Author Topic: And so...the Steam sale begins.  (Read 24933 times)

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
Re: And so...the Steam sale begins.
« Reply #225 on: July 27, 2012, 02:05:55 pm »
As far as I've heard, you can pretty much skip ALL of the X games aside from Terran Conflict. Possibly Albion Prelude.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline zespri

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #226 on: July 29, 2012, 03:23:14 pm »
King's  Bounty is  on sale now. If you like turn based combat this is a very enjoyable implementation.

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #227 on: July 29, 2012, 09:37:41 pm »
Yep, that was one of the games I was hoping to pick up during the summer sale.

Also, the title of this topic probably ought to be edited to "And so...the Steam sale ends." ;)

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III
« Reply #228 on: July 29, 2012, 10:43:47 pm »
King's  Bounty is  on sale now. If you like turn based combat this is a very enjoyable implementation.

Seconded. It's a fun journey, although I recommend getting a sheet on which monsters are susceptible to what. It always bothered me that wasn't in game.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #229 on: July 30, 2012, 12:18:18 am »
I got a capital ship in x3 ap.

Pew pew pew pew!

[because lasers are so loud to begin with. Doubly so in space]
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline BobTheJanitor

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #230 on: July 30, 2012, 01:48:48 am »

King's Bounty: AP is also in an indie bundle at the moment: http://www.indiegala.com/

Although it will probably run a bit more than 5 dollars (7 at the moment, but it fluctuates) but it also gets you a bunch of other steam games. However, I don't know much about the rest of those games, and indiegala tends to rather scrape the bottom of the barrel when it comes to its game selection.

Offline zebramatt

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #231 on: July 31, 2012, 10:44:59 am »
I just picked up Flotilla for a couple of quid on Steam. I'm yet to play it but it looks pretty interesting to me.

Its biggest detractors appear to be folks who resent the lack of any way to save your progress. It's a little bit old school / a little bit roguelike in that regard, it would appear - the developer specifically wanting people to play through each game all in one sitting and see how far they get. (You can win though, so it's not actually that like Rogue at all.) Apparently a long game might last you two hours, so it doesn't seem like that big a deal to me.

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #232 on: July 31, 2012, 10:50:01 am »
Has anybody played Wanderlust: Rebirth?

Its still on its joining steam discount and seemed like the sort of game I like.

Offline Mick

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #233 on: July 31, 2012, 12:17:35 pm »
Has anybody played Wanderlust: Rebirth?

Its still on its joining steam discount and seemed like the sort of game I like.

I thought it looked interesting, but it's been getting mixed reviews.

My worry is that it won't play well in single player.

Offline madcow

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #234 on: July 31, 2012, 12:36:06 pm »
I noticed the mixed reviews, and I share the concern about single player as well.

Edit: Don't want to double post but it looks like all the bundles are back, including AVWW's bundle. Strange enough there's no individual discount on the games in the bundle.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 01:13:36 pm by madcow »

Offline Coppermantis

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Avenger? I hardly know 'er!
« Reply #235 on: July 31, 2012, 03:11:58 pm »
I just picked up Flotilla for a couple of quid on Steam. I'm yet to play it but it looks pretty interesting to me.

Its biggest detractors appear to be folks who resent the lack of any way to save your progress. It's a little bit old school / a little bit roguelike in that regard, it would appear - the developer specifically wanting people to play through each game all in one sitting and see how far they get. (You can win though, so it's not actually that like Rogue at all.) Apparently a long game might last you two hours, so it doesn't seem like that big a deal to me.

That's my issue with the game too, the Skirmishes are fun but suddenly having my campaign end when I'm doing well is annoying. I wish there were a way to have an extended or unlimited campaign without enabling Hardcore.
I can already tell this is going to be a roller coaster ride of disappointment.

Offline BobTheJanitor

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #236 on: July 31, 2012, 07:11:54 pm »
Since Flotilla ends pretty quick anyway, I don't get too miffed at the lack of a save. The whole point is to restart the game constantly and see what new weird things you can run in to. On the other hand, I would enjoy a longer or an endless mode.

In case you're running into the problems everyone seems to have with it feeling unplayable and way too difficult, remember to explore the options for setting your ship's rotation and facing. If you just tell them to move to a point, they will probably end up with their weak spot pointing towards the enemy, and die. You have to make them rotate around their various axes in order to face your strong areas towards where you think the enemy will end up.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #237 on: August 17, 2012, 02:41:26 am »
I didn't like Metro. Not sure why, but the combat was incredibly clunky, the story unengaging and it felt more like a horror game than a "sci-fi horror" game.
I'm going to have to back totally on this. I went back to Metro just to give it another whirl, played it on Ranger Hardcore (I originally played it before this feature was in) and HOLY CRAP IMMERSION! That game is actually really, really good. Recommendations all around! Actually finished it this time around :P
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk