Author Topic: Dawn of War 3!  (Read 8546 times)

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
Dawn of War 3!
« on: May 03, 2016, 12:22:28 pm »
Oh man, they just released the Announce Trailer and it is absolutely sick. It's extremely dark and irreverent.

I grew up around the kind of people that thought Harry Potter, LOTR, and Diablo 2 was evil, and I feel like watching this video would make them curl up into a fetal position and cry.

It's the kind of thing which, if they caught their kids playing, they'd take the CD, box, poster, and all other materials and burn them in effigy while rambling on about end times.

I hope the gameplay can live up to the visceral and poetic theme they've created. I was very pleased with DoW2.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
Re: Dawn of War 3!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 02:59:59 pm »
So happy, yet so scared at the same time...

This one will require careful watching to see if, much less when, it is worth getting.

Offline tombik

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 03:06:54 pm »
They kinda lost me when I learned it is only 3 races, but won me back when they said it is more similar to Dow1 than dow2.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 03:10:01 pm »
So it will have base building again?

Offline tombik

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 03:28:42 pm »

Yes from what I read so far.

And also Dotalike hero picks and counter picks etc. They are again trying something new in a sense.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 03:32:18 pm »
Sign me up then. i missed base building in DoW2. Not that it was a bad game but I didn't quite like this tactical roleplay concept they used there.

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 03:37:29 pm »

And also Dotalike hero picks and counter picks etc. They are again trying something new in a sense.
Where are you reading all this information? Hook us up!

Honestly I'd rather have 3 unique and balanced factions, with the possibility of more in future expansions than just having races for races sake.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the second game, but in multiplayer there were some real balance issues. I'd be content with 3 if it meant they were sensible and fair.
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline tombik

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 03:55:09 pm »

Where are you reading all this information? Hook us up!

Honestly I'd rather have 3 unique and balanced factions, with the possibility of more in future expansions than just having races for races sake.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the second game, but in multiplayer there were some real balance issues. I'd be content with 3 if it meant they were sensible and fair.

Here:

http://www.pcgamer.com/dawn-of-war-3-inside-relics-biggest-rts-yet/

Right now, there is a mod for DOW1 that increases to race count to 21, all vanilla quality races, with different gameplays. I guess I am too spoiled to be okay with only 3 races.

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 04:37:40 pm »
Are you talking about Ultimate Apocalypse, tombik?

Offline tombik

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 04:59:21 pm »
Are you talking about Ultimate Apocalypse, tombik?

No, actually I am talking about a collection of mods.

Ultimate Apocalypse is also nice, but not for me, since they try to modify the game, every original race as well, as well as the scale of the game. But DOW1 engine can only support so much, so it results in unintelligible chaos mostly (not that chaos).I also dont like how they change the default camera to allow a higher field of vision. I like my vanilla races as they are. And also, UA does not include every race I am about to mention.

Here is what I am aware of, all good quality mods, all better than official Dark Eldar for example:

Steel Legion
Adeptus Mechanicus
Tyranids
Chaos Daemons
Salamanders
Dark Angels
Harlequins
Black Templars
Thousand Sons
World Eaters

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?277691-Hub-All-Standalone-factions

This link includes some more, but some of it are still in the beta.

There is also an ongoing project in revora forums that aims to combine all these races, (there is a common developer for all of the above and he personally oversees this) and increase the race count up to 60 at the end. All the voice overs are ready, most build trees are ready, they are just in need of 3d artists and animators.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 05:01:09 pm by tombik »

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 05:46:34 pm »
Right now, there is a mod for DOW1 that increases to race count to 21, all vanilla quality races, with different gameplays. I guess I am too spoiled to be okay with only 3 races.
Well, when you say 'vanilla quality races', that's what I'm afraid of. The vanilla races weren't balanced that well. Sure, they had some cool ideas, unit designs, and gameplay mechanics, but that doesn't mean that they had any semblance of balance in a competitive multiplayer setting.

Heck, just look at the 3 Starcraft (original or sequel) races. We're going on 20+ years that those have been in development and they'll still probably continue to be balanced for many decades to come. I'm overwhelmingly skeptical of the idea that 20 (or even 60) races could be balanced in any meaningful way.

That PC Gamer article was amazing. I'm really liking the Alpha screenshots. So far from what I've read they're not doing anything revolutionary with the game, just changing some of the core concepts and design decisions to make it more large-scale and accessible to a modern RTS audience. As I said, what I'd really like to see is diversity and uniqueness in the original 3 races, after that they can go ham.

Offline tombik

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 07:02:44 pm »
Well, when you say 'vanilla quality races', that's what I'm afraid of. The vanilla races weren't balanced that well. Sure, they had some cool ideas, unit designs, and gameplay mechanics, but that doesn't mean that they had any semblance of balance in a competitive multiplayer setting.

I agree, it is really hard to balance, but in presenting w40k, balance is not what I am trying to find :) And it worked in DOW1 as well, if you really are good with the game you would pick a weak race, if you are pretty new, you would go Necrons etc.

The thing I emphasized by "vanilla quality" was that, they are full with original assets, sounds, mechanics etc. I have not played them enough to comment on their balance.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2016, 09:42:52 pm »
Am I the only one who plays these games for the campaign story only? ;p So far I also hope they figure some new gameplay for skirmish vs AI out....

less hero focus is good news as well..

And that trailer was really nice.. make a movie styled like that, in that mood and you'd have me sold. .. btw.. why are there no decent Wh40k movies?
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 06:29:36 pm »
Its funny how alot of people comment on the trailer that they hope it is like DoW 1 and not 2. I guess many had the same problem as me with the game.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 06:31:34 pm »
Am I the only one who plays these games for the campaign story only? ;p So far I also hope they figure some new gameplay for skirmish vs AI out....

less hero focus is good news as well..

And that trailer was really nice.. make a movie styled like that, in that mood and you'd have me sold. .. btw.. why are there no decent Wh40k movies?
I play as well only for campaign mode. I'm not really into testing my capabilities with other players in RTS games. TBS no problem because I can take my time in thinking and planning my strategies but in RTS these days people except you to click fast. That's the main reason why I was tunred of by Starcraft 2 because the game was practically engineered towards those people.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk