Author Topic: Anyone up for a quick OSX test?  (Read 9387 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Anyone up for a quick OSX test?
« on: July 07, 2016, 01:30:49 pm »
If you have an OSX machine, I'd love to give you a free key and hear if the game runs and/or how well on what hardware.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
Re: Anyone up for a quick OSX test?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 01:58:50 pm »
It'll be later this evening, but I'd be happy to give it a go.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 04:40:09 pm »
It'll be later this evening, but I'd be happy to give it a go.

Thanks!  I sent a key.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 10:11:32 pm »
OK, I just played through the Lab level, and here's what I found.  First of all, the game ran flawlessly.  And it's pretty fun.  Very basic, but that's what I was expecting.  I only got hit 141 times!

As for the performance, I wasn't able to test on my mid-2013 Macbook Pro.  I came home from work to find that one of my kids left it in the floor for my toddler to spill water all over it.  I'm afraid it won't be running until I get it to the Mac store.  Luckily, I use it for work, and my office should pay for it.

But that doesn't mean I don't have a mac to test on!  I still have my previous Macbook Pro.  It's getting a bit long in the tooth though, and after turning all the pretty things off, I was able to get it to barely squeeze out 17fps.  I guess if you need a low end mac tester, I'm your guy.  This old MBP is a 13 inch, Early 2011 model.  2.7GHz Core i7, 6GB DDR3 1333MHz, Intel HD 3000.  Hardly a super computer, but I thought I would have gotten a little better performance out of it.  Still looked pretty good, even with everything on minimum.

For comparisons sake, my main gaming PC easily maintains 70+ fps with settings maxed out, sometimes jumping past 100fps.  And I only got hit 26 times.

If you need any more info, please let me know.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 10:42:15 pm »
Awesome!  Thanks for the confirmation there. :)

The current levels there are pretty poorly optimized because they are not taking full advantage of the occluder system, but the real procedural levels should do better on older hardware.  Still, it pushes a fair amount of geometry that older computers will have trouble with.

THAT said, I just pushed a release that fixes some pretty huge issues that had broken the occluder system in the prior build.  I'll be curious to know if there's any difference (positive or negative) in the new version.

Offline mrhanman

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 01:06:10 am »
It looks like the framerate went up slightly.  18-19fps, on average.  The framerate does seem to be more stable, I'd say.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 09:08:44 am »
Excellent!

Offline Sounds

• Full Member Mark II
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 10:58:40 am »
Hi Chris,

I've just got back from overseas.

However as the type of game is not my bag, I'd only be testing the performance and technical issues. Is this ok?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk