second the suggestion of trying out Path of Exile.  There really is a whole lot going on with that game.

And that skill tree... well, you'd have to see that for yourself. 

Whole thing is a very well made/polished game of this sort, with alot more complexity than usual. 

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #354 on: September 05, 2014, 12:51:16 pm »
Started Path of Exile but have been staying away due to the expansion's destruction of the game servers. Still, what I played of it intrigues me. (I'm sure the servers are back up now)
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline orzelek

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #355 on: September 05, 2014, 01:25:42 pm »
One drawback of playing PoE is that you will need to get used to various form of desync. It happens more or less often but it happens and you need to be more careful because of that.
Expansion added some more special missions and some of them are notorious in desyncing and it's quite dangerous there.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #356 on: September 05, 2014, 02:30:41 pm »
Desyncing even in singleplayer?  Even in non-expansion stuff?  How much progress are we talking about losing, and how often?

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #357 on: September 05, 2014, 02:49:35 pm »
Even in single player you are still playing on a remote server. The desyncs are fairly minor. I play in Hardcore exclusively (you die and that's it) and I haven't had any issues despite winning the game and moving up to the final boss on the second difficulty.

Understand the POE ends up being a lot about wiping out large packs of enemies, so AOE is pretty standard for every single character. As a result, a desync of a mob a short distance doesn't save it. It certainly isn't ideal and if memory serves D3 is much better about that not happening. But the desyncs aren't really a concern for me.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #358 on: September 05, 2014, 02:51:25 pm »
Fair enough, just wanted to know what I'd be in for.

From AIW, the word "desync" conjures the phrase "fate worse than death" ;)

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #359 on: September 05, 2014, 03:02:52 pm »
In diablo sometimes you char moves a short distance instanteniusly, which I think also a form of getting out of desync. This happens fairly rarely to me though. May be once in several hours. I think this is mostly because of the internet connection rather then something else.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk