Author Topic: What video game would give you the most nostalgic feeling if you played it?  (Read 57862 times)

Offline Diphenoxy

If you were to choose any video game from your past, which video game would give you more nostalgia than any other game?

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
Baldurs gate  ;)
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Tossup for me between final fantasy 6 and chrono trigger.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Echo35

• Master Member Mark II
  • More turrets! MORE TURRETS!
Baldurs gate  ;)

I came here to say Master of Orion or X-COM, but I do remember playing that game for hours upon hours.

Offline eRe4s3r

• Core Member Mark II
Hehe ;) This is nostalgia no? The thing you remember the most vivid from back then. I was close to mention the settlers or diablo but only Baldurs Gate really stuck in my mind. Its probably what influenced me the most. I'd even go so far as to say that that game is what got me into 3d-design - i wanted to do backgrounds like those! ;P
Proud member of the Initiative for Bigger Weapons EV. - Bringer of Additive Blended Doom - Vote for Lore, get free cookie

Offline Sunshine!

• Sr. Member Mark III
A proper Deus Ex multiplayer game, followed by Deus Ex single player (which I still play, so...)

Offline Echo35

• Master Member Mark II
I was close to mention the settlers or diablo but only Baldurs Gate really stuck in my mind.

I remember networking a bunch of computers with my friends and playing Baulder's Gate and HoMM3 long into the small hours of the morning.

Offline Otagan

Definitely TIE Fighter.  I'm planning on configuring and firing up the DOS version in the near future, as a matter of fact, for this very reason.

Offline RCIX

• Core Member Mark II
  • Avatar credit goes to Spookypatrol on League forum
It might show my age a bit, but Diddy Kong Racing. :)
Avid League player and apparently back from the dead!

If we weren't going for your money, you wouldn't have gotten as much value for it!

Oh, wait... *causation loop detonates*

Offline Sunshine!

• Sr. Member Mark III
Diddy Kong Racing was pretty baller, except I could never beat Wizpig...

Offline zoutzakje

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Crosshatch Conqueror
I'd say the very first Unreal. I played that game the very first time about 10 years ago, when I was 9 or 10 years old. It was the first 3D game I ever played. For a while I really enjoyed it until I got stuck and gave up after 2 hours of trying (I was still impatient with games as a kid lol). I had completely forgotten about that game until I found out about it on steam 6 months ago. Was so great hearing that main theme again and replaying the part I managed to do all these years ago. I even still remembered where I had to go. Only this time I actually managed to clear the game and I laughed at myself for getting stuck so long ago lol.

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
The very first Descent. Me and my friend used to play that over serial network connection many many years ago. That was teh sweetness. And while we're at it, we can add in Rise of the Triad as well.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline cupogoodness

• Arcen Games business development/Jack of all trades
  • Arcen Staff
Probably not a standard (for the question I mean) but Super Punch Out for SNES.

I played it all the time, I remember playing it that hour before I was forced off to school, one of those games that you just wanted a taste to get your day started right. I got so good at it that it was at a point where I was trying to shave off time by hundredths of a second to get the best time and a better score. I remember lamenting over the lack of two-player competitive, as I felt at the time that I would destroy anyone, which is stupid to think about now since all I did was gradually memorize the AI sequences and figure out how to counter them for the swiftest victory.

I make sure at least one month out of the year I have my SNES plugged in and available full time, SPO always has a spot reserved (along with FFIV, FFVI, CT, SoM, SMW, Mario Kart and NBA Jam TE, that's actually a pretty ambitious month if you want to complete all the RPGs.)

Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Zombies Ate My Neighbors. I could never get to the end of that endurance test of a game, but it was always fun trying.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 06:24:33 am by cupogoodness »

Offline Echo35

• Master Member Mark II
Probably not a standard (for the question I mean) but Super Punch Out for SNES.

I played it all the time, I remember playing it that hour before I was forced off to school, one of those games that you just wanted a taste to get your day started right. I got so good at it that it was at a point where I was trying to shave off time by hundredths of a second to get the best time and a better score. I remember lamenting over the lack of two-player competitive, as I felt at the time that I would destroy anyone, which is stupid to think about now since all I did was gradually memorize the AI sequences and figure out how to counter them for the swiftest victory.

I make sure at least one month out of the year I have my SNES plugged in and available full time, SPO always has a spot reserved (along with FFIV, FFVI, CT, SoM, SMW, Mario Kart and NBA Jam TE, that's actually a pretty ambitious month if you want to complete all the RPGs.)

Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Zombies Ate My Neighbors. I could never get to the end of that endurance test of a game, but it was always fun trying.

I actually got Mike Tyson's Punchout and Zombies Ate my Neighbors recently. I'm a bit of a retro game nut :P

Offline chemical_art

• Core Member Mark IV
  • Fabulous
Hmmm, choices...

Jet Moto for the PSX was my first game, and is fun to this day
Metal Gear Solid is the scripted game I beat most repeatedly. I must have beat it a dozen times. Still fun.
Master of Orion is the great grand daddy of all 4X games in my book. Starting to get dated, but its simple so it makes a good game to just jump into.

but as good as all these are, I must go with

Pokemon. That is the game that drags out the nostalgia. I am getting goosebumps right now just thinking about the memories, they were so numerous. I remember fighting a kid who thought Ivysaur could beat Blastoise (Ice Beam, Bisnatch), coming up with all sorts of crazy trade deals with friends (we would trade a dozen pokemon per trade session). I remember using a gameshark to clone a friend's mew, corrupting it, then the both of us trying to recover the lost pokemon before his mom got home and got mad (lol).

*sigh* I'm nostalgia for it right now. Let me dig up that game...
Life is short. Have fun.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk