Author Topic: Completed: Trails in the sky and pillars of eternity  (Read 7033 times)

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
Re: Completed: Trails in the sky and pillars of eternity
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2016, 08:36:09 pm »
Honestly, I think these expansions damage the base game, not enhance it. Especially because the writing quality took a noticeable dive and the focus is more on combat and less on RPG. And much worse, you are forced into the Expansion content now if you want to have max level at end-boss (and thus fair chances, since end boss is 3 enemies, and you can't hit anything there if you are not within a 2 level range)

That's not true. I didn't do the expansion content and was above level for the end boss. Maybe you didn't complete the optional quests. Honestly, if you do the labyrinth and succeed, there's no reason you can't win the game quite easily.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2016, 09:58:19 pm »

I bought it without realizing that. I wish I could get my money back on the expansion.

Maybe you will like it regardless? Who knows.. not everyone is the same after all.
Is there a way to turn it off in the game once you bought it, if you think it makes the game a worse game? You won't get your money back this way, but at least you will be more satisfied by the game itself...

Well as Backer I got expansions for free ;9

But that said, you can not disable the leveling in the expansion content (of the enemies) meaning you HAVE to play the campaign through up to level 5-9 if you want a fair challenge. Beyond that (specifically at level 18/19/20) the enemies in the expansion are absolutely insane.

But because they skewed level up progress you now end up far lower level than you should if you do NOT play the expansions. Really befuddling that, and an issue they ignored (despite it being raised countless times in beta) the end fight is fixed level, and you need to be close to 20 to beat it. Since every level changes hit chances vs enemies (they depend on level difference)

Honestly, I think these expansions damage the base game, not enhance it. Especially because the writing quality took a noticeable dive and the focus is more on combat and less on RPG. And much worse, you are forced into the Expansion content now if you want to have max level at end-boss (and thus fair chances, since end boss is 3 enemies, and you can't hit anything there if you are not within a 2 level range)
that really sucks will the game be in its healthy state if I just don't get the dlc with it? I've been thinking of buying this game when I'm in the mood?.
Don't. Really. Play Icewind Dale Heart of Winter if you want to play a good RPG in that style.

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 07:03:47 am »
That's not true. I didn't do the expansion content and was above level for the end boss. Maybe you didn't complete the optional quests. Honestly, if you do the labyrinth and succeed, there's no reason you can't win the game quite easily.

Did you, or did you not have the expansion installed when playing?

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 02:50:06 pm »

I didn't do all optional quests that is true but no way were you level 20 at end boss with expansion activated but not playing it, unless you literally did ALL the side quests, killed the OP dragon instead of siding with it, did all the trials in a certain order, and cleared the entire labyrinth (I would never do any of that a 2nd time) ;)

You have to play a VERY specific way you get max level before end boss with expansion active but not playing it. Which is imo horrible game design.

And btw, on higher difficulty there is no way you found the end boss easy in recent patch. Unless you cheesed with a custom (less gimped than companions are) party and focused every level up and item on improving hit-chances and resistances for boss specific stuff... If you actually roleplay the companions the end boss is a nightmare, especially at level 17~ since hit chance on main boss is 30% ... for spells. Which is the only way you can even beat the boss, by stunning him and killing the statues in time before he goes to phase 2. Which is awesomely fun annoying if your 2 uses of that spell you get at those levels miss. It's literally a boss run-killer, failing the RNG to stun the boss with spell that is.

Either way, I played with expansion active and installed and had level 17 on my 2nd playthrough when reaching the end-boss. Which is where I went to the expansion as level 17 is severely underleveled for that, and encountered the most insane combat slog ever experienced, and 2 of the most worthless companions ever invented to boot. With level 17 I also found Labyrinth lowest floor EXTREMELY difficult.

TL;DR
I would rather replay IWD2 and BG2 + TOB than ever replaying PoE a third time for expansion 2 ;P
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk