Author Topic: Do you like Diablo 3?  (Read 111215 times)

Offline orzelek

• Hero Member Mark III
Re: Do you like Diablo 3?
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2012, 12:36:53 pm »
1) Server maintenance and server blackouts keeping you from gaming, and we talking regularly here.
This is going to get sorted out the same way it did with WoW. Just give it some time.
That said, if someone wants to play Co-op on HARD i'd love to... in European zone though.
How long did it take you to play through normal?
I'm a bit slow and like to see whats under each stone - I have about 27h after finishing normal. Playing DH - but not sure if I will continue on Nightmare or go see other chars. I bought the game (altho at price quite a bit lower than 60 euros) and I won't regret it but need to be online part is also annoying for me. I have plans for coop tho so I will need to be online anyway.

As for server maintenance... what hours are you playing? I had no problems with maintenance and I think 1-2 errors from servers and I'm also in european zone. I get the lag spikes from time to time but nothing critical.

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
  • A Paladin Without A Crusade...
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2012, 12:41:39 pm »
In reply to Origin account banning. I view it this way, even the worst troll that paid for his product doesn't deserve to lose it via bans. It's just that he can't be allowed to affect anyone else's experience when he/she plays the game. At least, when getting banned for saying the wrong thing.

I forgot to mention the recent lies EA has been spreading around, which was really the final nail in the coffin for boycotting them. That crap about Steam is, just crap, especially since they still have a bunch of titles on Steam under their name, Shank and Shank 2 being the most recent releases. Yeah, Steam is sure stopping them...*sigh*.

EA resorting to dishonesty is just shameful. I wish they were just upfront in their honesty. At least then I can respect them for it. If they just want to move people to origin and don't want people buying from Steam, just say so.

As far as proof about Origin scanning your HD, it's actually in their EULA that you agree to allow them to scan your drives. Further quick research shows that they don't scan too much of your drive, but that's still too much for EA.  http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/24/eas-origin-eula-proves-even-more-sinister/ . http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/lsoj6/still_thinking_eas_origin_is_harmless/c2vbjty

King
Casual reviewer with a sense of justice.
Visit the Arcen Mantis to help: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2012, 02:00:30 pm »
In reply to Origin account banning. I view it this way, even the worst troll that paid for his product doesn't deserve to lose it via bans. It's just that he can't be allowed to affect anyone else's experience when he/she plays the game. At least, when getting banned for saying the wrong thing.
If the EULA clearly says "you troll our forums, Thog break your game, and no talk to talky man" (or whatever the equivalent legalese would be), then the troll would not have a right to keep playing the game.  The problem is that EA is not being clear about, and really seems to be actively dishonest about:
1) Does the EULA include that a forum ban may result in a game ban?
2) Does the EULA include that EA does not even have to discuss the reasons for, or appeals about, a ban-decision?

If the EULA doesn't include either of those, or some equivalent broad "we can do whatever we want", then the folks losing access to their games (and being stonewalled by that "this decision is final, no discussion" policy which seems to accompany most such situations) have the right to sue EA for breach of contract (or something similar, at least in the U.S.).  Class-action might be the way to go there, if there are enough people.

But my guess is that EA has its rear-end nice and covered legally.  Though to some extent public lying can eventually get you into legal trouble.

As far as proof about Origin scanning your HD, it's actually in their EULA that you agree to allow them to scan your drives. Further quick research shows that they don't scan too much of your drive, but that's still too much for EA.  http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/24/eas-origin-eula-proves-even-more-sinister/ . http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/lsoj6/still_thinking_eas_origin_is_harmless/c2vbjty
The first link is good reason to not accept the EULA (and not buy the game), because that's very broad permission indeed.  The second link seems to show that Origin isn't really doing anything fundamentally worse than steam (I guess you could argue that it doing it on initial install without asking is a problem, I dunno if steam does that, but Origin does seem to be restricting itself to potentially-relevant-to-customer-service information).

It's not that EA really deserves the benefit of the doubt anymore, but if we're not scrupulously honest in accusations towards even the most orcish of people, the result is generally just more problems.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 02:02:38 pm by keith.lamothe »
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2012, 02:07:19 pm »
I hate EULAs.  I really, really wish they'd go away.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2012, 02:19:12 pm »
I wish they, and the system surrounding them, were designed in such a way as to actually be reasonable to read and understand before installing.  But if a company expects a player to read a 40-page document written in apparently-deliberately-obtuse language and be bound to all the conditions therein... either the legal system has to default to "it's unreasonable, and therefore only common precedents regarding the merchant-customer relationship apply" or customers have to just not buy, or accept that they may actually have fewer rights after buying than before.  It's pretty weird.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2012, 04:31:12 pm »
So I went ahead and tried to support that path of exile, that was mentioned earlier on the thread.
I entered the credit card details on their site and got "There was an error processing your request". I tried to log off and then log on, but was told "Invalid Login". On another machine where I still was logged it I could see my profile and all. I tried to issue a forgotten password request and I received a change password email in fact... but it said that my account name is blank!

So I click my change password link, and it prompts for a new password and then logs me it. But as soon as I logout I can't login again, having "Invalid Login".

What a collection of bugs! I feel really nervous when in response to me entering my credit card data I get a error. Looks like a credit card data harvesting site. And if I didn't know better that's what I would have thought. And if the state of their login machinery is any indicative of how they program things, I'd stay away from their game either. Hopefully different people are in charges of the game and the site.

Gosh! I just wanted to give them some money!

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2012, 05:26:24 pm »

Yeah, EULAs do need to burn in a fire....

@Keith 1st thing) yeah, that's the problem. Because there is no clear policy, we are all assuming the worst on these forum bans banning us from games, even going so far as to wonder if reviewing games by EA poorly will get our access revoked to games. I wish EA would just clarify it already. Until then, I just wont do business with them.

2nd) well, this is actually the same as what I said for the first thing. The permissions they are asking are overly broad.

It's sad too, because I did like what EA was doing when they published Mass Effect, Dead Space and a bunch of others. Then they went shady and it's really hard to trust what they are doing....

King
A Paladin's Blog. Long form videogame reviews focusing on mechanics and narrative analyzing. Plus other stuff. www.kingisaaclinksr.com

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2012, 06:13:55 pm »
even going so far as to wonder if reviewing games by EA poorly will get our access revoked to games.
Oh, that would get hilarious in a hurry.  "Hey, let's deliberately wrong a group of people who by definition already write publicly and have an audience of our potential customers!  Now that's marketing strategy."

... the sad thing is, that's not fundamentally more stupid than some of the moves they've already made.

Offline KingIsaacLinksr

• Master Member
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2012, 09:02:44 pm »
even going so far as to wonder if reviewing games by EA poorly will get our access revoked to games.
Oh, that would get hilarious in a hurry.  "Hey, let's deliberately wrong a group of people who by definition already write publicly and have an audience of our potential customers!  Now that's marketing strategy."

... the sad thing is, that's not fundamentally more stupid than some of the moves they've already made.

Its the fact that I can believe it will happen is quite concerning...but lately, between Blizzard, Capcom EA and Activision, the major companies seem to be holding the fingers in their ears saying "lalalallalalalalala I can't heeeeeear you".

Although Capcom's latest game didn't do so well so maybe they'll remember they need to listen to the people that keep them in work...

King

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2012, 10:25:50 am »
On the plus side, the BattleTag friends list for D3 is much better than the RealID friends list which I have disabled because of friend-of-friend.  I hope this move to SC2.  Playing with friends would be nice.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2012, 10:57:55 am »
No, I won't touch D3 with a 10ft pole. Diablo, for me, has always been a single player experience. Sure, on occasion I've LANed with friends, but that was the limit of it. Forcing me into an always on fake-MMO-esque chain is just not acceptable. They could've made an offline option, but they decided against it because they want people to be exposed to the in-game auction house, where the REAL money will be made.

Piss off, ActiBlizzard.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2012, 07:46:18 pm »
I for one, after playing the beta have had more fun loading up D2 and for the first time starting over with a mod.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2012, 07:47:50 pm »
I for one, after playing the beta have had more fun loading up D2 and for the first time starting over with a mod.
Ever played Din's Curse?

Most fun I've had in an Action RPG.

Offline Diazo

• Master Member Mark II
  • I love/hate Diff 10
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2012, 09:19:17 pm »
Heh, this is my Diablo 3: Median XL Total Re-work Mod for Diablo II

Basically the same thing but the classes are totally redone and the monsters are reworked and.... really, everything except the storyline has been totally redone. (Warning on a difficulty spike though compared to vanilla D2.)

In case you have not guessed, I'm not getting Diablo 3. Always on DRM killed it for me. While I certainly play multiplayer, at heart I'm a single player gamer and I want to be able to run my own games without restrictions such as requiring internet access. Like when I'm at a friends house where I don't have access to the wireless..... (every saturday, and there is quite often times when we are gaming rather then visiting in real life.)

The real money auction house does not bother me, it is the logical extention of where we are going with online transactions and micro-payments. At least as implemented as it's not a pay-wall items are hiding behind, you could get that epic item to drop yourself, it's just not likely.

No comments on the EA thing, I don't really like them either.

D.

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2012, 11:13:16 pm »
I'm not reading the whole thread because I want to prevent spoilers, but I am going to say I absolutely love Diablo 3. I have so many alts now that I keep relogging in to reequip characters. I'm not making a quick run for the ending, just having fun making awesome characters.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk