Author Topic: So... What's up? [obligatory topic to extract information from Chris]  (Read 15782 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: So... What's up? [obligatory topic to extract information from Chris]
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2016, 10:01:38 am »
It's just cache.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2016, 12:43:56 pm »
Now it will do it.  Cloudflare was caching it.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 12:47:14 pm »
* Draco18s pokes ctrl-F5 a couple times

I'll give it a bit to catch up before I say it's still "broken."

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2016, 03:21:04 pm »
I believe it has refreshed for me.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2016, 09:04:46 pm »
time to continue the force full extraction of information is there anything of particular interest gong on with development right now Chris?.
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2016, 09:11:40 pm »
Well, I am running slow, for one thing.  But a few things of note:

1. The game is now... first person instead of third person!  This sounds crazy, but actually works suuuper well.

2. The level editor is done, though it was a bear.

3. Now that you're seeing the raptor model from so much closer than before, we're working on a new raptor model that is nicer.  It's been rigged, but not animated yet.

4. Loooots of work has been done, in general.  But not as much content design as I'd like.  The mechanics and the setup for doing content design is pretty freaking awesome, though.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2016, 09:51:54 pm »
If the game is first person now, is a new raptor model even necassary?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2016, 09:04:26 am »
You still very much see yourself, in the best sort of way. :)

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2016, 11:06:45 am »
in that case how does your view change when doing the tail swipe? because I can imagine it being all sorts of disorientating providing that is even a thing and I'm not imagining things of course.
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2016, 11:28:32 am »
Tail swipe had to go away, because yeah that was absolutely nuts.  Now you have the Jedi b**chslap.  Not what we call it in game, obviously, but I find that hilarious for some reason. :D

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Gardener Enclave
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2016, 02:07:14 am »
1. The game is now... first person instead of third person!  This sounds crazy, but actually works suuuper well.
Arcen, #1 in "throw design through the window" contest.

That choice might be the good one, and I'm sure you are doing it only for the game's well-being; however I have a couple of concerns about that.

1) I was growing attached to that 3rd person thing. And you have three trailers featuring 3rd person gameplay. I'm not even talking about the technical effort you're throwing away, because this is a cost for a better; I'm talking about the hype you built around your upcoming game. I'm thinking I would have preferred not knowing anything about the game before its launch and not have grown attached to that kind of details. Sad.

2) Trust. While I personally trust you, because I believe in your way of doing things (quality before all else), I bet there are people out there whose faith is more recent and less strong. The SBR affair didn't let you in a strong position on the trust topic. Hopefully you did things right and there is only trust at stake; nobody paid (yet) for SBR or RR. Yet, for a community member, trust is a thing.

I hope you won't take that for more than it is: one community member's (slight) unrest.

I still trust you, and if you say 1st person is better, I'll deal with it. But... please... please do soften the emotional rollercoaster you're putting your community members in. ;)
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2016, 10:53:34 am »
People can't have it both ways: either companies share early, and things change over time, or they share late.  Similarly, either companies evolve products in the best way possible, or they stick with their first concepts even if there were some issues with it.

This sort of thing isn't really new to us: with Valley 1, not that that is a bastion of success, we went from top-down to sidescroller.  Overall I don't think there is so much awareness about this game at this point that people will be too put out.  We shall see.

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2016, 12:58:45 pm »
I'm glad to hear about the switch to first person.  I can see how it would fit the type of game better.  I'm sure it's much more immersive now.

Speaking of immersion, have you considered adding VR support?  I don't have a headset myself, but they seem to be all the rage these days.  Might be good for sales.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2016, 02:20:20 pm »
If it is 1st person please by all that is holy have a FOV slider and aspect ratio setting for 4:3 5:4 16:10 16:9 and 21:9 ^^
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk