Author Topic: Dev Diary 5: First Person Camera & Level Editor  (Read 10073 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Dev Diary 5: First Person Camera & Level Editor
« on: July 04, 2016, 10:13:37 am »
Original: http://arcengames.com/dev-diary-5-first-person-camera-level-editor-in-case-of-emergency-release-raptor/

Launching on the 8th, now, rather than the 5th. Also, please note that the first-person view will be an OPTION, and third-person view will still be supported. It's been pretty clear that a lot of people like the third-person view, so there's no way around keeping it. Personally I really love the first-person feeling, but I can also see myself switching back and forth between the two modes in the future.

Lots of positive evolution for the game in general, on a whole bunch of fronts, and not remotely all of which I was able to discuss here.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
Re: Dev Diary 5: First Person Camera & Level Editor
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 11:43:01 am »
glad to hear your making the view toggleble is it particularly was it particularly difficult to implement? seems like it would be easy but I'm probably wrong there

also that isn't really what id call 1st person its what id personally call over the shoulder view
1st person to me is seeing from the eyes of what your playing as but I'm nit picking I dig the new view ill be sure to play it when I've gotten used to the game properly

on a side his face looks adorable close up don't ask me why it just does.
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 11:45:55 am »
Cool beans. :)

And yeah, over the shoulder would make sense.  However, the way that it plays in terms of how you turn, etc, is very much first person.  You pivot from your own central axis rather than having an orbit effect, for instance.

Having both modes isn't particularly difficult to implement (since I already had done the third person one), but there are some issues with the third-person view that were challenging that I have to once again face, heh.

We actually are doing a completely new raptor model, I forgot to mention.  A lot more realistic, etc.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 11:51:01 am »
Cool beans. :)

And yeah, over the shoulder would make sense.  However, the way that it plays in terms of how you turn, etc, is very much first person.  You pivot from your own central axis rather than having an orbit effect, for instance.

Having both modes isn't particularly difficult to implement (since I already had done the third person one), but there are some issues with the third-person view that were challenging that I have to once again face, heh.

We actually are doing a completely new raptor model, I forgot to mention.  A lot more realistic, etc.

1 yea I know its first person for all intents and purposes like I said I'm nit picking besides for true first person you'd need to figure out things like your vision height and I imagine it would be a giant pain in the ass to make all the technical stuff work properly

2 aww but he's got such an adorable face but I guess it is a bit to expressive really.
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 11:54:30 am »
The vision height is actually lower for the sake of matching him here, which I'm very fond of.  The reason I did him up visible on the side is so that you have more of a sense of him really being there -- otherwise you might as well just be another space marine I figure.  Plus biting is not really on the table if you can't see your head, heh.

My main beef with this model is the dragon-like scales, not the cartoony nature of him.  Though that bit isn't my favorite either.

Offline Pepisolo

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Master Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 12:04:58 pm »
I really like the idea of having both the 3rd person and the over-the-shoulder views, and being able to switch between them during play. Both approaches have positives and negatives, but seem like they will be very complementary when put together, as long as you can iron out the kinks, of course.  The over-the-shoulder view seems a bit weird when you first start playing, but there seems to be something quite cool about it. Super vague opinion, but that's kind of just what I think at the moment. It's like "this is odd.........ok I'm starting to get this.....hang on this is actually super cool.......or is it.......this is a different experience....yeah, it is good!" That was the best way I could find to explain my feelings so far! :)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 12:06:52 pm by Pepisolo »

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 12:40:49 pm »
Well, I suppose that's better than "ugh!" ;)

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Gardener Enclave
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 06:15:29 am »
3rd person + shoulder-cam switching is a very elegant way of solving that problem. Thank you a lot for having considered not throwing work through the window.
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 12:59:35 pm »
The raptor being on the left irks me, probably because I'm so used to having weapon models on the right.

But other than that, looks pretty slick.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk