Author Topic: Shrugger! Unity!  (Read 121069 times)

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
  • Neinzul Y PzKpfw Tiger!
Re: Shrugger! Unity!
« Reply #180 on: February 10, 2014, 03:55:22 am »
Don't worry, you can always hide behind some debris or a capital ship - they don't do collision avoidance yet.

Sound is in, HUD is in, the number of background objects was significantly increased, to the point of them becoming foreground objects and a safety hazard - but pretty! And fun. My brother also insisted on seeing capital ships, so we changed the randomisation code to sometimes make everything a lot bigger, with a lot more turrets.

The F1-AR3 Orion was a LEMUR-Class destroyer armed with one superheavy autoloading artillery piece, 18 Autocannons and 3 Laser turrets, weighting in at 4 tons and requiring almost all of the fleet's budget. Immediately after being given the Weapons Free!, she filled the battlefield with fire and lag, until a single bullet from a small fighter craft pierced her unarmoured hull and killed her only pilot.

We have now added a rudimentary hit point system to give ships durability based on their mass; this will remain in place until component damage is properly implemented.

My brother now lobbies for ships to have bayonets. I am beginning to doubt his decisions.
The beatings shall continue
until morale improves!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #181 on: February 10, 2014, 09:18:12 am »
until a single bullet from a small fighter craft pierced her unarmoured hull and killed her only pilot.

Someone used The Force.

My brother now lobbies for ships to have bayonets. I am beginning to doubt his decisions.

http://365tomorrows.com/08/31/bleeding-edge/

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
  • Zenith Council Member Mark III
« Reply #182 on: February 10, 2014, 09:36:13 am »
Unmanned bayonets moving at relativistic velocities would be enormously effective against... well, anything they could hit.

Manned bayonets moving anything like that fast would require a Hive Mind race or... well, I guess we've seen societies that produce guys like that, so yea ;)

Though it would look a bit odd for the chief engineer to go from monitoring the fusion plant to starting up the drumming for "Ramming Speed!"
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #183 on: February 10, 2014, 10:43:00 am »
Actually, ramming is currently the default option for ships that run out of ammo.
until morale improves!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #184 on: February 10, 2014, 10:56:33 am »
That's some serious crew discipline :)
Have ideas or bug reports for one of our games? Mantis for Suggestions and Bug Reports. Thanks for helping to make our games better!

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #185 on: February 10, 2014, 11:51:10 am »
Well, their only other option is watching their comrades fight and die around them, or running away to hide in a lifeless debris field. At least they can still feel useful that way :P

Or maybe I should just implement resupplies and victory conditions.
until morale improves!

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #186 on: February 10, 2014, 12:25:21 pm »
Manned bayonets moving anything like that fast would require a Hive Mind race or... well, I guess we've seen societies that produce guys like that, so yea ;)

That's why I linked the story.  They had a culture that demanded hand-to-hand combat, even in space, so their tech reflected that.

And they were god damn effective.  One because their armor was basically indestructible (on account of having been manufactured to cut through most anything), two because the only spot where damage was meaningful was very tiny, and three because they won games of chicken without flinching.

Doesn't even require relativistic speeds.  Simply "moving fast enough" is enough to really bugger up your opponent if his ship can't handle being cut in half (loss of crew? No, we can seal breached areas.  On the other hand...the bridge isn't connected to the engines any more...).

And yes, I can pretty much dig up a 365th Tomorrow for just about any topic inside science fiction.

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #187 on: February 10, 2014, 12:58:00 pm »
Actually, ramming is currently the default option for ships that run out of ammo.
Is there shouting involved?

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #188 on: February 10, 2014, 01:06:54 pm »
In that story?  Unlikely. :P

Offline Aklyon

• Core Member
« Reply #189 on: February 10, 2014, 01:15:39 pm »
No, I was asking Khan. its not likely to be in that story unless its by the guys being rammed :)

Offline Draco18s

• Resident Velociraptor
  • Core Member Mark V
« Reply #190 on: February 10, 2014, 01:23:23 pm »
No, I was asking Khan. its not likely to be in that story unless its by the guys being rammed :)

Touche. :P

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #191 on: February 10, 2014, 02:34:48 pm »
Is there shouting involved?
It definitely ought to be. Thanks for the suggestion  ;D
until morale improves!

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #192 on: February 14, 2014, 09:00:45 am »
Little question for the space fans in here:

How can an attack by a weaponised LASER be detected and/or traced back to its source?

This obviously assumes a miss, but feel free to describe cases of direct hits, too.
until morale improves!

Offline keith.lamothe

• Arcen Games Staff
  • Arcen Staff
« Reply #193 on: February 14, 2014, 09:12:15 am »
Little question for the space fans in here:

How can an attack by a weaponised LASER be detected and/or traced back to its source?

This obviously assumes a miss, but feel free to describe cases of direct hits, too.
Assuming multiple optical (or whatever part of the spectrum is involved) sensors mounted on different spots on the hull, the line could probably be visualized and triangulated.  Depending on temporal resolution and range it might actually give two possible origins, but probably the ship knows which side the enemy was coming from.

For a direct hit, assuming the sensors aren't knocked offline, I figure the same approach would work, but it'd be clearer which side got hit (even if it punched through, though if that happens the sheer transfer energy of the hit would probably be fairly catastrophic).

Though in general I suspect that a warship armed for short-range engagement, in energy range, where the enemy doesn't already know its location... the enemy won't have much of a chance to reply.  Of course it depends on relative durability and power, etc.

And of course there's stand-off weapons like missiles that shoot lasers when they explode, where tracing it won't help you, but anyway.

Offline Shrugging Khan

• Hero Member Mark III
« Reply #194 on: February 14, 2014, 09:18:13 am »
So what kind of sensor technology would I use to even notice that a beam has been fired in the first place?

Unless it cooks my fuel tank, then it'll be kinda obvious.
until morale improves!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk