Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon has been released today  (Read 23742 times)

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
Darkest Dungeon has been released today
« on: January 19, 2016, 11:03:34 pm »
Darkest Dungeon, one of the few true rogue-likes out there, has been released this day.
The has been long in development and early access but showed already there a promising gameplay experience.
The story, so far it goes, is about your ancestor, who lived in his manor above a hamlet that he owned, was bored with his luxury life, so he started to research about dark cults and come across the fact that directly under his house is the portal to another dimension that promises unimaginable powers. Interested in this, he starts an expidition, spending all of his fortune only to find out that the portal leads to a nightmarish world with cruel monsters that start to invade the manor and surroundings.
He flees, writes a letter to seek your help and kills himself afterwards (the coward he is). Your goal is now to fix what your ancestor has ruined. Breach into the ruins of the manor, find the so called "Darkest Dungeon" where the portal resides and close it.

Because you are the same coward as your ancestor, you don't do this yourself, you hire some mercenary heroes and tell them that treasures await them in the dungeon. But seeing the madness that awaits them, only the most desperate characters follow your call, barely heroes themselves. But you use what you can get.
Always with a party of four heroes you travel in the ruins or the surroundings of the manor and search for treasures, ints and monsters in order to defeat the abnormal threats. Unlike most rogue-likes, it features a sideview and a rather straightforward exploratiom. You always know the entire map of the dungeon, you select adjacent rooms that you want to travel to, your party moves across a corridor and will eventually encounter monsters, traps or different interactive items, called "curio". everything can have a positive or negative impact on your heroes. Ypur heroes themself are stressed about the dreadful environment and might become insane, which sresses the other heroes even more, creating a chain reaction. Insane heroes start also to act unreliable on their own, beating themself or other heroes, speaking words of madness or just refuse to act at all. To counter this you can light torches, so they can see better what awaits them, however this is not a 100% protection against stress.
Heroes recover from stress at the hamlet, they can gamble, drink or pray in order to forget what they have recently encountered. only to face it again in the next run.
Your ultimate goal is it to defeat defeat the 8 bosses of the game in order to get access to the darkest dungeon and each boss has to be defeated three times, getting stronger in each fight.
The game features turn-based combat and your party can use 4 different skills that they might switch out at any time outside of battle with other skills they have. Position in battle is important, there are four rows on each side (yours and enemies) and some attacks work only in spefic rows and against specific rows. A melee fighter has to stand in front of the other heroes and can target only monsters that are in their front row. The interaction of skills from different heroes is important as well as the balance of stress and health. But even if your heroes reach 0 life points, they won't die, instead they reach "deaths door", a status that makes them vulnerable for every incoming attack (meaning NOW they can die from it) and also gives them some nasty debuffs. A hero that stands on deaths door should leave the dungeon as soon as possible. Heroes that die, stay dead. No resurection, no "phoenix downs", not even the ability to reload a save file. The game remembers every action at the moment it happens, meaning everything is ultimate. The full true rogue-like experience. All you can do is hire a new hero that replaces the old hero. Maybe. Probably not. He was something special. They always are.

If you liek rogue-likes with dark artmosphere, check it out.

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
Re: Darkest Dungeon has been released today
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 11:17:03 pm »
I couldn't handle the grind. Maybe they fixed it?
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 11:54:20 pm »
I don't understand what you mean with grind. If you mean hero leveling, this is not that much of a big deal in a game where your heroes are dying constantly (obviously).

If you mean money/gold, I have the feelign I get more gold as I got some patches before. Mostly because you sell unused items (torches, bandeges, antivenom) after a completed dungeon back to the merchant (to a lower price but still), so you loose less money when you've invested in more items than you needed. I also have the feeling that they scaled the loot upwards, so you get more per fight/curio. I have already above 10k gold after the first two runs. After I spent all my money on stuff.You can also sell trinkets that you get with every succesful run and most trinkets give a good amount of money.

If you mean heirloom items: Yes, that part is a little grindy, if you want to level up your buildings really fast. You will get enough in the first few runs to upgrade the most basic buildings but the longer the game goes, the more you will struggle to get enough heirlooms, requiring multiple runs for one building (also limited by the fact that your inventory has a limited amount of space). Since heroes come and go but buildings stay forever and can be used forever, also because they are importantfor the long survivability of your more precious heroes, this is understandable (also, the game is meant to be hard and the key is to manag your scarce resources where you need them, not where you can use them).

I wish however the inventory was bigger. With bandages, holy water, torches, food, antivenom and medical herbs you run out rather fast out of slots and said slots will be filled quickly with gems and heirlooms. An upgradable inevntory 8bigger backpakcs or something like that) would be nice but they never thought of anything like that. When i find a trinket I always put it on a hero even if it does not benefit him just to make up another slot in the inventory.

besides that I don't find the game very grindy. For newcomers you will strugle with gold on your first playthrough and eventually decide to quit and start a new one but after some time you will know how to manage your resources.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 02:36:09 am by TheVampire100 »

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 01:03:41 am »
I can't really read what you write because it hurts my eyes. But what I mean is to level characters, the various gold sinks with the mental afflictions that also shorten dungeon runs, it's not fun. I spend more time playing psychiatrist than I do having fun.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 02:40:08 am »
Maybe you should consult a doctor then.

Leveling is not really important in the game like I said above. I find that characters even level too fast because high level characters refuse to do low level dungeons. If you have problems with stress, get a jester that has Inspiring Tune. He gives you a 10% stress resist debuff with each cast. the effect stacks and lasts 3 rounds (so up to 30% resist). The skill also reduces stress by 10. if you still have problems with managing stress then this game is clearly not for you.

Darkest Dungeon is mostly a resource management game. Heroes count as resource.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 05:22:30 am »
Btw, I suggest this guide for Darkes Dungeon: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?l=german&id=386706480
When you know how to cleanse a curio, you get more rewards in a run. More rewards=faster progress=less grind.
I hope this helped you.

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 01:36:15 pm »
Somewhere along the line they added a slight free stress reduction for every hero that stays in town, works nice if you cycle through your heroes and only use the stress buildings for the ones that really need it.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 04:44:51 pm »
Yes, I totally forgot this. I really lie this new feature because you can save money this way.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 05:16:15 pm »
I like this game but I really have to be in the mood for this game by the way how much is the stress reduction exactly? If they it to high it might make the bar and chapel not really worth using any more?.
c.r

Offline Wingflier

• Core Member Mark II
  • To add me on Steam, click the little Steam icon ^
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 06:14:17 pm »
I find it ironic that the developers have spent so much time and emphasis on the stress levels of the party, while ignoring the stress levels of the player :D

Bad joke, Inb4 Keith post :P
"Inner peace is the void of expectation. It is the absence of our shared desperation to feel a certain way."

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 06:18:06 pm »
I like this game but I really have to be in the mood for this game by the way how much is the stress reduction exactly? If they it to high it might make the bar and chapel not really worth using any more?.
Not much, never over 10 percent as far as I can say. Tavern and chapel are still the best stress reductions when you are over 50%
But it's good enough when you have only one bar of stress.

The game was meant to be hard and stressing for the player himself. However, soem reviewers think they went a little over the top with some of the stuff.

Offline marvindeshong

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 11:08:15 am »
I haven't yet got this game but am quite excited for it. The reviews seem to suggest that it is going a bit over the top. Will be finding it out soon.

Offline Xeonix

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 03:13:35 pm »
I've enjoyed beta before they made corpses.I I do feel like they are not needed cause they are making  fights way too longer.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 07:42:38 pm »
Theres an option where you can disable corpses.

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 09:42:51 pm »
This game is not just hard, it's punishing and unfair. It has really nice atmosphere and graphics, so if you are planning to get 5 hours of enjoyment out of it you cannot go wrong.
However as you progress in game you are going to be hindered by artificially added grind.
Saying that grind does not matter because your heroes are meant to die, is simply wrong. To get to the higher-end content of the game you need higher level heroes. At the same time, higher level heroes refuses to do lower level dungeons to get that much more of so needed xp. In many cases you do not know what waits you in a dungeon, and you get most of your painstakingly leveled party wiped by a stray bad RNG. And when this happened you basically need to start from scratch. One might say, but surely you have *another* party, don't you. Well, it can be wiped as easily, and obviously, successfully leveling several parties multiplies the time required.

Everywhere, everywhere in the game the time sinks feels tacked on and artificial.

I have not been there for early access, but from what people post it looks like it used to be a better game in the beginning, and then it was changed under pressure by vocal minority to the subpar game it has become. The worst thing, that you do not actually notice the worst, until you played long enough and learned different game mechanics. And then you realize how much time you wasted. It stops being fun in a few hours.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 09:47:18 pm by zespri »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk