Author Topic: Lore timeline of the Arcenverse.  (Read 18037 times)

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Lore timeline of the Arcenverse.
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2016, 11:26:19 pm »
It will stick in my brain better
I read that as "I will stick my brain in batter", which makes more sense in the context of how we handle lore.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2016, 12:10:59 am »
It will stick in my brain better
I read that as "I will stick my brain in batter", which makes more sense in the context of how we handle lore.

That does sound kinda fitting.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2016, 12:30:39 am »
so I was just thinking to my self ,I wonder what role if any the ai from war plays in this game and untitled, will be refenced in any way at all? or is it a simply a big fat no? or MAYBE its even kind of involved in the gameplay in an odd way I mean if it did id imagine it was persificly in a way like it was in bionic dues with not being quite there yet and therefore not commanding whole fleets and so on.
c.r

Offline Captain Jack

• Hero Member Mark II
  • Just lucky
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2016, 03:52:20 am »
...not for the dinosaurs, no.  Well, not human voice-acted anyhow. :)
Hire Dio Brando, he's an expert at making dinosaur sounds.

Also, uhhhhhhhhhhh... continuity error! SBR is simultaneously 6 and 8, with Starward Rogue at 9. Also we were a bit more ambivalent about BD, the short rule is "if it takes place off-planet, it's part of the timeline". No problems with its inclusion though, I left a BD shaped hole in the master version because I knew you wouldn't be able to resist using it.  ;D  Next time you want one of these let me know, I can add even more tantalizing and uninformative details!

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Gardener Enclave
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2016, 07:19:30 am »
And yes the game did not sell well, but we have awesome freaking volunteers who are making all that happen.
Fixed that for you
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2016, 07:33:44 am »
I left a BD shaped hole in the master version because I knew you wouldn't be able to resist using it.  ;D

So, with so much time between Bionic Dues and AI War, there is no more chance for my "Langstrom great-grandfather + early prototype from Exodian" theory to survive. Sad.
I would have though of a reference to the Exodian Blade and Dr. Langstrom. But as it would rather be hundreds of years earlier than the true civil war and AI (Exodian Blade sibling-like) breaking free... Maybe we would see the name of Langstrom as the great-grand-father of the Dr. of the same name who was involved in the [spoil] of the [spoiling] Exodian [spoil].

Also, two civil wars between Bionic Dues and AI War? Why? Why is it needed to not have a united event where BD is the early premises and AI War the post-thing.

Also, did I read 800 years between the human-near-wipe and the beginning of the game of AI War (the desperate onslaught / assassination)? Then the "Langstrom in Bionic Dues" probability just imploded.
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2016, 02:12:29 pm »
I can't keep it all straight in my brain batter right now. ;)

Short answers to a few things:

1. There is only one true civil war, and it was an inter-solar-system affair.

2. However, there was a lot of what we'd probably call civil unrest (but on a HEAVY scale) prior to that.  Aka, cities being demolished by protesting robots or humans -- or corporations that were "cutting losses."

3. Time dilation is a thing.  Humans in AI War have wormhole technology, but you'll notice that isn't present in any of the other games.  Wormholes allow for FTL travel, but beyond that everyone else is bound by c.  Given that, some of the timescales are long simply because it takes a long freaking time to get anywhere if you don't have a wormhole. ;)  When we're talking galactic traversal, 800 years is next to no time at all, so various theories about Langstrom and so forth are in no way ruled out.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2016, 07:44:41 am »
[science-y blah blah], so various theories about Langstrom and so forth are in no way ruled out.
Okay, nice. Thanks.

Maybe I would lurk the Internet, find Watashiwa's address, kidnap his pet to get leverage on Arcenverse's fate. Muahaha.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2016, 02:46:45 pm »
Or possibly just shoot him a PM. ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2016, 07:53:45 am »
Or possibly just shoot him
Oh, you know, my goal isn't to terminate the Arcenverse timeline.
a PM. ;)
Ow. Yeah, maybe.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2016, 01:42:08 pm »
 ;D

Offline dfinlay

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2016, 03:06:23 am »
MOST of the games in the Arcen lineup are in the same sci-fi universe.  The exceptions are Tidalis, Shattered Haven, Skyward Collapse, and the two Valley games.

Huh. I think I recall you saying that Valley was included back during earlier SBR development. Am I remembering incorrectly or did it get cut out of the universe in the intervening time?

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2016, 03:42:28 am »
MOST of the games in the Arcen lineup are in the same sci-fi universe.  The exceptions are Tidalis, Shattered Haven, Skyward Collapse, and the two Valley games.

Huh. I think I recall you saying that Valley was included back during earlier SBR development. Am I remembering incorrectly or did it get cut out of the universe in the intervening time?
Valley is where continuity goes to die.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2016, 11:28:30 am »
Even IF Valley took place in the same universe, it probably didn't take long for "The Valley" to phase out into a different time/dimension and is thus no longer a part of the same universe. It IS a pretty messy place after all.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2016, 02:32:34 pm »
Valley is something that I imagine could theoretically exist in that universe, although way off in an insane corner gibbering to itself somewhere.  Basically the Valley games take place on a planet that had a 4D fracturing, making the planet both larger and scrambled in time periods, etc.  It features magic, which is what mainly would exclude it from the Arcenverse sci fi timeline.  That said, part of me wants to say "ah, but there might be !science! behind the mechanics of that magic!"

That may be stretching it, though. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk