Author Topic: Unity upgrade from v3.1 to v3.3  (Read 5311 times)

Offline Shardz

Unity upgrade from v3.1 to v3.3
« on: March 08, 2011, 08:40:22 pm »
Greetings all!

Since we just had the AI War v5.03 update and Chris mentioned this also updates us to the new v3.3 of Unity, I decided to ask a question before setting off a bomb that I can't fix.  ;D

For Chris and/or Keith: Was your transition from v3.1 to v3.3 smooth without losing any previously installed packages? Is the process transparent, or does it attempt to uninstall the entire thing and reinstall - leaving me to break out my Backup.7z to manually restore my work files?

I read some posts at the Unity forums where some mentioned the fact that all of their previous assets had not made it over during the upgrade process. And are there any growing pains, hitches, anomalies, or other various sundry items of note before I make the move? Even though I have the entire root backed up, I am too far along on my game to chance a meltdown scenario.

Any advice or foresight would be greatly appreciated!   :D

Best regards,

Shardz

Offline x4000

• Chris McElligott Park, Arcen Founder and Lead Dev
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
Re: Unity upgrade from v3.1 to v3.3
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 07:37:12 am »
We didn't have any such problems. But unlike most unity developers, we use as few compile-time assets as possible. We literally have under 30, and it's all fonts and GUI textures. Not any sounds or in-game images.

Our practice is to load all those over sorts of files at runtime, directly from disk. It keeps things simpler on a whole ton of levels, and keeps those raw files as accessible to players invade they want to alter images, sounds, music, or loca files.

So no worries. :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games?  Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk