Author Topic: Do you like Diablo 3?  (Read 112682 times)

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
Re: Do you like Diablo 3?
« Reply #360 on: September 05, 2014, 04:03:22 pm »
Nah, in POE it generally means "something isn't where it appears to be" which can be bad if you need to kill it, but since you've got a lot of leeway with AOE, all that matters is if you get close :) .

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #361 on: September 05, 2014, 04:04:09 pm »
So basically Warheads > Heisenberg? :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #362 on: September 05, 2014, 04:07:43 pm »
Wait. So is PoE online only too?

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #363 on: September 05, 2014, 04:10:04 pm »
Yea, I guess with all the nether planes in these kinds of games they have to be hosted in datacenters surrounded with the proper hexagrammatic wards, gellar fields, etc.

If it got loose on a customer's personal machine... hoo boy.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #364 on: September 05, 2014, 04:31:15 pm »
Yes, POE is online only. It is also free to play. If you do feel like spending money, your choices are almost all cosmetic. About the only non-cosmetic thing I can think of off hand is more bank space. You can buy a ton more if you want. If you want to spend any money, I recommend getting the 6-tab premium tab bundle. You can rename those tabs and change their color. That's all I've spend with them and its covered me since the game came out. With no sale that $20, but I seem to recall I got them on sale for $10. Honestly, they deserve your money for not making stupid prices that are impossible to use. $20 = 200 pts. $5 = 50 pts. Tabs vary in price: 15, 30, 40, 150 or 200. Very easy to spend all your points exactly. I hate that "$20 = 204 pts...and everything is priced using prime numbers!"

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #365 on: September 05, 2014, 04:37:56 pm »
Yea, I don't have the same philosophical objections to online-only singleplayer if it's free.  And normally I'm happy to essentially donate to a free game I really like (whether getting something in return or not).  Given the combo I'd probably not give any money, if Dota2 can give me an offline mode, so can POE ;)  Though I'm guessing what they did was basically take the D2 model and choose to avoid the divide between vault-characters and non-vault-characters, opting for just the former.

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #366 on: September 05, 2014, 04:54:28 pm »
That's what they did. And actually the POE economy is amazing. There are no coins at all. They've managed to make something extremely special there. Gotta run, but it is fascinating from a design and behavior perspective.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #367 on: September 05, 2014, 04:55:55 pm »
Cool :)  My download's at 57%, so we'll see.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #368 on: September 05, 2014, 09:12:53 pm »
"A character with this name already exists."

And this matters to me why?!

;)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #369 on: September 05, 2014, 09:21:51 pm »
Ok, I'm surprised at the breadth of names already taken, but I eventually picked one.

Next problem: is there any way to disable the lightning flashes in the first area, and similar effects?  Torchlight 2 had such an option or my wife and I wouldn't have gotten past the first zone.  The POE lightning flashes are actually way worse; my wife would get a migraine in less than a minute probably (meaning I'd have to stop the game immediately if she came in the room, which isn't so great in an online game) and honestly it's making my head hurt a bit too.

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #370 on: September 05, 2014, 09:50:24 pm »
Ok, I'm surprised at the breadth of names already taken, but I eventually picked one.

Diablo 3 does not have this problem.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #371 on: September 05, 2014, 09:51:03 pm »
"A character with this name already exists."

And this matters to me why?!

;)

Holy hell I haaaaaaaaate when that happens. I really do.

Get that crap enough on forums or similar sites.  Where if I cant use "Misery" or like, the two other names I'll use when that one is taken, I'll stare blankly at the screen for like 20 minutes before either MAYBE thinking of something, or giving up. 

A bit more determination when it comes to actual games, where it's still irritating, but I'll sooner or later resort to just smashing random syllables together in no particular order.

I love the games where having the same name just seriously doesnt matter.  As on Steam itself, as well.  Works well for something like Dota, too.  Dont wanna be Misery23096721075 on there, really...

As for the bit with the lightning.... uhhhh.... derpy answer, but have you tried just dropping all of the graphics options to their lowest points?

I should think that if doing that doesnt stop it, there probably isnt a way to do it.   Of course a direct option to stop that sort of thing would be nice, but that'd make too much sense, yes?   I dont recall seeing anything like that in there.  Though I could be wrong.

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #372 on: September 05, 2014, 11:36:48 pm »
Yeah, names issue is my biggest grip actually about POE.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #373 on: September 06, 2014, 07:04:31 am »
Yeah, names issue is my biggest grip actually about POE.

It wouldn't be so bad if the game didn't disallow using spaces. I refuse to call my char Pepi_81_ploxnoripperino or some other mess. At least it makes me think harder and come up with more original names for my chars... I guess.

Offline Hearteater

• Core Member
« Reply #374 on: September 06, 2014, 08:59:59 am »
I've taken to using a prefix for all my characters. A lot of streamers do this too. It leads to long annoying names, but you basically never see the name after creation. So if my prefix is "Heart" I'll just think up a character name and add that in front. It works fairly often.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk