Author Topic: So... What's up? [obligatory topic to extract information from Chris]  (Read 15774 times)

Offline nas1m

• Master Member
Any news ;)?
What happened to your press build?
Craving some more color and variety in your next Bionic run? Grab a boost and a couple of custom floors!

Offline ptarth

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Hero Member Mark III
  • I'm probably joking.
Hofstadter's Law. Busy. Soon.
Note: This post contains content that is meant to be whimsical. Any belittlement or trivialization of complex issues is only intended to lighten the mood and does not reflect upon the merit of those positions.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Yeah, it seems like it's probably coming soon.  Not sure.

I get the impression that I shouldn't give any details, but I will say that I think it's shaping up nicely so far.  It'll be interesting to see just where this all goes in the end.  And what the reception to it is.

I mean, it's Arcen's first 3D game, and something very different from everything else they've done.  Gonna surprise some people, I bet.  I look forward to what may be rather entertaining reactions to the idea of this one.

Here's hoping it goes well though.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
Yeah gotta admit "3d 3rd person dinosaur hackn'slash" is not what I think when I think "Arcen" ;) Steamspy data on 3rd person indy games (very few good ones of those by the way) does not exactly convince me that this is a good financial idea....

What I wanted Arcen to do was a AI War 2 with some more abstracted higher concepts and a clean slick stylized 3d look, a proper meta-progression, maybe even with VR support. But hey.. at least Arcen starts with 3D somewhere.. that it is with one of the most difficult areas you can imagine is maybe not such a great thing though. 3rd person games require immense polish and that drives cost up.... while historically they have never been very popular. (Yeah yeah, exceptions like Mount and Blade..)

To be fair, so far I haven't really understood what the gameplay goals are so maybe it is far more fun than it sounds.
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Thanks for running point for me, guys, while I had my head down. :)  I didn't even see this thread!

In terms of third person indie games, it's not something that gives me too much pause mainly because I've been putting in the time on polish, and feel like I know what I'm doing at this point.  There's plenty more to be done, but it's coming along.  It does make me look forward to the simplicity of a first person camera in the survival game, heh, but overall this has been worth it as a very good learning experience in the third person.

The fact that other people aren't doing something often means there's an opportunity if you're willing to put in the time and have a different idea.  Fingers crossed here.  And incidentally I don't need this to sell like a million copies or something.  It doesn't need to dominate the steam charts to be a success.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
It doesn't need to dominate the steam charts to be a success.
But it'd be nice if it managed to! :)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
For sure, I wouldn't say no. ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
I just noticed that the icon literally just changed this very moment why?!........
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
I changed it last week or so, but hadn't had time to update it until today. :)

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
Re: So... What's up? [obligatory topic to extract information from Chris]
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2016, 02:20:57 pm »
now its changed back?! what on earth are doing laptop?.
c.r

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2016, 02:21:40 pm »
Cache, probably.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2016, 05:28:26 pm »
Cache, probably.
nope its back now any way chris why exactly did you change the icon? will the old icon be the games icon for things like desktop? because I think that would look way better on my desktop than this current logo.
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2016, 06:55:17 pm »
The old icon is dead -- long live the new icon! ;)

I really just didn't like how the other one looked, honestly.  It didn't have the right feel for the game, and it was part of the old version of the logo, as well.  The new logo is cleaner and less (accidentally) cartoony.  The new icon is not 100% my favorite yet, but it's a big step up at least.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 10:30:13 pm »
* Draco18s ctrl-f5

Aww, I liked that icon. Oh well.

Oh. Interesting.  The "on" version (new posts) is still the old one.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 11:46:28 pm by Draco18s »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk