Author Topic: All right, let's get this over with: August 17th is the new release date.  (Read 17308 times)

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
To be honest, the general vision of early access games is bad, not from Release Raptor only. That's not your fault and in my opinion this vision is crap anyway. it's this kind of stuck thinking where people take some bad examples and apply it to everything else in the same section.
EA titles have got a lot of bad puzblicity from some very bad developers that handled their games very poorly when releasing in EA. There are a lot of titles that proved different (Starbound, Darkest Dungeon, Sunless Sea) but people see only the bad stuff, never the good stuff. And therefor they immidiatly say "All EA titles are crap when they come out". When Sunless Sea entered EA it was more a finished game than games that are actually labeled "finished". I know people are still sour and salty about titles like Spacebase Df-9 and Starforge but get over it, not everyone handles they're EA titles as bad as these developers.

People shoudl simply view the game itself before talking nonsense like that. seriusly, what kind of idiotism is this?

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Oh, I know it has nothing to do with Raptor specifically.  But in order to dodge the stereotype, we have to really be out ahead of it, you know?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
Starbound is...not exactly better than when it was in EA, as far as I've seen, but it hasn't gotten worse either.

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire
Starbound hasn't changed that much. People complain a lot about it but seriously, they couldn't have added much more to begin with.
It's always the usual "your design of game does not fit my personal vision of the game" whining. Peopel except the developers do exactly the kind of game they except it to be and not the developers vision. And god forbid if the developers add their own ideas! How could they do such an outrageous act?

Starbound is okay where it is now. Except some bugs and performance issues (for some). Somehow fullscreen does not work for me, that's my only complaint at the moment. I like however that they added a way to make better use of farming with the market system. now you can sell crops in a Harvest Moon-like system.

Offline Tolc

• Full Member Mark II
Yeah, well, TB was his cynical self again...probably comes with his job: increased exposure to bad EA games -> more cynicism, rinse and repeat.

I have more hope for Jesse to actually make a video considering his reaction :) And it shows that the premise of the game might get other youtube folks interested as well (if they know that this game exists).

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
Starbound hasn't changed that much. People complain a lot about it but seriously, they couldn't have added much more to begin with.
It's always the usual "your design of game does not fit my personal vision of the game" whining. Peopel except the developers do exactly the kind of game they except it to be and not the developers vision. And god forbid if the developers add their own ideas! How could they do such an outrageous act?

Starbound is okay where it is now. Except some bugs and performance issues (for some). Somehow fullscreen does not work for me, that's my only complaint at the moment. I like however that they added a way to make better use of farming with the market system. now you can sell crops in a Harvest Moon-like system.
The generic as all hell new story is the only thing I've heard of that really bothers me. Like, if you're going to have a story at all with multiple race selection, could it at least care who you picked? I don't think carnivorous plant-based aliens and medieval stasis robots would even stick around in the same place as the hoomans just from their description alone.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
For sure -- I agree I hope it will do well with that sort of crowd. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline TheVampire100

• Master Member
  • Ordinary Vampire

The generic as all hell new story is the only thing I've heard of that really bothers me. Like, if you're going to have a story at all with multiple race selection, could it at least care who you picked? I don't think carnivorous plant-based aliens and medieval stasis robots would even stick around in the same place as the hoomans just from their description alone.

Suff like this bothers me not much. i play Novakids anyway who didn't get any love at all (no Novakid villages, no Novakid lore that was there before the 1.0 update but was for soem reason removed after).

What me bothers however are the stupid scanning missions during the story line. You have to search eternally for a good village and even then you get only a small fragment of what you actually need. the purpose is clear, artifical playing time. it is only in there to keep the player longer int he game than he should.

Offline Misery

• Arcen Volunteer
  • Core Member Mark V
Hey guys how's the game com... reads Chris's hyperbole

reads the rest of the post

Ah. So... Chris is letting perfectionism lead to feature creep delaying the full release while he makes highly technical changes that he wants to get absolutely right, which is when perfectionism leads to yet more feature creep... Tuesday at Arcen.  :P

It's also a matter of general content, really.  There needs to be enough rooms and enemies and things too, dont want the game getting repetitive or anything.

I've only been able to do the rooms so much myself, as my arm went bad again, which is irritating.  Currently helping with what Chris calls "tactical ideas/situations" and coming up with ideas for objects/enemies.  So, I've officially warned you in advance that there might be some devious stuff in here, because hahaha.  I probably shouldnt reveal anything here, so I'm not going to, but I think there's going to be some very interesting and creative rooms full of neat (and murderous) stuff.    I'm blaming the weather.

And yeah, the "Tuesday at Arcen" bit.  That happens alot, doesnt it, with pretty much all these games.  My favorite is still TLF's entire battle system being ripped out and totally replaced.   Twice, if I recall correctly.

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
Keith and I have both been thinking about an AI War 2 at this point, but from very different perspectives.  Whether and how the two of us come together to work on that, and how we divide the labor, remains to be seen.  Most likely he would take simulation and AI, I'd take display and networking, and we'd divide interface and procedural generation.  Probably.  I haven't spoken to him at all about this in quite a while, so he might be reading this going "what the heck??" ;)

I wanted to say I felt as a snake in the grass, but the idiom is the opposite of what I feel. So I feel, like a fox near its foxhole (maybe?), who lately hides but always listening and I say this:

If there was ever a project I would want to be an alpha tester of instead of the very last line of beta testers, this would be the project. It would be a project I would be willing to go into the trenches for week in and week out. I owe it one a personal level. Its soul is where I started this forum, and I would give it my soul.

The heart of participation is there for this potential project.
Life is short. Have fun.

Offline Pumpkin

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Gardener Enclave
Keith and I have both been thinking about an AI War 2 at this point, but from very different perspectives.  Whether and how the two of us come together to work on that, and how we divide the labor, remains to be seen.  Most likely he would take simulation and AI, I'd take display and networking, and we'd divide interface and procedural generation.  Probably.  I haven't spoken to him at all about this in quite a while, so he might be reading this going "what the heck??" ;)

I wanted to say I felt as a snake in the grass, but the idiom is the opposite of what I feel. So I feel, like a fox near its foxhole (maybe?), who lately hides but always listening and I say this:

If there was ever a project I would want to be an alpha tester of instead of the very last line of beta testers, this would be the project. It would be a project I would be willing to go into the trenches for week in and week out. I owe it one a personal level. Its soul is where I started this forum, and I would give it my soul.

Yeah, Chris, you should just drop RR and SBR right now and jump on AIW2. :P

Of course I'm not serious, but I have to admit I can't get truly engaged with SR and RR. Even SBR isn't a think I deeply invested in while the redshirts were jumping in. But AIW... I'm very pleased with how the Freaking VolunteersTM were able to work with SR (Mysery, Pepisolo and the others I forget) and I hope I'll be able to do something like that with AIW2. How lovely it would be to do tweaks and balance and content creation on the very game I can spend hundreds of hours in and around. I can't wait. Sincerely, I do my best, but I can't.

Ah, you shouldn't have talked about AIW2 here. We're already stealing that thread and running far away with it...
Please excuse my english: I'm not a native speaker. Don't hesitate to correct me.

Offline Cyborg

• Master Member Mark III

Nothing but dedication from me for AI war 2.
Kahuna strategy guide:
http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,13369.0.html

Suggestions, bugs? Don't be lazy, give back:
http://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/

Planetcracker. Believe it.

The stigma of hunger. http://wayw.re/Vi12BK

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
It might be interesting as a next project after the Raptor project, I'm not sure.  Depends on where things are with the company at that point on a lot of fronts.

Offline crazyroosterman

• Master Member Mark II
  • Cluck.
about the pod cast I was pretty glad they noticed that this games coming unlike the others sbr(which to be fair has a massive question mark over its head right so it would have been a waste of time for them to talk about it)
and star ward rogue which they didn't notice when it was about to release or when it did even.
hell I think there still not aware of its existence considering that it got zero mention when rr turned up.

over all though their response was what I expected I imagine tb would be more enthusiastic about this game if he actually played it which of course he (rightfully) won't till its hopefully fully released although
but i was very pleased by jesses reaction to it not that it surprised me to much it really is perfect for him.
c.r

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
Okay, as some folks suggested, the derailment of this thread got so heavy and specific that it was made into its own topic for further discussion: http://www.arcengames.com/forums/index.php/topic,18892.0.html

It ought to have better visibility there anyhow.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk