Author Topic: Will there be blood/gore?  (Read 6169 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Will there be blood/gore?
« on: March 08, 2016, 10:16:21 pm »
This is Arcen.  Of course not.

Will there be dismemberment, though?  Oh, you bet -- I'm certainly hoping to make that happen within my scope, anyhow. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
Re: Will there be blood/gore?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 10:37:45 pm »
you know it hadn't even occurred to me that there isn't any blood/gore in your games but that's probably because your games for the most part don't lend them self's to that but I'm glad to see your not wasting resources on that granted in some particular games blood and gore can make the gameplay feel better but in this case It would be rather pointless.

edit god what I word to miss out hope nobody got the wrong idea from that.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 12:00:07 pm by crazyroosterman »
c.r

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 11:30:05 pm »
Arcen's games always involve robots/ships/exploding things anyway.   Gore wouldnt fit here, is my opinion.   But gears and circuit boards bouncing violently off of walls sure would!  That's also way more entertaining anyway.  I'm not a fan of gore in games really.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 01:31:09 am »
We've had people in a number of games with violence: the Valley games, Skyward Collapse... uh... I guess that's it.  But we could have had gibs flying and blood smears if we wanted to, really.  A lot of similar games to Valley do that.  But I really don't care for it much.  I don't actively avoid games like that by any stretch, but it does not improve their esteem in my eyes.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 12:03:25 pm »
We've had people in a number of games with violence: the Valley games, Skyward Collapse... uh... I guess that's it.  But we could have had gibs flying and blood smears if we wanted to, really.  A lot of similar games to Valley do that.  But I really don't care for it much.  I don't actively avoid games like that by any stretch, but it does not improve their esteem in my eyes.
yea but really nobody's actually cared about that with your games in the past again I'm glad your not wasting resources on blood/gore it wouldn't even have occurred to me if I hadn't seen this post.
ps I hope you didn't get the wrong impression from my last reply I somehow managed to miss out an important word there.
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 02:35:07 pm »
No worries here!

Offline Histidine

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 03:44:14 am »
The one time I've wanted a game with no blood to have it was Freedom Fighters (the 2003 third-person shooter), where it was hard to tell if your bullets were actually hitting.

Though depending on how this new game works, Monty Python Black Knight bleeding and dismemberment for the player dinosaur might be funny, heh.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 05:28:13 am »
Monty Python Black Knight bleeding and dismemberment

Leper Quake.

Missing an arm? Can't dual-weild.
Missing a leg? Can't walk, only super jump.
Etc.

Also you could pick up lost limbs and use them as melee weapons.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 06:00:30 am »
I was pretty content with how the Lord of the Rings movies did it. You would see the occasional limb be chopped off and for dramatic effect see the occasional head as well, but very rarely was there blood (if at all, might have just been dirt).

On the other hand some games do need it. Doom just wouldn't be the same without it.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 11:37:01 am »
Monty Python Black Knight bleeding and dismemberment

Leper Quake.

Missing an arm? Can't dual-weild.
Missing a leg? Can't walk, only super jump.
Etc.
Also you could pick up lost limbs and use them as melee weapons.
what about if you lose both arms? shouldn't you be only able to head but things as an attack then?.
edit how the hell does that bug keep happening? it drives me nuts
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 02:46:52 pm by crazyroosterman »
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2016, 01:40:08 pm »
Yes, I was a fan of how the LOTR movies did it, for sure.  That was about the perfect balance.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2016, 06:06:29 pm »
what about if you lose both arms? shouldn't you be only able to head but things as an attack then?.

I think so, I don't remember.

Ah, you bite people.

http://www.quakewiki.net/archives/leper/about.htm

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2016, 07:40:47 pm »

I think so, I don't remember.

Ah, you bite people.

http://www.quakewiki.net/archives/leper/about.htm
true true don't know why the thought never occurred to me.
c.r

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 08:22:21 am »
This is Arcen.  Of course not.

Will there be dismemberment, though?  Oh, you bet -- I'm certainly hoping to make that happen within my scope, anyhow. :)
Waaaaaiiiiit. What about Shattered Haven? didn't this game had some slight blood moments/gore moments?

How will the Dismemberment tun out? A Dead Space similiar game (which was also not very bloody because everyone was turned into a sspace zombie mutant thing)? I really liked the concept of the DS Series that every body part had it's own HP and could be shot off and that enemies, while still having an overall HP count that could kill them if going down to 0, could be also killed with just cutting of speciic weak points limbs.
I really would appreciate a similiar system again in another game and it would be cool if Arcen games would be the ones who do this.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 02:05:21 pm »
SH was very cartoony in appearance and overall very passe.  But yeah, that would be the closest to an exception.  In terms of a DS style system, while that would be fun it's something that also requires precision ranged weapons to actually make useful, you know?  I don't think a raptor has quite that much finesse. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk