Author Topic: Oh look, a feathered raptor in the Unity Asset Store.  (Read 22776 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Oh look, a feathered raptor in the Unity Asset Store.
« on: May 02, 2016, 02:53:23 pm »
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/61372

I'm not sure I can bring myself to use it, though.  It looks too... obese?  I don't know, it doesn't feel right to me.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
Re: Oh look, a feathered raptor in the Unity Asset Store.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 03:00:15 pm »
goodness he's a right old fatty isn't he? btw you can barely see the feathers on him you'd probably be better off sticking with what you've got unless you decide you want a feathered dinosaur for what ever reason.
c.r

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 04:15:03 pm »
That raptor needs more fibres in his diet.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 04:55:50 pm »
I asked my buddy working on Saurian what he thought of it.

[4:52:51 PM] X: lmfao no

[4:59:47 PM] X: Looks hilarious.
[5:00:03 PM] X: Especially that firm old-man's hair along the back of its head.
[5:01:21 PM] X: And lmao those wrist feathers and pronated hands, classic mistake. Though, I'm amazed at the fact that it actually has halluces! Most people forget these are a thing.
[5:01:50 PM] X: I think the feet are the most impressive area of that thing period.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 05:04:02 pm by Draco18s »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 07:28:28 pm »
Oh yeah, look at that!  I didn't know they were called halluces, but I see exactly what he means.  Looks super good on that model.  Too bad on the rest beyond the feet, though, yeah.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 09:15:03 pm »
I didn't know it either.
And yeah.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 10:27:09 pm »
Oh, speaking of assets.
You might find some stuff over at the Game Dev Market.  A lot of the stuff is engine agnostic, though a few bits here and there are for Unreal.  I'll probably end up plundering the SFX catalog at some point.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 09:48:13 am »
Good tip on there, thanks!  Overall a lot of their models and whatnot are duplicates of things that are on other 3D asset stores, but it's good to have more than one source.  As for sound effects I've got about 9 vendors I've used for a variety of things, but it's nice to have another. :)  Finding really good creature sounds is always tough.  Finding non-whiny/piercing sci-fi gun sounds was also hard for Starward Rogue.

Offline Krysle Quinsen

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 12:27:05 pm »

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 12:40:14 pm »
The first one has a severe case of feather mites, looks like a Pronatowrist breakius infestation; its entire manus is naked and its wrist has gotten all twisted around. I feel its neck is about twice as long as it should be, too.  The second one barely qualifies as "feathered."  Ditto #3, though it's better. The fourth one isn't a deinonychus, or really anything related, I am not sure what it is.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2016, 12:57:08 pm »
I've seen all those before, yep.

#1: I don't mind the inaccuracy of the feathers not being near the hand, personally (though I can see why it would bug some).  But the poly count and texturing is atrocious on that one, to me.

#2: That one seems like a really cartoony model in general, but also falls prey to: http://dinogoss.blogspot.com/2013/06/youre-doing-it-wrong-cgi-feathered.html

#3: Okay... actually this one is new to me!  Overall I like it, from the vertex count to the general way feathers are handled.  We'd have to re-rig it to match our existing rig, but that wouldn't be the end of the world.  I'm not an enormous fan of the way this is textured, though, so in order for us to use it we'd have to pretty much retexture the body and the feathers (the snout has some awesome details, as do the eyes, though).  That might be something we do if we get a chance later on, but I'm not sure how well we can do that without the original source files; mesh painting of the zbrush style doesn't work without a highly subdivided mesh.  Mudbox might do better, I'm not sure.

#4: That's getting pretty far from being a raptor, and I've seen this one before.  I like it, and the idea of having that sort of thing and an archaeopteryx as playable things is appealing in the same way a t-rex is.  Biggest problem with this specific model is the texturing is super cartoony again.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2016, 02:43:36 pm »
Yes, I suppose if you re-textured #3 you'd end up with something alright. :)

Buddy says (about #3):

[3:06:58 PM] X: It's not great but looks generic enough to be viewed as a "raptor" by the common folk.
[3:07:15 PM] X: At least the mani aren't as badly pronated in this one.
[3:09:01 PM] X: I'm kinda amazed the the primaries are correctly attached on manual phalanx II, albeit being weirdly shaped. Secondaries should be more uniform, tertiaries should be completely omitted. Wing lacking coverts :( why do people forget these are a thing.
[3:10:27 PM] X: The skull is not matching any dromaeosaur but rather modeled after the JP skull I guess? The rest of the body feathering makes absolutely no sense and the tail is extremely shrinkwrapped.
[3:10:49 PM] X: The tail fan looks okay-ish tho
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 03:13:01 pm by Draco18s »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk