Author Topic: Which is the best institute for game development in india?  (Read 30857 times)

Offline liceade

Which is the best institute for game development in india?
« on: August 26, 2010, 03:19:18 am »
I'm currently doing FYBScIT in mumbai and want to pursue my carrier in gaming.I know that some institute offer a PG degree in game development or game design.please help me out which is the best.thank you..

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Which is the best institute for game development in india?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 08:49:03 am »
No one on staff here has a degree in game development, and I don't personally know an other indies that do. There are indies out there who do, but most of the ones i know have degrees in other fields: computer science, business, art, etc.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline CogDissident

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 11:27:49 am »
Unfortunately, most American gaming companies will tend to shun Indian and India-trained developers due to the perceived (whether this is true or not) lower quality of software developed over there. If you would like to continue a career in gaming, I would suggest some additional English-language classes, since most programming languages have manuals primarily in english, and have most of their support and web-forums are in english, regardless of what language the game's target audience is.

Also, I've never heard the term FYB Science Internet Technology, and can't find what the FYB stands for. Though the acronym does sound like there is too much of a generalist tech-focus. Almost like a degree in "business", due to the fact that it appears to have at least 3 specialties in it.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 11:35:06 am »
Bear in mind that there are plenty of Asian gaming companies that have entirely different criteria than those in the US and Europe, though.  So using the US as a guide doesn't necessarily lead to the best result unless you want to work with US companies.  There are a lot of game engines in other countries ranging from Russia to Korea to China to Japan that we hardly (if ever) hear about over here, and I'm sure there are probably many in India, too. 

I imagine you have many options, but I don't know what they all are, and can't really speak to the state of game development in most other countries, let alone non-English-speaking ones.  But either way, most indie developers won't know much about large company hiring practices in this industry, especially in countries in which they don't work.  Some of us are indie because we left large gaming companies, but many of us (me included) came from unrelated industries, and have specifically avoided the larger gaming companies because we know what it's like.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline elywaldoya

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 04:24:07 am »
Hi,
I have been looking into the Media Arts and Animation degree offered at the art institute but i am just not sure if its a good college/degree for a job as a game developer. I would love to be a 3D modeler and renderer or an Animator. I am just incredibly worried that I will waste my time and money at the Art Institute and never get hired at a game development company. So... Your thoughts? (Specifically people in the Game development business.)I live in Austin, TX. Lucky me. Any recommendations in degrees or universities in the area?

Offline Ozymandiaz

• Hero Member Mark II
  • King of kings
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 05:14:03 am »
Unfortunately, most American gaming companies will tend to shun Indian and India-trained developers due to the perceived (whether this is true or not) lower quality of software developed over there. If you would like to continue a career in gaming, I would suggest some additional English-language classes, since most programming languages have manuals primarily in english, and have most of their support and web-forums are in english, regardless of what language the game's target audience is.

Also, I've never heard the term FYB Science Internet Technology, and can't find what the FYB stands for. Though the acronym does sound like there is too much of a generalist tech-focus. Almost like a degree in "business", due to the fact that it appears to have at least 3 specialties in it.

I am fairly sure the BSc is the title (Bachelor of science, commone engineering title). I got such a title myself before I got MSc.

So I suspect IT is just IT, that leavs FY a mystery to me :).

I have worked with indians in my line of work, they are very dedicated and the software they made has run for ages without and major fault. On par with other software really. They just like colors more in it then us in the west where shades of gray is more prevalent :).

To OP: if you wanna get into game making, you really must either become an indie, og get with a huge (or samller) company, afaik (I guess like any other field... :P ). Hone your skills and show them off, that will help you :).

But I have no real clue how that particular field operates, I am working in engineering myself, in another field enteirly :).
We are the architects of our own existence

Offline dumpsterKEEPER

• Sr. Member Mark II
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 07:54:41 pm »

Four year, perhaps? I'm totally guessing here, but that's the first thing that came to mind.

Offline Ozymandiaz

• Hero Member Mark II
  • King of kings
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 02:55:17 pm »

Four year, perhaps? I'm totally guessing here, but that's the first thing that came to mind.

Sounds like it might be yeah.
We are the architects of our own existence

Offline ImFromTheFuture

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 04:04:40 pm »

FY is for First Year. SY for Second Year and TY for Third Year.

Offline Coppermantis

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Avenger? I hardly know 'er!
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2014, 08:15:50 pm »
Appropriate username is appropriate.
I can already tell this is going to be a roller coaster ride of disappointment.

Offline KillerofGods

• Newbie Mark III
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 03:23:13 am »
and have specifically avoided the larger gaming companies because we know what it's like.
I realize this is from 5 years ago but would you mind telling me what you meant by this? I'm currently wanting to go to college for programming and I'm considering trying to get into the gaming industry and trying to join one of those larger gaming companies, specifically... a dream job would be at Blizzard Entertainment.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 07:55:31 am »
Well, the main thing would be to look up working conditions at EA and it's subsidiaries. Those are reputedly the worst conditions. But in general a lot of indies are former AAA cogs now, and many of them posted  about the lack of creative input and low pay and high amount of unpaid overtime in crunch time, etc. And then often layoffs as a reward for a successful game release.

That's a huge and unfair generalization, but those are the things that happen enough to be very worrisome. Working directly at Blizzard or Valve or Epic would not come with that specific set of problems. I know plenty of happy people at Valve, for instance, and Paradox too. You just have to research the company you are interested in and talk to current and former employees. Gamasutra is a great resource.

Hope that helps!

Offline kasnavada

• Hero Member Mark II
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 08:42:54 am »
and have specifically avoided the larger gaming companies because we know what it's like.
I realize this is from 5 years ago but would you mind telling me what you meant by this? I'm currently wanting to go to college for programming and I'm considering trying to get into the gaming industry and trying to join one of those larger gaming companies, specifically... a dream job would be at Blizzard Entertainment.

Problem is that a lot of people want to do that. It's doable, but worth it ? From what returns I had from former colleagues (I work in France in IT)...

Demand >>>> offer, there is lots of competition, lots of back-stabbing, low wages, high hours, low respect, easy lay-off and so on. And everyone wants to be devs, but actually if you do look at the credits screen... most people working on a video game are not devs. It's probably easier to enter into a game company by not doing development in the first place.

Second point "working" as a dev in the game industry... does not mean you'll do the fun stuff. Mostly means being a "code monkey". Game developers are not game designers in large structures. You'll be given a task, then you'll execute it, and probably another team will be in charge of the tests. Basically if what you want to do is code, you could code a website or a program for a bank, or a program to switch phone numbers around and there would be little difference in what you're doing from game dev. If you want to have a say on how the game is designed, don't focus on code. Go for management-like schools and get credit for designing stuff like board games, managing teams and leading, and / or find a few friends / associates which focus on dev. Then find an idea, investors and create a company, or join a company at that level directly.

Last, the "game" industry is not stable. Most games fail to make a profit too. I don't know what your life plans are, but personally I need something more stable.

It's only *my* personnal opinion, but if I had to try to get into that, my 'best' way to do what I think of the fun stuff would be to go indy on my free time until I succeed, then move to get bigger. Competition is very fierce and probably you won't make a profit and lose a lot of your free time. That said, I'm a very cautious person.

PS: I'm being quite pessimistic in my approach. That's part of my nature - I'm not very competitive and I'm cautious about what can prevent me from having a roof and food. It's probably very much doable for someone which takes more risks IRL than what I do (which is low). Just be aware that your "dream job" may be less dreamy than you think =).

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 09:33:31 am »
@kasnavada: That more or less exactly sums up my feelings.  I only went indie fulltime after AI War was already making good money.  It was still a big risk that I was uncomfortable with, but I had an excellent job I could return to if things failed, so I had that safety net that made me take the jump.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk