Author Topic: Do you like Diablo 3?  (Read 111280 times)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Do you like Diablo 3?
« Reply #255 on: June 27, 2012, 12:22:26 pm »
What is "single player"? Oh! I see. You mean "multiplayer without other people". Why are you looking at me like that?
We're considering how much loot you would drop.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #256 on: July 08, 2012, 09:10:18 am »
What is "single player"? Oh! I see. You mean "multiplayer without other people". Why are you looking at me like that?
We're considering how much loot you would drop.
*dies laughing* I couldn't even come up with anything clever to reply, because I was laughing so hard.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #257 on: July 09, 2012, 05:18:40 am »
Found this today. I can't stop laughing.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #258 on: July 09, 2012, 09:51:36 am »
Towards the end there was actually a slight variation where the axe paused right on hitting one of the big guys, and I wondered if it was physically resistant or something.  Then the flash plugin snapped out of it and the video resumed without variation; it had just been a lag spike.

Seems oddly appropriate.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #259 on: July 09, 2012, 11:54:46 am »

Needs more lags, server crashes and server errors.

King
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline zebramatt

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #260 on: July 09, 2012, 11:59:47 am »
I pretty much feel that way about all Diablo games, and many other games besides.

Doesn't mean I don't enjoy the bubble popping fun though!  :)

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #261 on: July 09, 2012, 02:00:48 pm »

Was expecting the point where in a flash the heroes die.

Again.

and again.

and again.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #262 on: July 11, 2012, 09:35:38 am »
That's the flash about Hell. This was likely normal/Nightmare :P

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #264 on: August 03, 2012, 08:50:31 am »
hee-hee http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/08/03/wow-loses-1-1m-subs-in-one-quarter-blames-diablo/
I guess it's all a matter of perspective but it's pretty funny to me that someone would be bothered by going down to grossing $90,000,000 per month because another one of your products just made $60 a pop off those customers (not counting the RMA)... I guess life is different when you have shareholders :)

Offline BobTheJanitor

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #265 on: August 03, 2012, 07:56:09 pm »
I wish that RPS article had some sort of citation for that information. I don't see one at all. I'd just like to know where they're getting those numbers. MMO populations always seem to be extremely hard to find solid data on. [citation needed]

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
« Reply #266 on: August 03, 2012, 08:48:32 pm »
I wish that RPS article had some sort of citation for that information. I don't see one at all. I'd just like to know where they're getting those numbers. MMO populations always seem to be extremely hard to find solid data on. [citation needed]

Blizzard/Activision had their....idk what they call them exactly but their public announcements to their shareholders about how well they did, how well their products did and etc here just recently. So that's probably what RPS is referencing.
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline yllamana

« Reply #267 on: August 04, 2012, 02:16:48 am »
I never realised this thread existed, and just from a brief look it definitely went to some weird places!

It's probably worth noting that according to the release the majority (?) of the subscriptions lost were in Asia.

I'm not sure how the release of MoP will go for them. Anecdotally, pretty much nobody I know is excited about it, but that might change when the prerelease events or patches start. Guild Wars 2 and Planetside 2 are taking up most of the excitement bandwidth, but at a September 25 release date it might be far enough away from Guild Wars 2 that the honeymoon period will be over. I'll be surprised if they see a big drop in subscribers.

For my part, I didn't get into Starcraft 2 very much - I thought the single player had enjoyable gameplay but a story that seemed to retcon Brood War out of existence and ended by depowering and objectifying one of the most iconic female characters in gaming. The multiplayer I didn't like very much because of the "blink and you'll miss it" battle speed, where most games culminate in one ten second-long battle.

Then comes Diablo 3, with a story so badly conceived and executed that it shatters the believability of the world. Not only does it have villains who monologue, completely guileless, like they're on a cartoon - it literally was co-written by a kids' cartoon writer. Er, not that there's anything wrong with writing cartoons or things for kids, but it was a funny coincidence!

The environments were often fun to explore, and I liked the art (and blowing up some of the scenery was pretty entertaining - talk about bubble-popping!) but there were so many story interruptions and so many set pieces that it was very difficult to get into them, and if I did it wouldn't be for long. The combat was just... completely unfun and uninteresting. The abilities were sometimes nice in isolation, but so much of the gameplay boiled down to "press this one when you have no mana, and this one when you have mana, and maybe press this one when it's off cooldown because cooldowns are fun!"

No interesting story to draw me in and no fun gameplay make for a game I just have no reason to want to play (HI BORDERLANDS).

Anyway, sorry if I'm derailing the thread by talking about Diablo 3! :)

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #268 on: August 04, 2012, 12:30:35 pm »
For my part, I didn't get into Starcraft 2 very much - I thought the single player had enjoyable gameplay but a story that seemed to retcon Brood War out of existence and ended by depowering and objectifying one of the most iconic female characters in gaming.
Depowering and objectifying Sarah Kerrigan:  Please explain how Starcraft 2 did this.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
« Reply #269 on: August 04, 2012, 12:37:10 pm »
For my part, I didn't get into Starcraft 2 very much - I thought the single player had enjoyable gameplay but a story that seemed to retcon Brood War out of existence and ended by depowering and objectifying one of the most iconic female characters in gaming.
Depowering and objectifying Sarah Kerrigan:  Please explain how Starcraft 2 did this.

Yes, I'd like to hear this too, as I played that game and she was pretty much the same badass she was in SC1...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk