Author Topic: Steam Wintersale  (Read 8682 times)

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
Re: Steam Wintersale
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2016, 03:23:03 am »
I have both games alreay. Kingdom Rush is a good enough game to have for Tower Defense fans. Sadly most newer TD games do, what lazy developers always do: They simply copy the mechanics of it instead of thinking about something own. Kongdom Rush kind of corrupted the genre.

Pixel Piracy however... is a mess. I won't go much into detail why unless people are interested about it, but I excepted it to be like "Terraria with pirates" but what I got was a very generic game experience with no variation whatsoever. It is in that regard very much like No Man's Sky but I assume a lot worse. Plus terrible controls.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2016, 03:46:48 am »
Yeah both games are not exactly high points in my library ;P Pixel Piracy ranks top in greatest disappointment ever for me, great idea, HORRIBLE execution
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2016, 04:57:41 am »
I'll just jump in and agree about Pixel Piracy's terribleness.   They had such a great concept there but it's like they were afraid of adding anything resembling complexity to it.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2016, 07:38:20 am »
So I guess on the last day I decided to grab some things from Steam after all...

Strike Squadron: CaracarĂ¡
Zenge
20XX

Gotta admit, 20XX only because of Misery review..   ^^ The other 2 because.. why not ;P Both sound curious enough.

of those 22 indy games I bought in bundles, I actually *completed* "Hero of the Kingdom" which is an interesting game idea, a sort of, point and click hero story. Basically a hog, but not really? Weird game, but finished it in 3 hours flat (well, only paid like 10€ for 22 games, so I guess that's a fair trade ,p) nice simple relaxing story

Aside that i also fuddled around with Deep Dungeons of Doom, I had no idea of it's mobile origins, and unaware of this i have to say I quite enjoyed the thrill of having my items always in danger of getting lost in a dungeon with my chars corpse... takes some skill, random loot, and enemies require you to memorize their "rhythm" which is easy enough to do, with keyboard the game plays really nice... but I am already bored of it I guess.

Still offering Pixel Piracy and Kingdom rush steam key, first to pm (me) gets em keys gone ^^ ^^
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 12:06:46 pm by eRe4s3r »
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2016, 09:57:49 pm »
And the Steam Awards end...

...and the results were just as bloody stupid/obvious as I thought they'd be.

Ugh.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2016, 10:56:46 pm »
I aw the results just now, how aweful. Just reminds me again how stupid people are. really, Goat Simulator? It's literally "Joke Games - The Game". I would have excepted Stardewvalley or even ARK but THIS?!

The rest is aweful as well. Why does anyone even rate for Euro Track simulator? I call shit on that. I sthink there is soemthing odd about it.

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2016, 11:28:18 pm »
Well, for "Best Use of a Farm Animal", Goat Simulator is a pretty good choice.  Even though the entire thing is basically a tool for a small number of people to make funny Youtube videos of to entertain others.
And Dark Souls won the Love/Hate category - fitting, in multiple ways.

But yeah... Euro Truck Simulator won two categories?  CS:GO wins "Just 5 more minutes" over Civilization, the franchise that the phrase "Just one more turn" was invented to describe?
Skyrim (5 years old) wins the "Test of Time" over Team Fortress 2 (10 years old), which averages three times as many players as Skyrim at any given time?  Even AoE2 (age 17) is a better choice.
GTA V won the 'mind-blowing' and "Game within a Game" categories?  WTF?

I suspect 4chan had something to do with this.  This type of trolling seems right up their alley.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2016, 11:38:37 pm »
Well, for "Best Use of a Farm Animal", Goat Simulator is a pretty good choice.  Even though the entire thing is basically a tool for a small number of people to make funny Youtube videos of to entertain others.

At least it wasn't ARK.  And honestly Farming Simulator and Stardew Valley do what with their farm animals? Exactly what you'd expect: you farm them.

And yeah, I was pretty disappointed in almost all of them.  The entire category of "Whoa Dude!" was full of garbage.

GTA V's win of "Game within a Game" is the only one I can really point to and say, "No, I vehemently disagree."  The rest are just disappointments, not because the game didn't deserve it over another that was nominated, but because all the nominations were hardly noteworthy.

(For the record, the reason I didn't vote TF2 for "Test of Time" was because Valve ruined it with the hats).

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2016, 11:43:16 pm »
I dunno, I do agree with the Goat Simulator one... I suspect I'm about the only one here that really genuinely likes that game.  Hell, I've got like 70 hours in it.  No, I'm not making that up.   70 hours in Goat Simulator.  What can I say?  The game is designed as something that you just mess around with for fun... I've always found it to be a great way to just unwind and get some hilarity out of.  And there's a bizzarely high amount of things to do in it (when you go into it expecting next to no content, yet instead it's absolutely stuffed with it). One of those games that I think really gets a bad rap, partly due to YouTube.  YouTube has that effect on things, really.  I hate it sometimes.   .....okay, I hate it all the time.  Damn glitchy place, that.

As for the awards though, I think what bugged me the most was them pitting freaking Terraria against the likes of Civ and CS:GO.  It's like... really?  What moron thought THAT was a fair contest?  I mean, just freaking Civ alone would make that not even a contest.  It just didn't make sense. 

A lot of the available choices for these awards were just... meh.  Like, oh gee, it's the obvious big games again like GTA and stuff.  ....yay?  How exciting that is... 

I just didn't bother voting for the most part.  Seemed too dumb to bother, really.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2017, 12:13:14 am »
I do it mostly for the cards. If I get a set, awesome, otherwise I sell them.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2017, 12:39:25 am »
I cannot believe that Tabletop Simualtor didn't win the "Game within a game" award. Are you shitting me? The entire game is designed around this princible! But GTAV has of course a bigger audience than Tabletop simulator which is more of a niche thing (a simulator to play board and card games with friends). I still htink THIS game should have gotten this award. What's the game within GTAV anyway?

At least it wasn't ARK.  And honestly Farming Simulator and Stardew Valley do what with their farm animals? Exactly what you'd expect: you farm them.

I guess you say this because of the news that they will add a sheep if they win? Of course this quickly changed to "We add it anyway, even if we loose" but the fact stands that they said first "If we win, we make sure it will be in the next update". Sounds very fishy.

About Euro Truck Simulator: I suspect Fake accounts ont hat one. either, like Toranth said, trolls on 4chan that had nothing better to do as to vote a mediocore game for a very small niche group of players. There are people who truly enjoy these games but it's a fact that these groups are still rather small. And I doubt that their voting would outweight the other participants.

The other possibility could of course be that the developers or the publisher themselves created bots/fake accounts in order to promote their own game. It happens saddly often.
"Look, we got a shiny award for a category no one heard anyway before, but it's an award, so this means the game is good. Buy it pls."

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2017, 01:11:44 am »
You might be surprised at how big the community for Euro Truck has gotten... it's a pretty well-known game at this point.  Hell, MOST people on my friends list (and there's a lot of them, because.... I don't know why) have that game.  Even I have it.  The game really does serve it's purpose pretty darn well.  I'm not too surprised that it won something, really.  Particularly since, unlike other categories, it wasn't up against any AAA games.

....Seriously, indies VS AAA is bloody stupid.

Also I'll echo the question of "What the heck is the game in GTA"?  I've never heard of such a thing.

Offline Toranth

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2017, 07:38:45 am »
Also I'll echo the question of "What the heck is the game in GTA"?  I've never heard of such a thing.
I had to ask, too, but it seems like you can play a golf minigame in GTA V.

Whee.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2017, 11:00:06 am »
the whole idea of steam having an awards thing seems pointless to me especially one determined by random people on the internet
gta5 probably won because its a big shiny open world
now if you want a good arbitrary award show you should probably watch the one from total biscuits channel.
c.r

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk