Author Topic: Do you like Diablo 3?  (Read 111189 times)

Offline Wanderer

• Master Member Mark II
  • If you're not drunk you're doing it wrong.
Re: Do you like Diablo 3?
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2012, 01:09:14 am »
Working out?  Just fine.

Other than the occassional Auction House maintenance, haven't really had a problem with it at all.  Playing along just fine on my KILL-LOOT-EVALUATE-KILL AGAIN! cycle.  Occasionally the background changes from swamp to desert to indoors.  Cool, MORE KILL.  MOAR LOOTZ!
... and then we'll have cake.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2012, 05:36:52 am »
Now i know what people say when they say that Inferno is unbalanced, it's not just unbalanced. A certain spider cave area is actually impossible (as in, without corpse hopping) when you have certain combinations of enemies (and with impossible, I mean elite groups that nobody on the world has ever managed to beat)

like fast vampire blocker arcane spiderlings

And I am not really a fan of the respawn mechanic. For SOLO that you can't get revived means some mobs you have to guide to the respawn point or you can't beat their regeneration speed. (regenerating mobs suck, by the way)

I found, that Inferno is actually easier SOLO...

Anyhow, I found the first set item (I was under the impression they don't exist ,p) sadly its a mage set... so I guess I'll be playing a mage next ;P Mages ought to have very easy time with focus on INT (i hear you need about 600 resistance against all to manage inferno easily)

But all that said, Inferno is a true and honest challenge. With some very broken situations and combinations of enemy perks that are extremely imbalanced.
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2012, 06:39:52 am »
Now i know what people say when they say that Inferno is unbalanced, it's not just unbalanced. A certain spider cave area is actually impossible (as in, without corpse hopping) when you have certain combinations of enemies (and with impossible, I mean elite groups that nobody on the world has ever managed to beat)

Wow! Just wow! You are already on inferno! It took me 18 hours just to get through first 2 acts on normal. It will probably be several months when I get to inferno... actually I think I just give up earlier.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2012, 07:16:39 am »
Yes, I know of many combinations of mobs that are impossible to kill.

Shielding and mortar plus another bad chacteristic is an annoying one.

There are at least a half dozen characteristics (more like a dozen from anecdotes) where if a mob gets two of them its 95% impossible and if they get three it is 100% impossible to beat them.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2012, 09:33:43 am »
Not even a Diamond Skin+Energy Armor(w/Force Armor)?  Because that is near un-killable when you run with no Vitality gear.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2012, 10:05:20 am »
Also, I'm gonna state my point clearly here. I'm not attacking your enjoyment or saying that Diablo 3 is a bad game. I'm attacking Blizzards (or more likely Activisions) business practices and their locking down on gamer freedom. That's what I'm attacking. Diablo 3 can be a stellar game for all I know (I haven't played it, remember?), but with what they've done with it, I have no will to ever touch it either.

As a side note, I'm also kind of flabberghasted at people that defend this kind of behaviour. How is this in any way beneficial to the gamer?
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2012, 11:01:52 am »
To a large extent, if a game is ridiculously fun, most players feel no particular need to attack or defend the surrounding business practices.  Whatever they may be.

To do so distracts from enjoying the ridiculously fun game.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2012, 12:59:02 pm »
To a large extent, if a game is ridiculously fun, most players feel no particular need to attack or defend the surrounding business practices.  Whatever they may be.

Would explain why everyone willingly downloaded Origin to play ME3....

King
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2012, 01:54:39 pm »
Believe it or not, there's a finite amount of damage Origin can do to you, and even-more-finite amount of damage it's actually likely to do to you :)

That said, yea, haven't gotten ME3 because of that, and would have autobought it on release on steam, possibly twice due to hitting the button too enthusiastically.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2012, 03:11:36 pm »
Believe it or not, there's a finite amount of damage Origin can do to you, and even-more-finite amount of damage it's actually likely to do to you :)

That said, yea, haven't gotten ME3 because of that, and would have autobought it on release on steam, possibly twice due to hitting the button too enthusiastically.

Heheh, yeah, same here on the Steam thing. Alas....

King
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2012, 08:06:42 pm »
Also, I'm gonna state my point clearly here. I'm not attacking your enjoyment or saying that Diablo 3 is a bad game. I'm attacking Blizzards (or more likely Activisions) business practices and their locking down on gamer freedom. That's what I'm attacking. Diablo 3 can be a stellar game for all I know (I haven't played it, remember?), but with what they've done with it, I have no will to ever touch it either.

As a side note, I'm also kind of flabberghasted at people that defend this kind of behaviour. How is this in any way beneficial to the gamer?

Certainly not defending it. I have railed against this kind of DRM multiple times and vigorously. It has deterred several of my purchases. However, in this case we are talking about Diablo 3. For some of us early middle-aged folk, Diablo is a childhood memory for us. We wasted all the time in the world on the original, more than that on the sequel, and more than likely tried to get that fix from all kind of games including Titan quest, torchlight, and more. But Blizzard does it best at creating a truly polished experience across all levels.

So in spite of the DRM and not in defense of it, yeah I'm playing it. I'm also having a good time. I've had some close calls due to lag spikes. I've had some issues with synchronization on multiplayer. But, I haven't died yet. I know ahead of time for hard-core just how much leeway I need to give myself. I wish there had been an off-line version. I wished the same thing about Starcraft 2. But what are my choices…pout while 5 million people get to enjoy their childhood again or maybe for the first time? Boycott by myself while Blizzard makes millions? And for what?

If I thought that holding out would have any effect on these horrible business practices, I certainly would do it. I'm not buying anything from EA anymore because of their policy and horrible platform that is a blight upon the gaming world. And I think that kind of gamer activism is working on them; they are listening. But in the case of Diablo, it's not working, it's not effective, and I would rather have what fun there is to be had than not.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2012, 09:48:47 pm »
Ok, so I'd like to say something about the gameplay. I'm not a hard core gamer, I take my time to do things in game and I do not like competition. Also I'm not a good gamer, I enjoy playing but most of my friends play better than me.

Diablo has been and is a lot of fun for me. I started with Monk and currently I'm level 27. I'm 22 hours in, 18 of them to finish first to acts on Normal.
At first the game was ridiculously easy. Everything around just died when you merely thought of it. Haven't used a single healing potion for first few levels. The first death was the Act 1 Boss, I died to it once. In the Act 2 things started to pick up a bit, but just a tiny bit. However I felt that the choice of spells is... well limiting.

They did away with respecs in Diablo3, which I think is great. You can't practically respec in the middle of a battle, but pretty much anywhere else. You can at the same time use 6 spells, one of which is your left mouse click attack. So two spells go to you left and right mouse buttons and another for to 1,2,3,4 on the keyboard (of course you can re-bind). So out of pool of spells you have you can choose 6 at a time. All available spells are divided in 6 groups and in each group there are 3-4 spells. Each spell can be augmented by this spell specific rune. There are about 5 runes for each spell. In addition there are 3 slots to choose from the pool of about 15 passive skill that are not bound to keyboard or mouse.

The character build calculator can get a rough idea what it looks like http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian

Of course skills and runes are unlocked gradually as you level up. There are not much to choose from on lower levels.

Also you can choose from one of the three followers, that also get unlocked in the process of levelling. I'm actually not quite sure what they are good for (anybody?) as their damage is about one fifth of what you are doing. They have four spell slots and in each slot you can choose one of the two given spells for this slot. There are also a few equipment slots for followers so you can give them a weapon, rings, necklace and an implement.

By the end of Act 2 I died probably 3-4 time, that is just before the battle with the Act 2 boss. Note, that I didn't really dwell a lot on the skill choice, every time I levelled up I briefly reviewed them and moved on. After I died 5 times in a row to the Act 2 boss, I had to think for a bit and changed my skills. This helped and I downed the Act 2 boss after a few more tries.

Act 3 started with quite sharp difficulty increase. I might need to re-think my skills again but in the first 4 hours of Act 3 I probably died  half a dozen times. I also noticed that the battles became more interesting. This boils down to enemy group composition and how individual enemies in the group behaves. It is quite satisfying to figure out how most efficiently to deal with this or that enemy group.

Also by reading what other players write about playing on higher difficulty level it seems that more layers get added to the gameplay.

Also played about 20 minutes with a wizard and was dying a lot until realizing (duh!!!!) that you have to move as a wizard, otherwise you get 3-4 hits killed. When you start with monk, you just can be in the centre of enemy group and be hitting them at your leisure.

I see myself playing Diablo 3 for quite awhile.

Now the bad: Auciton house is... well. If the game was the same state as AH, it would be impossible to play. AH is literally unusable. Lot of weird glitches, unbearable slowness. Searches not always work. Bought items don't appear for hours. Sometimes weird sums of gold appear in the incoming list, that can't be transferred to stash. Often actions time out, and a lot of time the whole AH is down. If it was the whole product, I would say it's utterly broken.

Disconnects. Yes, not often, but if you just before the end of the quest after clearing a big dungeon, they are infuriating. So far I had to of these infuriating ones. I had a dozen of others which where more tolerable because I didn't moved far yet, so if they keep happening and resetting me I'd just put Diablo 3 aside for awhile until stability restores.

Always on sucks. DRM sucks. AH issues suck. The game is great.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 09:50:31 pm by zespri »

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #102 on: May 25, 2012, 02:53:36 am »
the AH being broken as hell is the reason I am just scrapping everything I find lately, it's completely pointless to try selling it. Also I laugh at some of the prices in the AH... nobody is gonna pay 2 million gold for a unique item, if it were a SET then MAYBE (i have so far, found -1- single Set item)
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #103 on: May 26, 2012, 02:06:19 am »
Always on sucks. DRM sucks. AH issues suck. The game is great.
Awesome wrap up. Thanks!

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2012, 02:30:42 am »
I personally felt set items were far too rare in D2. You'd end up with 2-3 Set Items during a playthrough and all of them from different sets. Ugh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk