Author Topic: E3 Trailer: In Case Of Emergency, Release Raptor  (Read 9676 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
E3 Trailer: In Case Of Emergency, Release Raptor
« on: June 14, 2016, 09:14:53 pm »
Original: http://arcengames.com/e3-trailer-in-case-of-emergency-release-raptor/

Woohoo!  Finally some real footage of the game with actual robots in place.  Things are proceeding really well, although slightly slower than I'd like.  That said, it's really polishing up very well.  We're currently aiming for an early access launch near the start of July.

Here's some random information you might like:

• This trailer only shows two different types of robots, with three variants between them.  There will be maaaany more, though, and the little mobile guys won't always be so hard to catch.

• If you look closely in a few shots, you may notice that you can tail-whip enemy shots back at them. :)

• This is still using the two test levels, because we needed to polish up a press demo and that was the easiest way.

• Actual procedural levels are still in progress, because we need a better map editor to really get that working the way I want.  That's my focus for the rest of this week, and then Misery and I can get to designing spaces.

• Overall the minimum system specs are coming out a bit heavier than I expected, but it makes a certain amount of sense given what all this is.  We're certainly not wasting any processing.

• Generally speaking if you're running a graphics card that is midlevel from about 3 years ago you can expect to get a solid 30-60fps depending on what effects you have enabled and what screen resolution you have.

• If you have a lower-level card from about 5 years ago, you may or may not be able to run this at 30fps with every effect off and a very small resolution.

• We do have it tested and running on windows, osx, and linux at this point. :)

• This will be launching on the Humble Store at the same time this goes live on the Steam Store.

• The starting price is going to be $5, but then that will rise over the course of development as more features are added.  The ending price is expected to be $15, unless there just isn't enough support from players to warrant building it out to that level.

• Either way, I very much intend to make sure that you get a good value for your money at whatever price point it's sold to you at -- not theoretical value, but actual value-at-the-moment.  That way we can let this evolve as a partnership between the players and Arcen, and we'll build it out as much as you'll let us. ;)

• I'm suuuuper jazzed about this, if you can't tell.  This is such a fun game.  Not that I'm biased.

Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Re: E3 Trailer: In Case Of Emergency, Release Raptor
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 01:41:11 am »
Nice trailer there!

The good:  Lots of things exploding and shattering, nice lighting effects and overall look to it are shown off well here, more things exploding, fast pace, robots with lasers.

The not as good: The jumping looks a little awkward in some spots; combination of the camera angles and some of the screwiness of those two test maps.  It'll get ironed out, I'm sure, but it does look a little weird in the trailer.

The hilarious:  You (I assume it's you playing) getting blasted a lot by that accursed turret in the labs.  Yeah, that one.  Devious, that thing.  Took me ages to find the way to get at it properly.

Cant wait to mess with that editor.  That and seeing what other robot types you have in store here.

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Gardener Enclave
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 07:36:32 am »
That might be the first Arcen's game I won't be able to run on my Linux machine. Yeah, the GPU is so small I'm forced to reduce the quality on Starward Rogue! Anyway, my Windows rig sounds geared enough for that.

My bits on the trailer: too many cuts and camera movements; hard to read and understand what's going on, apart from pew-pew, boom-boom... which might be the point of that trailer. I still love the dark & light theme, though. Rust and neon! Yay!

Also, I'm very interested in the lore behind it, and the fact that most of mankind left Earth (right?) because of robots (Bionic Dues' ones ++?) really sounds like something big is happening in the Arcenverse at the time of this game. I hope it will be developed a bit more in RR and the next 3D survival game.

Good luck for the soon-to-be early access!
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 09:19:00 am »
Thanks guys!

And yep, there's a lot of fast movements and cuts in there partly to disguise the fact that there's lower content amounts in there than there will be in the EA launch trailer.  That one will be more of a middle tempo speed-wise, but I wanted this "oh man it's manic" trailer to still work at that time without feeling content-barren by comparison.  It probably still will, but I took a shot, heh.

Basically the first trailer was very somber and slow, this one is just absolutely manic, and then the EA launch one will be in the middle and more focused on giving a feel for the game with more content in there.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 11:12:56 pm »
5$ for an early access title sounds pretty cheap. That's 2/3 cut from the price of the release version. Are you sure you want to make it that cheap?

Will the game feature boss enemies like in Starward rogue? Or only regular robo dudes?

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 09:05:43 am »
The idea is that th  first version is a fledgling cut of the full one. It's not a tech demo by any stretch, but I don't want people to buy it on the promise of lots of future content. That's always risky because if people don't buy it and I can't afford to finish it, people are rightly pissed. I'd rather them get a good value for their money from the start, and anything after that is gravy. And hopefully it gets lots of traction and updates partly because of people being less wary of it.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 04:46:01 pm »
this was at e3? I wonder if it'll be on the pc gaming conference speaking of which I need to watch that although I don't care about the other conferences(howdy ea what's up! whats that I hear? you want to rip me of by selling me a map for your crappy game when I could play the game that came before it and get this and more?)
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 04:54:43 pm »
It wasn't actually at E3 in person (Erik didn't go this year, though he has a lot of other years); but it's timed for the E3 reveals, anyhow.

Offline Logorouge

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 05:00:53 pm »
I think my ideal type of trailer for the game would be something like a merged version of the two current trailers, with the first dramatic trailer as the intro and then it cuts to the more hectic/action-packed second trailer sequences.

But even separately, I still like both of them. :)

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 05:07:25 pm »
Thanks!  And yep, I hope to hit a happy medium with the first EA launch one.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 06:25:13 pm »
I hope you guys consider Easter eggs. Stuff like this works always great in 3d action games. I know it will be procedurally generated but maybe you can place randomly in a 1:100 chance an object in a room as Easter egg.
For example, since this plays after Bionic Dues, maybe you can find an abandoned Exo fro the time back then?
Or maybe you can find plans on a computer screen for the development of the next generation of battle Ai (since this one turned out, again, a failure.... wow, humanity in Arcen Verse screws up their computer AIs a lot).

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 07:10:52 pm »
Oh, don't worry, there are a number of easter eggs planned... :D

Some from me, some from Pablo...

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 07:16:34 pm »
Eggcellent.  :)

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 09:14:24 pm »
That's a pretty nice trailer, y'all.  The game is really starting to take shape.  I wasn't really sure what to expect, but this clears up a lot of the questions I had about it.  It's looks really crazy and fun!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2016, 09:35:43 am »
Thank you!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk