Author Topic: What's this? Velociraptors! Cannibalism! Oh my.  (Read 19237 times)

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: What's this? Velociraptors! Cannibalism! Oh my.
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2012, 11:05:10 am »
Wow, that just keeps going up and up -- very impressive!

Do you know where you got the attention from?  Was there some specific large site (4chan, Slashdot, reddit, etc) that did a lot of coverage?
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2012, 02:02:37 pm »
Wow, that just keeps going up and up -- very impressive!

Do you know where you got the attention from?  Was there some specific large site (4chan, Slashdot, reddit, etc) that did a lot of coverage?

The bulk of it has been from the Kickstarter weekly newsletter--222 pledges have come in from that--at least, for the initial boost that took us from 2.5k to 13.5k.

We're also in rotation to appear on the Kickstarter homepage, although that's relatively insignificant (26 pledges).

As to where, exactly, they're coming from on a day to day basis, I think it's mostly "direct URL" (which I believe includes our VelociraptorCannibalism.com url), searches on Kickstarter for us, and the Board & Card Games discovery page.  Almost anything else is been pretty static, not that I've been keeping daily totals, just there are a few I've been keeping a head-count of to see if they change (i.e. I've got an ad up on a site I use and only three pledges have come from there so far...unless they're falling into "direct URL" bucket due to the redirect, and the three have been from posted journals, hmm, oh well).

We have gotten several reviews done, and one shout-out from TunnelBiscuit, who does video game reviews on YouTube (who is apparently well known and followed), though I think their impact has been fairly small.

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2012, 02:13:39 pm »
TunnelBiscuit
Do you mean TotalBiscuit?  Or is that his DF-alter-ego? ;)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2012, 02:50:18 pm »
If it was TotalBiscuit, you probably have him to thank for a large chunk of your success.  That guy is a powerhouse on Youtube.
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2012, 04:00:04 pm »
If it was TotalBiscuit, you probably have him to thank for a large chunk of your success.  That guy is a powerhouse on Youtube.

Yes!  TotalBiscuit.
Just goes to show that I have no idea who he is. :P

And I don't think he's made that much of an impact, honestly.  If people are hearing it from him, hitting Kickstarter, and searching for it (as he didn't give a link), then we've only gotten 26 pledges that way...most of which we'd had before his video went up.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2012, 04:19:44 pm »
Fair enough!  He's got like 100k+ subs on youtube, though, so it can't have hurt.

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2012, 05:32:39 pm »
Fair enough!  He's got like 100k+ subs on youtube, though, so it can't have hurt.

Oh goodness no, I doubt it could have hurt. :)

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
  • if (isInRange(target)) { kill(target); }
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2012, 07:13:08 am »

Yes!  TotalBiscuit.
Just goes to show that I have no idea who he is. :P

And I don't think he's made that much of an impact, honestly.  If people are hearing it from him, hitting Kickstarter, and searching for it (as he didn't give a link), then we've only gotten 26 pledges that way...most of which we'd had before his video went up.
BLASPHEMY! Or...something. I really like that guy, for the most part. He's helped SO many indie devs get their games noticed.
Click here to get started with Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports.

Thank you for contributing to making the game better!

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2012, 04:19:56 am »
As a matter of fact, he broke 500k+ a few months ago. So he's likely around 600k now. :P

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2012, 08:39:47 am »
Wow that's moving fast. I'm behind the times!

Offline Mánagarmr

• Core Member Mark V
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2012, 10:57:25 am »
Just checked. He's up to 647k. :D

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2012, 02:33:05 pm »
Just checked. He's up to 647k. :D

See, here's the funny thing about names:
http://www.youtube.com/user/TotalBiscuit
http://www.youtube.com/user/TotalHalibut

As I have never heard of the guy, I don't know for sure if those two accounts are the same guy or not.
The former is the guy being discussed, the latter is the guy with 600k subs.

Offline x4000

• Arcen Staff
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2012, 02:36:24 pm »
Same guy, yeah.

Offline BobTheJanitor

• Master Member Mark II
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2012, 06:42:47 pm »
He made the second channel to split off his Starcraft 2 content, which he does a lot of, from his general gaming content. Mainly to keep it from choking everything else out in his viewers' video lists. It was pretty well announced at the time for everyone who had been watching it, and I guess he just assumed going forwards that people would just find it like they usually do, by being linked the videos or just searching for Starcraft or whatever. But yeah, there's nothing specifically to link them together, on the other hand there's no reason you really need to know that both are the same guy since they cater to somewhat different groups.

I know far too much about random youtube superstars.  :-X

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2012, 05:44:05 pm »
He made the second channel to split off his Starcraft 2 content, which he does a lot of, from his general gaming content.

Ah, that makes sense.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk