Author Topic: Apparently the PS3 got hacked yet again.  (Read 3773 times)

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
Apparently the PS3 got hacked yet again.
« on: October 26, 2012, 04:47:31 pm »
I wouldn't call it surprising, but its still at least somewhat out of nowhere. Any thoughts about it?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-the-final-hack
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20121025/12413220829/final-sony-ps3-hack.shtml

Offline LaughingThesaurus

• Master Member Mark II
Re: Apparently the PS3 got hacked yet again.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 05:11:45 pm »
Console hacks to play illegitimate copies of games? Those are around like all the time, aren't they? I half expected to read about another massive PSN hack or something to release everybody's financial information. If that happened, I'd be saying "Good thing I didn't actually buy that game on PSN that I was tempted to get." right now.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 05:43:46 pm »
The more notable part is that due to the leak of certain decryption keys there's potentially no way for Sony to really "patch" that hole.  All the previous hacks they've neutralized for folks on firmware 3.60 or later, but now the game may be over.

Doesn't really impact me, but it is interesting from the perspective of security-systems and public-relations-systems.  I think the bigger failure was actually in the latter category.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline TechSY730

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 05:48:29 pm »
The more notable part is that due to the leak of certain decryption keys there's potentially no way for Sony to really "patch" that hole.  All the previous hacks they've neutralized for folks on firmware 3.60 or later, but now the game may be over.

Doesn't really impact me, but it is interesting from the perspective of security-systems and public-relations-systems.  I think the bigger failure was actually in the latter category.

Haven't read the articles, but does that mean there is a private key leak?

Yea, you can't really fix that without breaking all the games already published...

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 05:56:05 pm »
Console hacks to play illegitimate copies of games? Those are around like all the time, aren't they?
Yes, but usually the console can't do other things like run linux without mods or more hacks, and this could. Now it can't like anything else console-based and sony is punched themselves in the pr while making it so instead of just quietly patching the hacks.

@Tech: LV0 key leak to prevent a seperate chinese group from profiteering on their (as in the original ps3 hackers) hacking work.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 05:57:54 pm by Aklyon »

Offline Echo35

• Master Member Mark II
  • More turrets! MORE TURRETS!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 12:29:42 am »
Every time I see something like this happen with a console, and all the people that did it go "We just want to run Linux and stuff like that" I go, "Then buy a computer." Seems like way more trouble than its worth if you're doing it for anything other than piracy.

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 10:30:16 pm »
Computers are expensive. (Netbooks don't count, they have bugger all for space to save things in and tiny irritating keyboards). A PS3 is ~$250.

Though I suppose a rooted tablet would be better worth it eventually for that sort of thing, and involve less cables.

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 03:05:09 pm »
Every time I see something like this happen with a console, and all the people that did it go "We just want to run Linux and stuff like that" I go, "Then buy a computer." Seems like way more trouble than its worth if you're doing it for anything other than piracy.
It's fascinating to break things that were designed to last. It's a challenge, and as with any challenge, you get a warm fuzzy feeling when you overcome it. This is the reason that drives the people who make these hacks possible.

PS. I just realized you are talking about those who *use* hacks as opposed to those who *makes* them. Well why would I want to buy a computer, if I already own hardware that can run linux? It just does not make sense.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 03:18:42 pm »

PS. I just realized you are talking about those who *use* hacks as opposed to those who *makes* them. Well why would I want to buy a computer, if I already own hardware that can run linux? It just does not make sense.

Probably because it is maybe cheaper and certainly easier and avoids the murky waters of hacking. I would imagine hardware wise PS3 components don't get as much attention as more common computer components (if that makes a difference).
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 03:28:55 am »
Probably because it is maybe cheaper and certainly easier and avoids the murky waters of hacking. I would imagine hardware wise PS3 components don't get as much attention as more common computer components (if that makes a difference).
How ps3+computer can be cheaper than just ps3?

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 09:01:29 am »
Well now Sony has motivation to really get into gear on their next gen console :D

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 10:30:14 am »
How ps3+computer can be cheaper than just ps3?

I was saying in general more efficient as a whole to just get a computer instead of the ps3.
Life is short. Have fun.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk